Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help!! Dwarf wants to build something!!!  (Read 637 times)

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help!! Dwarf wants to build something!!!
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:36 pm »

Alright, I don't know what I am missing/why he won't build his construction (possessed).

He is saying this:

"needs cloth... thread..."
"needs tree... life..."
"needs rough... color..."
"needs stone... rock..."
"needs bones... yes..."
"needs bars... metal..."

So, currently at the shop he is sitting at he has:

2 gabbro (stone)
3 badger sow bone (bone)
1 birch logs (wood)

So what he needs still is:
"bars... metal..."
"rough... color..."
"cloth... thread..."

Now, I have many bars of silver and copper so I don't know why he is not taking them. I cannot make any other kinds atm. Oh! And I have one steel bar.

For Rough...color... what the hell is he talking about? I tried dying cloth but he is still sitting there. What else could it be?

For cloth... thread... i have many threads of cloth, and i tried shearing and also spinning cloth but he still is not taking any.

So, what is wrong?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Help!! Dwarf wants to build something!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »

Do you have plant thread, animal yarn/thread and spider silk thread?

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:57:37 pm »

I've got 40 rope reed fiber cloth. (cloth)

I've got 38 giant cave spider silk thread. (thread)
I've got 30 cave spider silk thread. (thread)

That is it for cloth and thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:23 pm »

Then you need to go to the farmer's workshop, shear some yaks and spin that thread ASAP!!!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:01:00 pm »

rough color is uncut gems.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »

"needs rough... color..." means uncut gems.  Are there any clusters of uncut gems your miners can get to in short order?

The wiki has a page on strange moods: df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Mood  It lists all the demands made during the different moods and what they mean.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »

Then you need to go to the farmer's workshop, shear some yaks and spin that thread ASAP!!!

should i weave the cloth as well?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »

should i weave the cloth as well?

I'd say having one of every cloth and thread minimum is a good idea! Also, you might want to put a door outside your Dorf's workshop... In case of berkserk button the accidentally everything.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »

"needs rough... color..." means uncut gems.  Are there any clusters of uncut gems your miners can get to in short order?

The wiki has a page on strange moods: df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Mood  It lists all the demands made during the different moods and what they mean.
i have many uncut gems but they seem to be all in bins

do i have to have them out of the bin? i dont really know how to do that haha

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:12 pm »

woop... there he goes... he went stark raving mad!

well, we tried XD

i will have to find a new manager now...

anyway, thank you for helping! I learned a few things haha

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »

The lists of demands and items in your post don't add up.  When a dwarf gets items for a strange mood, they always gather them in order.  The first item gathered will depend on the skill being mooded - stone for masonry or stonecrafting, wood for carpentry or woodcrafting, bone for bonecrafting, etc.  They will gather each item after that in exact order, and if they don't have an item they won't skip it and get a later one.  This is helpful, as you can look at the list and the items already gathered and tell where on the list the dwarf is stuck.

Except your lists don't match up.  He's gathered stone, bone, and wood, which aren't in order on the list.  So you've listed his demands out of order, or missed a material.  Check the materials gathered and the list of demands again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »

The lists of demands and items in your post don't add up.  When a dwarf gets items for a strange mood, they always gather them in order.  The first item gathered will depend on the skill being mooded - stone for masonry or stonecrafting, wood for carpentry or woodcrafting, bone for bonecrafting, etc.  They will gather each item after that in exact order, and if they don't have an item they won't skip it and get a later one.  This is helpful, as you can look at the list and the items already gathered and tell where on the list the dwarf is stuck.

Except your lists don't match up.  He's gathered stone, bone, and wood, which aren't in order on the list.  So you've listed his demands out of order, or missed a material.  Check the materials gathered and the list of demands again.

well, yes I kind of listed them randomly... haha i didn't know where it starts or ends! well, until you just told me :P

i just alt tabbed and wrote down the first one i saw that was not there