Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 62845 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Day 1
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

Why are you being so careless with your posts. A preview would have made it really obvious that something was wrong with your quotes.
Why are you nitpicking?
Andrew425 I'm being thorough. Scum aren't going to reveal themselves. You're deflecting my inquiries. Why?

Deflecting your inquiries? I'm asking you why you are nitpicking the fact the he messed up his post. It seems like you're grasping for straws. Find an actual argument instead of that bs.

I think it's a valid question, why do you think it isn't?
Because your question goes along the lines of 'you can choose to lynch the first person to sign up or the last, whom will you choose?'. There is equal probability of cop claiming and scum counter-fakeclaiming and vice versa. There are far too many other things to consider to simplify the situation to such a question.

And how then is it any less valid then any other sort of RVS type question?

Chaos Armor: You've been less then forthcoming with any sort of answers, and haven't been hunting. Is it laziness, scuminess or noobishness?

Jim As a IC do you think that when you vote, people are more likely to bandwagon behind you? Does this stop you from going after people?

Strategia Welcome to the game! Let's say you are the doctor tonight, which one of us would you be most likely to save?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »

Jim As a IC do you think that when you vote, people are more likely to bandwagon behind you? Does this stop you from going after people?

Yes, and no.

I'm the IC. I've got the arguments to back up any assertion I can make. If people vote my targets then it's not a surprise.

I don't really stop going after people just because people are bandwagoning with my arguments. All it does is make me look at the people just agreeing with me.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »

As far as I can tell, OMGUS applies when someone gets attacked, and then turns around on their attacker, with or without lynch vote, more or less because they're being attacked, rather than for any other reason. Given that, as far as I can tell, Phantom only voted me because I pitbulled him, I see it as an OMGUS.

Mod/ICs:Didn't know that votes get carried over, do the same questions that people asked stormtemplar get directed to Strategia?

I'd assume that any questions to stormtemplar were directed at him specifically, however I'll try to answer any question directed at me.

Phantom of the Library, why are you covering for zombie urist, chainsawing people who investigate him? Protecting your scumbuddy?

You have a few posts you could link to that make you think this way?

While I admit "chainsawing" may have been a hyperbole, and I used the term at least in part because I pulled it off the glossary in the first post, this reply turned a nagging suspicion into alarm bells for me. Phantom is defending urist for apparently no particular reason, and essentially speaking for him. If my opening, shall we say, inquiry was rather on the vicious side, then maybe it turns out that I'm a vicious player.

What first set me off was this post however. He'd already thrown open scum accusations around for little reason, and here's also the first time he's gone on the defensive after being called out on it and some mild prodding (even without the pointed language I used later). He seems eager to paint the slightest suspicion anyone has of him as a scumtell, right down to the first question Andrew asked of him. A more minor point is the fact that in his reply to Tiruin's hypothetical question, the last part of his post, Phantom's a little too eager to say that he's town and the hypothetical cop is scum, which bends and twists the question horribly. There's the WIFOM of this post, asking me whether I would defend a scumbuddy (which is either a way to get me to help him seem less scummy, or a gateway to more WIFOM), and then there's this post, where he accuses me of being scum just for deigning to attack him. He's even outright lying here; he has never once defended Tiruin as far as I can tell, so this just paints his defence of zombie urist in an even scummier light.

The more I think about it, the more I am sure. Phantom of the Library is scum. We lynch scum.

Strategia Welcome to the game! Let's say you are the doctor tonight, which one of us would you be most likely to save?

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't given much thought to the matter, but off the top of my head, possibly you or Tiruin. I'd have to do a thorough re-reading of the thread so far if I was to make an actual decision, though.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »

I knew I forgot something. zombie urist himself doesn't look that squeaky clean; here he's throwing a baseless scum accusation at Andrew, and he's jumping on the Chaos Armor bandwagon. I strongly believe he's Phantom's scumbuddy, but Phantom is the more dangerous of the two in my eyes. Let's lynch zombie urist after we get rid of Phantom, shall we?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:20 pm »

While I admit "chainsawing" may have been a hyperbole, and I used the term at least in part because I pulled it off the glossary in the first post, this reply turned a nagging suspicion into alarm bells for me. Phantom is defending urist for apparently no particular reason, and essentially speaking for him. If my opening, shall we say, inquiry was rather on the vicious side, then maybe it turns out that I'm a vicious player.

