Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horse has gone berserk.  (Read 1500 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Horse has gone berserk.
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:08 am »

Ok, so I had this little issue with my bridges being torn down by infants in another thread

At any rate, this caused the merchants (and accompanying liason) to have to stay a little while longer they would have. Not long. Maybe like.... 2 days in game while the thing rebuilt. They fare me well, mosey on off.... and every single one of them goes berserk or melancholy on the way back. Even the horse and 3 mules. The horse seems to have gone berserk, then melancholy. Now, this isnt really a problem, I guess. The berserk ones got slaughtered by their own guards, the melancholy ones are just moping, and the raving ones are not only dumping their clothes, but everything they were carrying at the time. The liason himself is cool with it, he strolled off in a fine mood. What the **** happened?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Horse has gone berserk.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:55:02 am »

How long have they been there exactly? If merchants stay too long, then they (including their animals), will go insane in various ways. To me it sounds like your merchants were just over that time limit, causing them to go insane, where the liaison got lucky and landed just under his time limit for insanity, allowing him to escape fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:51 am »

If merchants stay too long

If they can't get off the map in time

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:12:11 am »

Liasons donīt care how long they have to wait. As my baron was pretty busy doing other stuff he ignored the liasons for years.
Then as I finally stopped giving him work he attended the meetings. He needed like over a year to get through the dozens or so liasons.
Merchants go insane but Liasons are just chilling.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »

Liasons donīt care how long they have to wait. As my baron was pretty busy doing other stuff he ignored the liasons for years.
Then as I finally stopped giving him work he attended the meetings. He needed like over a year to get through the dozens or so liasons.
Unless you sort of just built walls around your liason, then killed/replaced your leader, then the liason would get disappointed, try leaving, and go insane.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:48 pm »

Unless you sort of just built walls around your liason, then killed/replaced your leader, then the liason would get disappointed, try leaving, and go insane.
Exception noted.
Of course when you do that you want him to go insane and most likely train some recruits :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »

Exception noted.
Of course when you do that you want him to go insane and most likely train some recruits :P

Or you just want to get rid of a noble, and an insane diplomat is a bonus :)

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »

Exception noted.

Hmm, Now I know what I will do on my next fort. Make my baron/major super busy until I have arround 10-20 different liasons in the fortress. Than burrow the noble, seal the entrance and then replace/"replace" him. Insane berserker will attack anything in sight, donīt they?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »

Exception noted.

Hmm, Now I know what I will do on my next fort. Make my baron/major super busy until I have arround 10-20 different liasons in the fortress. Than burrow the noble, seal the entrance and then replace/"replace" him. Insane berserker will attack anything in sight, donīt they?
Berserk dorf corps ;]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »

Pretty much any time someone decides "Time to go!" and discovers he can't. A few weeks/months later, insanity!

Exception noted.

Berserk dorf corpse ;]
Fixed that. The 3-7 out of the 10-20 that go berserk will likely kill each other (and the 7-13 that go melancholy or plain ol' mad), and if not, there won't be tons of training for the recruits. You'd better have them ready...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

Bridge controlled cells work well. If your fort is about to die, a open all doors lever is brilliant :P

Alternatively, keep raising a berserk army, abandon, reclaim, and attempt to retake a now infested insane asylum.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »

This has got to be the only game where people want to get away from what you've created so quickly that they will go insane trying to do so.

I am also in full support of weaponizing this. If you do, would you mind updating us?
*insert witty signature here*

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »

Trapped merchants can be released through the cavern layers. They will happily walk down a 3x3 ramped path to the edge of the cavern map just as they would if they had a path to the surface. Take suitable precautions against forgotten beasts (or not) and you'll never have stir-crazy merchants again.

What you're experiencing is more or less how Dwarf Fortress works. A child goes crazy from seeing violence, so she disrupts everything and merchants go crazy. On the bad days a berserk horse will kick your mayor in the head, driving more dwarves to insanity and chaos until they're all eaten by a great steel fire-breathing badger from the cavern layers you accidentally released while trying to construct a merchant escape ramp.

This is known as "fun" colloquially.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.