What the hell are you talking about, Phantom of the Library is clarifying a point on behalf of Tiruin, not zombie urist.

He's even outright lying here; he has never once defended Tiruin as far as I can tell, so this just paints his defence of zombie urist in an even scummier light.

See the point above.

If you're going to make a devastating and sweeping accusation you might try to make sure you have your facts straight first.

Let's lynch zombie urist after we get rid of Phantom, shall we?

If your arguments are good they will stand well enough on their own that you don't have to resort to asking people to vote with you.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:03 am »

Oh no.

No, no no no.

We do not agree on who to lynch first unless we are sure of who is who. Or at least have a good feel on it.

That Chaos Armor Bandwagon isn't one because: It is in bold, no color. He isn't voting on him, just asking a question.

Andrew425: You haven't answered my question. Last post I made before this.
ansontan2000: Busy there? You were online until Jan 22 and are not replying, last post was on Jan 21, both forum time. Lurking?

PPE (Post by Jim): Unvote Strategia: You are very intent on lynching Phantom and/or zombie urist there and you expect them to already be scum. I don't think defending was the right word he used, clarifying seems better as zombie urist looks like he's taking my words at a wrong angle.

StrategiaLet's say you are the doctor tonight, which one of us would you be most likely to save?

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't given much thought to the matter, but off the top of my head, possibly you or Tiruin. I'd have to do a thorough re-reading of the thread so far if I was to make an actual decision, though.
And specifically why either me or Andrew? (@Andrew425: I think you should put a 'and why?' statement there, or in most of your questions. Helps with the explanation.)

Chaos Armor: You've been giving blunt answers the whole day and aren't helping in the conversation at all. If you're town, then you know you are innocent and will defend yourself, if you're scum, then you still would defend yourself.

Why aren't you doing anything, short of discussion?![/b]

zombie urist: I am a newbie, what difference does it make in this?

Mod Requesting votecount please.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2012, 02:29:09 am »

Why are you being so careless with your posts. A preview would have made it really obvious that something was wrong with your quotes.
Why are you nitpicking?
Andrew425 I'm being thorough. Scum aren't going to reveal themselves. You're deflecting my inquiries. Why?
Deflecting your inquiries? I'm asking you why you are nitpicking the fact the he messed up his post. It seems like you're grasping for straws. Find an actual argument instead of that bs.
Unvote Ok this is the problem when you don't quote completely. I thought you were the one that messed up the post when instead it was actually Ansontan. I'll let him respond before I continue further with these arguments. The only way to find scum is to question everything. He already made a pretty obvious mistake, so I'm just pressuring him more.

However it does feel strange that you're calling me out on his behalf. All your posts are very short and mostly consist of you asking other people questions. Are you going to do anything other than just ask questions?

I knew I forgot something. zombie urist himself doesn't look that squeaky clean; here he's throwing a baseless scum accusation at Andrew, and he's jumping on the Chaos Armor bandwagon. I strongly believe he's Phantom's scumbuddy, but Phantom is the more dangerous of the two in my eyes. Let's lynch zombie urist after we get rid of Phantom, shall we?
I'm asking chaos armor questions about his responses, which I've been doing since my first post. You are very insistent on the "we" and are really eager and absolute in your decisions. Any specific reason you consider Phantom to be so dangerous?

zombie urist: I am a newbie, what difference does it make in this?
Same point Jim made to stormtemplar earlier. None. Don't expect sympathy for being a newbie. When you pointed out that it was you "first real game", it looked like you were trying to make yourself look less experienced as to get some slack.
You also seem to be merely repeating a lot of things other people said especially Jim and myself. Do you have anything original to contribute?

ansontan2000 My still standing questions to you: why didn't you post like you said and why didn't you check that previous post you made before submitting?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:13 am »

zombie urist: To be clear, I am not relying on my newness here so anyone can give me slack. In fact, I hoped nobody would notice that tiny indention and would treat me just like everyone else-- a Mafia player. I do not want any sympathy, nor do I want any kind of holding back and I'm obviously not asking for it.

Phantom fixed that up, if you missed it. My last game was BM XXIX, and I was a replacement on that, far in game too so I only experienced part of it yet had to read all of it.

*Points at title* Beginner's Mafia.

And by repeating? You make it seem like only you and Jim are giving substantial amounts of information to this whole game by that single sentence in itself. If you feel that I'm posting huge walls of text just to look active, then say so. But read what I have in my posts before you say that.

I would've also been called out by the ICs if I've done nothing but repeat repeat repeat. They are the impartial source of information, and are here to help all of us. Even if they are scum.

But back on topic, shall we? Before we continue this pointless debate on how my newishness has any of it's effects on my own posts and written word. Why aren't you scumhunting? You, yourself stated that in your first post by the way.

All your posts are listed above by the way. In order.

Skipping the spoiler, it seems in my opinion that you have no inclination to give out your own questions-- an RVS question even, and are beginning to set out like you have outside information!

Also, not to answer for him/her but I guess Strategia already gave his/her reason why he/she considers Phantom to be dangerous. In that post.

Oh, right. Something original to contribute, got it.

zombie urist: I've underlined and outlined some very nice statements you made in orange above, in your posts. Its like, you have another source of information out there. You haven't given any RVS questions at all: this is what I meant by not asking any questions. Like you bother not to know anyone's style or what they would do in a given situation.

It's like when you say "give something original to contribute" means you want more info from them-- us, being the case; you aren't asking us anything short of Mafia itself. Like you're trying to set everyone else right, without adding to the hunt. You harrage us for lack of info, to say bluntly.

Like you're trying to get us to stop pressing the attack and lead us in circles by asking us to give answers from our complete lack of information. None know the roles of everyone else, except the scum who know those that must die for them to win!

I believe you're relying on someone else to get said information.

The pretty obvious mistake ansontan2000 did was in formatting, how does that make him scum? The reason for my unvote. For Andrew425, formatting also.

You also assaulted stormtemplar on...what question was that exactly? Wait, there was no question. What response was there to acknowledge, may I ask?

Also, all your votes are just based on pressuring them to answer you; none of which have any connection to spotting scum. Have you no real mark?

I apologize then, if I answer your question with a question:
Any reason why you're not scumhunting?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:30 am »

Sorry, it's Chinese new year and the past two days have been full of running around trying to prepare the house for the family.

Anyways,
Unvote, zombie urist: Where do I start? Oh, yes. First of all, this is NOT a discussion about the way to make your posts. This is a game of mafia.
Second, your continuous poking of me leads to me believing that you have absolutely NO lead at all on who is scum. Care to try and actually scumhunt mate? As Tiruin very kindly pointed out with his large spoiler, you have not been RVSing at all and have instead been poking at people, trying to nitpick, snipe, and bandwagon. Don't prod lurkers. Even beforehand you spent an awfully large amount of time poking stormtemplar. You asking why i'm being so forceful is completely irrelevant. Remember that this is not a friendly discussion.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:08 am »

zombie urist: To be clear, I am not relying on my newness here so anyone can give me slack. In fact, I hoped nobody would notice that tiny indention and would treat me just like everyone else-- a Mafia player. I do not want any sympathy, nor do I want any kind of holding back and I'm obviously not asking for it.
I'm not saying you are, but the fact that you even mentioned it made you look like you wanted sympathy.

And by repeating? You make it seem like only you and Jim are giving substantial amounts of information to this whole game by that single sentence in itself. If you feel that I'm posting huge walls of text just to look active, then say so. But read what I have in my posts before you say that. I would've also been called out by the ICs if I've done nothing but repeat repeat repeat. They are the impartial source of information, and are here to help all of us. Even if they are scum.
I'm not saying your walls of text are to look active. I'm just saying a lot of what you said, others have said already. Also you spent a lot of time going back and forth with Chaos Armor, without much to show for it. Sometimes even the IC's miss stuff. You also tend to repeat stuff within posts. In that post alone, you've said I haven't asked any RVS questions twice.

There's a serious communication issue between us. How did you conclude that 'only Jim and I were contributing' from that statement?

Skipping the spoiler, it seems in my opinion that you have no inclination to give out your own questions-- an RVS question even, and are beginning to set out like you have outside information!
It's true that I skipped the RVS stage. The reason for RVS is to get discussion started for the lack of anything better. When I joined, I thought people already contributed enough to skip that area. I don't understand how you jumped from "you're not asking RVS questions" to "you might be getting outside information". RVS is not a to get to know someone's playstyle. People say and do different things under different conditions. Also, hypotheticals very rarely play out exactly the way they are phrased in the game.

zombie urist: I've underlined and outlined some very nice statements you made in orange above, in your posts. Its like, you have another source of information out there. You haven't given any RVS questions at all: this is what I meant by not asking any questions. Like you bother not to know anyone's style or what they would do in a given situation.
How do the outlined statements lead to the conclusion of an outside information source? By going through all my posts and outlining the 'nice statements' leads to confirmation bias. See above on the RVS issue.

It's like when you say "give something original to contribute" means you want more info from them-- us, being the case; you aren't asking us anything short of Mafia itself. Like you're trying to set everyone else right, without adding to the hunt. You harrage us for lack of info, to say bluntly.
That's not what that means. I want you do your own scumhunting. A lot of what you've said so far are repeats, clarifications, and that side argument with Chaos Armor.

Like you're trying to get us to stop pressing the attack and lead us in circles by asking us to give answers from our complete lack of information. None know the roles of everyone else, except the scum who know those that must die for them to win!
I have no idea what this means.

The pretty obvious mistake ansontan2000 did was in formatting, how does that make him scum? The reason for my unvote. For Andrew425, formatting also.

You also assaulted stormtemplar on...what question was that exactly? Wait, there was no question. What response was there to acknowledge, may I ask?
I responded to his question, and he didn't acknowledge my response. Assault is such a strong word. Are you saying you unvoted ansontan because he made a formatting error? I'll get to ansontan in my next post.

Your entire post reads like an OMGUS, especially answering a question with the exact same question. The only reason that you're voting me is that I haven't asked any RVS questions. It looks like you've given up on Chaos Armor and are looking for a new target. What's wrong with my scumhunting?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »

zombie urist has been in Beginner's Mafias before.

WUH OH

Players who play in multiple Beginner's Mafias usually perform significantly better than completely new players. His 'nice source' is probably experience from other games, in which case, it's not surprising that he has a better idea of what to do and not indicative at all that he's getting outside help, i.e., Toaster.

You're also overestimating the importance of the RVS. It's much better to learn people's playstyles by watching what they do instead of asking them about it.

Also, all your votes are just based on pressuring them to answer you; none of which have any connection to spotting scum. Have you no real mark?

Right.

So, zombie urist isn't hunting. What about all that orange shit you highlighted? That looks like scumhunting to me.

Sorry, it's Chinese new year and the past two days have been full of running around trying to prepare the house for the family.

Anyways,
Unvote, zombie urist: Where do I start? Oh, yes. First of all, this is NOT a discussion about the way to make your posts. This is a game of mafia.
Second, your continuous poking of me leads to me believing that you have absolutely NO lead at all on who is scum. Care to try and actually scumhunt mate? As Tiruin very kindly pointed out with his large spoiler, you have not been RVSing at all and have instead been poking at people, trying to nitpick, snipe, and bandwagon. Don't prod lurkers. Even beforehand you spent an awfully large amount of time poking stormtemplar. You asking why i'm being so forceful is completely irrelevant. Remember that this is not a friendly discussion.

This is a transparent bandwagon.

Why are you bandwagoning transparently?

I can't think of anything significant you've done, yet here are you are voting for zombie urist while borrowing Tiruin's reasons wholesale and adding none of your own. That's, like, the definition of a bandwagon.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:55 pm »

I don't know what stormtemplar's motivations were, and my attack on you is not on false premises.
Actually you do.  You inherited his alignment when you replaced him if I'm not mistaken.  And as has been shown many times you are attacking on false premises.

And there's the almighty Mr. OMGUS. Like I said, I can't speak for stormtemplar, but I've only made one attack before this post. I got suspicious of you when I re-read the thread after joining, so I started pushing. It seems to be working too, you're being very defensive given that this is only my second interaction with you and I've only FoSed you so far. I can't say for sure you're not town, but you're giving me a funny feeling inside, and I'm not talking about the one where I buy you flowers and chocolate.

Actually my vote was not an OMGUS, it was what was called a Pressure Vote.  It's something that's done in RVS and the game in general. 
I was suspicious of stormtemplar before he dropped out and thought that he stood the highest chance of being scum out of anyone.  When you joined and attacked me right off the bat with several false claims I decided to lay a Pressure Vote on you and redact it around today if you seemed clean.  Guess what?  You look like a gigantic scumbag. 

You are relentlessly attacking me because I put a little pressure on you and claim that I am the one getting defensive.  Your original claim that I was covering urist has a grand total of ONE instance.  As Tiruin has provided examples of; I have defended Tiruin the same number of times as I have urist and have actually agreed with his points more than urist.  That is what I meant be defended him, I will admit that a better word to use might have been collaborated with.

For one, I have never attacked ansontan, he was my first and only vote, true, but I redacted the vote a while ago and have neither pressured nor attacked him in any way shape or form since, and other than my initial questioning I never have.

I'll concede you this on the grounds of RVS. I see he can be replaced in my argument however with Andrew245, another random target of yours.

You on the other hand seem to be carrying on stormtemplar's fine tradition of making attacks on false premises.

I don't know what stormtemplar's motivations were, and my attack on you is not on false premises.

Moreover I just defended Tiruin against zombie urist, if you could please show me all the times you claim I have "covered urist" other than the time that I defended him from stormtemplar when he was making a false claim.  In fact, overall I've defended Tiruin more than urist!  Do you have a single claim that actually holds up under scrutiny?

I haven't seen you defend Tiruin once, yet I have seen you speak for zombie urist. You didn't attack stormtemplar for making the false claim, you defended his target. You threw halfhearted attacks hither and yon, even after you started going after Chaos Armor.
In the same post you admit that this is RVS and then accuse me of attacking random people, I was under the impression that we were supposed to pressure multiple people in this stage.  My strategy that I have developed so far consists of putting pressure on any weakpoint I see in anyone until I find someone who looks scummy enough to go after, and to answer the coming question, this only became a solid plan and not a random idea after the question about my strategy.

As far as I can tell, OMGUS applies when someone gets attacked, and then turns around on their attacker, with or without lynch vote, more or less because they're being attacked, rather than for any other reason. Given that, as far as I can tell, Phantom only voted me because I pitbulled him, I see it as an OMGUS.

Mod/ICs:Didn't know that votes get carried over, do the same questions that people asked stormtemplar get directed to Strategia?

I'd assume that any questions to stormtemplar were directed at him specifically, however I'll try to answer any question directed at me.

A more minor point is the fact that in his reply to Tiruin's hypothetical question, the last part of his post, Phantom's a little too eager to say that he's town and the hypothetical cop is scum, which bends and twists the question horribly.

I fail to see how this is a horrible twisting of the question.  I was under the impression that the question was meant to be answered from town point of view only.  Here's an answer from the scum point of view if you so desire it: I would do the exact same thing.  Since anything other would label me as scum.

Also, you seem to be attempting to start a bandwagon:
The more I think about it, the more I am sure. Phantom of the Library is scum. We lynch scum.
Instead of providing a logical argument and proof to back it up, you seem to be trying to get everyone to hop onto your two chosen targets.

I can see a few possibilities here:
  • You're scum
  • You're lazy, given the fact that you claim to have read the entire game again this is unlikely
  • You somehow got this strange idea that townies are supposed to act like scum
  • You're sleep deprived
  • You're new and/or incompetent, possibly combined with any of the above.
Defend yourself Strategia.

PPE: Before you accuse me of lurking I didn't have the time yesterday to sit down and look at mafia, only enough to look at my other regularly visited places and make a couple posts.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »

I can see a few possibilities here:
  • You're scum
  • You're lazy, given the fact that you claim to have read the entire game again this is unlikely
  • You somehow got this strange idea that townies are supposed to act like scum
  • You're sleep deprived
  • You're new and/or incompetent, possibly combined with any of the above.
Defend yourself Strategia.

I'll start with this one right off the bat, as it saves me from giving the same reply several times. Your last two points are dead on. I live in Europe, GMT +1, and I submitted that post immediately after 5AM. Truth be told, I picked you for RVS, initially deciding to pressure you specifically rather than going after multiple people at once. The fact that stormtemplar was already attacking you had nothing to do with it, I have had absolutely no communication with him. I did pick up a funny feeling from some of your posts, but then I opened up far too viciously. One thing I interpreted from the opening post was that doubt was good to have but bad to show, and another was that you're supposed to press on in a scumhunt. By then, given the fact that I was already outright accusing you, I just ran with it. Combine that with the aforementioned fact that my previous post was written in the wee hours, and you get a perfect storm of suspicion and misinterpretation feeding each other.

Unvote for now, until I have a clearer picture of the game. I'm still keeping an eye on you, but I'll concede that a lot of what I already said was outright wrong.

And now the rest of my responses in chronological order.

If you're going to make a devastating and sweeping accusation you might try to make sure you have your facts straight first.

If your arguments are good they will stand well enough on their own that you don't have to resort to asking people to vote with you.

My sleep-addled brain thought it had the facts straight. As it turns out, I've been over-eager as well as vicious up to this point, so I'll try to dial it down to normal. I knew I didn't have much to go on, but I somehow thought that putting my suspicions out in the open at that point was the best thing to do. It kinda, wasn't. The suggestion to vote was meant to be rhetorical, part of my usual style. I don't often write it out, but I often imagine such rhetorical questions when I'm developing arguments to make a point.

That Chaos Armor Bandwagon isn't one because: It is in bold, no color. He isn't voting on him, just asking a question.

That's partially a result of interpreting common terms rather loosely. I saw several people pressuring Chaos Armor throughout the game, and I've seen some people keep their votes on him, so when zombie urist pressured Chaos Armor as well it looked like an easy bandwagon to me at the time, especially given that I was already accusing him of being scum.

And specifically why either me or Andrew? (@Andrew425: I think you should put a 'and why?' statement there, or in most of your questions. Helps with the explanation.)

I hadn't given much thought to it, and I mainly wanted to finish writing and go to bed so I didn't read the thread again. Basically, I thought Phantom and zombie were scum, I'd seen people pressuring Chaos Armor, and I hadn't seen any pressure being applied to the ICs, so that left the two of you. I still don't know who I'd protect, but if I actually was a doctor, I'd certainly give it some good thought. I don't know if I'd openly announce it though, for various reasons (letting the scum go after a townie I'm not protecting, or accidentally protecting scum which then tries to get me to protect them every night).

I'm asking chaos armor questions about his responses, which I've been doing since my first post. You are very insistent on the "we" and are really eager and absolute in your decisions. Any specific reason you consider Phantom to be so dangerous?

Sleep deprivation, 5AM, et cetera. The "Phantom is dangerous" bit is part of what I described above, taking a bad idea and running with it.

Actually my vote was not an OMGUS, it was what was called a Pressure Vote.  It's something that's done in RVS and the game in general. 
I was suspicious of stormtemplar before he dropped out and thought that he stood the highest chance of being scum out of anyone.  When you joined and attacked me right off the bat with several false claims I decided to lay a Pressure Vote on you and redact it around today if you seemed clean.  Guess what?  You look like a gigantic scumbag. 

You are relentlessly attacking me because I put a little pressure on you and claim that I am the one getting defensive.  Your original claim that I was covering urist has a grand total of ONE instance.  As Tiruin has provided examples of; I have defended Tiruin the same number of times as I have urist and have actually agreed with his points more than urist.  That is what I meant be defended him, I will admit that a better word to use might have been collaborated with.

I decided to attack you partially as RVS and partially because I really do have my suspicions, and I kept attacking you because..... well, bad idea, running, you get the picture. I felt I should make at least one solid post per day, but I kept putting it off until it was well past 4AM and my higher reasoning was shutting down. So consider this to be the thought-out, well-reasoned post I should have made either earlier or not at all yesterday. I misinterpreted some of your posts, made some huge mistakes, and I realised I may have done something very wrong the moment I woke up today.

Also, you seem to be attempting to start a bandwagon:
Instead of providing a logical argument and proof to back it up, you seem to be trying to get everyone to hop onto your two chosen targets.

Well, like I said above, that's a combination of spectacularly poor judgement and a misapplied flair for rhetorical questions.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »

Also I really need to stop putting off posting. I could've (and should've) made the above post several hours ago, but I thought I'd play some Terraria first. Again, not my greatest idea ever.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2012, 10:39:37 pm »

Now you're jumping to conclusions.

I'm not saying you are, but the fact that you even mentioned it made you look like you wanted sympathy.

The thing is, I didn't mention it specifically, you pointed it out and acted on that for a few posts.

And by repeating? You make it seem like only you and Jim are giving substantial amounts of information to this whole game by that single sentence in itself. If you feel that I'm posting huge walls of text just to look active, then say so. But read what I have in my posts before you say that. I would've also been called out by the ICs if I've done nothing but repeat repeat repeat. They are the impartial source of information, and are here to help all of us. Even if they are scum.
I'm not saying your walls of text are to look active. I'm just saying a lot of what you said, others have said already. Also you spent a lot of time going back and forth with Chaos Armor, without much to show for it. Sometimes even the IC's miss stuff. You also tend to repeat stuff within posts. In that post alone, you've said I haven't asked any RVS questions twice.

There's a serious communication issue between us. How did you conclude that 'only Jim and I were contributing' from that statement?

Not a conclusion. It was an answer to: "You also seem to be merely repeating a lot of things other people said especially Jim and myself. Do you have anything original to contribute?"

It's true that I skipped the RVS stage. The reason for RVS is to get discussion started for the lack of anything better. When I joined, I thought people already contributed enough to skip that area. I don't understand how you jumped from "you're not asking RVS questions" to "you might be getting outside information". RVS is not a to get to know someone's playstyle. People say and do different things under different conditions. Also, hypotheticals very rarely play out exactly the way they are phrased in the game.

Yes, people say and do different things based on the immediate event. Yes, I understand the purpose of the RVS, the thing is: I'm just asking you why you aren't asking things straight to the point. You keep on shifting your votes just to pressure others, but I'm curious why you aren't questioning in detail-- meaning why you aren't making any aggressive moves.

How do the outlined statements lead to the conclusion of an outside information source? By going through all my posts and outlining the 'nice statements' leads to confirmation bias. See above on the RVS issue.

Well, you are participating in the conversation, but not in the way that would directly lead to finding scum. Your answers were not to the essence behind those posts, from where I see it.

That's not what that means. I want you do your own scumhunting. A lot of what you've said so far are repeats, clarifications, and that side argument with Chaos Armor.

I am doing my own scumhunting. That "Side Argument", as you put it, seems like one because I can see that Chaos Armor is just repeating himself, not posting at all since some time ago.

I have no idea what this means.

Won't you at least give your own opinion then?

I responded to his question, and he didn't acknowledge my response. Assault is such a strong word. Are you saying you unvoted ansontan because he made a formatting error? I'll get to ansontan in my next post.

Your entire post reads like an OMGUS, especially answering a question with the exact same question. The only reason that you're voting me is that I haven't asked any RVS questions. It looks like you've given up on Chaos Armor and are looking for a new target. What's wrong with my scumhunting?

An OMGUS? Seriously? Can you point out then where I'm going wrong? Where I'm showing any signs of cracking under pressure? Did you not read anything I stated?

OMGUS - Oh My God U Suck, a vote on someone else simply because they voted or attacked you.
OMGUSing: Short for Oh My God You Suck, by the way. Voting or otherwise applying pressure to whoever's voting you. It implies that you're really concerned about being pressured/lynched and want them to stop, which is more a scum thing. A townie would, in theory, be more open to the notion that their fellow townie is attempting to scumhunt at them, and less concerned about being found out.

I found no reason behind your statement of OMGUS, your vote on me was based on the wrong reasons. Misreading in short. How does that even qualify as such? I'm voting you because I think you are scum.

On ansontan2000, I've stated my unvote wrong. I unvoted him because that (my vote) was just to pressure him to state his reasons and answer. Why would I put a vote on him because of formatting-- his formatting in question had the vote on himself by the way. I'm not backtracking by this too, it's pretty obvious there. Afterwards, you also voted him on to get his answer as I see it.

I've not given up on Chaos Armor. The lack of posts from him makes him look like a lurker in my eyes. He isn't participating at all here, and I don't think you read the last statement I said about him. The one in bold and underlined? He is still active on the forums, but isn't giving anything at all here making him very vague. Since Jim's post, he hasn't done anything. That's as far as I can say about him, can you add to it?

And by answering a question with the exact same question? Quote it for me, if you may.

Besides, who or what are you really scumhunting for, if you state so?

zombie urist has been in Beginner's Mafias before.

WUH OH

Players who play in multiple Beginner's Mafias usually perform significantly better than completely new players. His 'nice source' is probably experience from other games, in which case, it's not surprising that he has a better idea of what to do and not indicative at all that he's getting outside help, i.e., Toaster.

You're also overestimating the importance of the RVS. It's much better to learn people's playstyles by watching what they do instead of asking them about it.

Right.

So, zombie urist isn't hunting. What about all that orange shit you highlighted? That looks like scumhunting to me.

Alright, to clarify: There are those that have been in multiple BMs before, zombie urist has been in one: BM XXVI to be exact; but as far as I know, Andrew425 has also been in BMs, albeit more in number than zombie urist.

Yes, I am overestimating the importance of such, but because I can't get any read on zombie urist's playstyle other than what I see as one-sided answers and his lack of aggression, maybe because nobody is voting him? Also, when he stated that: "Do you have anything original to contribute" to others: ansontan2000, Phantom of the Library and Me amongst the rest, he asks the same thing later on in his posts makes me suspicious, as well as annoyed because that seems like we aren't giving suitable information. That, and if he was scumhunting, then he would give his thoughts in detail about everyone's posts, I guess.

I'm only acting on what I know and what I can read from what others posted.

Andrew425: Where are you and what do you see on all this?
Chaos Armor: Have you given up and are not posting at all?
Dariush: What is your view on this matter, could you also point out what our mistakes are?

I'm not looking for anyone to back me up if anyone is curious, it's just that day is almost over and they haven't posted recently.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23