Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 62766 times)

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Day 1
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »

My apologies phantom, I misread something. I'm such a spaz. Anyway, I think you're being a bit gung-ho with the "it seems scummy" while accusing me of attacking you on false premises (Which, admittedly was mostly true). However, personally I think it's more you being new to this than actual scummy-ness, so for the moment, you're off my radar.

ansontan2000: You are a normal townie on a LYLO day. Your only suspect has claimed a pro-town power role, but his claims are a little flimsy, while your repuation is reasonably solid. Do you gamble with a fake roleclaim, trusting in your good reputation to bring him down or attempt to investigate further and undermine him normally?

zombie urist: You are mafia, and accused mostly due to inactivity. How would you deflect this accusation?
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2012, 12:41:58 am »

Chaos Armor, your typing indicates you're nervous. Any reason in particular?

Stormtemplar, Have you ever heard of buddying?

Tiriun
Andrew425: If a fakeclaim was made before LYLO (like the doctor), and you were the same role as the one claimed, would you respond back by claiming yourself or look over the past pages of posts and find the scuminess of it without revealing your role.

I'd probably claim right away, unless I was dead sure that the guy was a stupid townie who is trying to win for the team.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:15 am »

@andrew: I have now, but no, before now I have not heard of it. (Looked it up when you asked) Why do you ask?

I'll take twenty!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:59 am »

Ansontan: If you were a doctor, how would you decide on whom you would protect each night?

I would see who seems least scummy, or support choose whoever is most active in scumhunting as they would most likely be town.

ansontan2000: Let's say you are the cop, and were accused primarily of being scum due to lurking, how would you respond?

I would assert myself as a cop and release investigation answers.

ansontan2000: You are a normal townie on a LYLO day. Your only suspect has claimed a pro-town power role, but his claims are a little flimsy, while your repuation is reasonably solid. Do you gamble with a fake roleclaim, trusting in your good reputation to bring him down or attempt to investigate further and undermine him normally?

Stormtemplar, You should NEVER not be careful on a LYLO day. I would investigate as much as I can into the person, and try to undermine him and try to make him crack.

Why have you asked a question that has such a definite answer about LYLO days?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:52 am »

Chaos Armor: You did answer a question, but only from the IC and not from anyone else. Nervous much, or is this your first real game?

Chaos Armor: Let's say you're scum. It is MYLO (Same amount of players in the BM). There was a claimed cop but his reasons are fallible as the votes are split between your scumminess and the cop's claim due to past mistakes but it's leaning on your side due to the belief that 'if he rolls out scum, the cop is telling the truth'.

How will you turn the tide?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 06:47:17 am »

zombie urist: You are mafia, and accused mostly due to inactivity. How would you deflect this accusation?

stormtemplar: You laid a vote on him because...of inactivity? The fact that not all of us are from the same area, and are governed by timezones count here. It's early, too early to even say that he/she 'is inactive'. We have two days at most in RL to go on.

Defend yourself. You just labeled him/her a mafioso.

Easily checked by going to their profile.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2012, 07:16:55 am »

Wait...just realized that what you said could mean two things.

Stumbled over those words there.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2012, 07:47:36 am »

snip
Are you intentionally fucking with the quotes?

So Phantom of the Library what do you think about the gold?

Stormtemplar what do you think about the gold?
1) It is bad practice to ask the same question to different people. 2) Since this is a BM, there's a chance of about -5% of flavor being related to the gameplay in any way at all. Ninja'd by Urist A (by about 10 hours), but whatever.

Quote from: Page 4 questions
Quote from: Page 5 questions
Not particularly game-related, but not everyone has the same amount of posts per page. Referring to pages instead of post numbers is confusing and just generally a bad idea.
Dariush: Let's say it's the third day with town deaths all the way and you had a vote on someone really scummy at the time. If someone fakeclaimed as Mafia, would you find that confusing in such a way as to draw attention from your main target?
If anybody claimed or fakeclaimed scum, I'd lynch him on the place and do everything in my power to prevent him from ever showing his cretinous snout on this board again. Well, unless the absence of jesters is not guaranteed.
snip
Wait...just realized that what you said could mean two things.

Stumbled over those words there.
Why are you so over-eager to show scumhunting that you only stop and think after the accusation, Tiruin?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:37 am »

I've been thinking with every word I type down here actually.

By
^ accusation, I took that as a real vote (not a random one), because there was no sign of any If's or any assumptions in that whole line.

By what you call eager, I don't see many questions being flung about by some of the other players and since this is the RVS (which lead me to said conclusion after thoroughly re-reading it all) I'm doing my best, or what I think is, to get leads on other players. Right now, we're getting somewhere.

You had your vote on me the whole time by the way, or does double voting for one person have any effect?

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

stormtemplar: You laid a vote on him because...of inactivity? The fact that not all of us are from the same area, and are governed by timezones count here. It's early, too early to even say that he/she 'is inactive'. We have two days at most in RL to go on.

Defend yourself. You just labeled him/her a mafioso.

Easily checked by going to their profile.

Meh, I didn't actually mean it that way, I was just poking him. Should have realized that. I misphrased my question to sound like an accusation.

I'll take twenty!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:24 pm »

Andrew45 Why haven't you answered my first question?
Andrew45 why so interested in my current strategy?, rather than a hypothetical one?  That seems a little scummy to me.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:07 pm »

Since every person's activity is available for everyone to see, the best way to avoid this sort of thing is to simply be active. Keep in mind that inactivity isn't necessarily indicative of scumminess. However, hesitance to scumhunting is. 

Very very sorry about that. I thought you weren't really asking me and I was doing something else at the moment of reading that.

I'm really sorry but I just can't describe what I'm trying to say and that is due in part to that it all depends on the situation to me. Also since I have never played mafia before, I need time to recognize patterns and strategies. I recognize you are trying to teach me about the different strategies but I don't think I can give a general answer since every situation is different. 
Sorry
Why are you being so apologetic? You said sorry three times in one response. Also, why are you so unconfident with your abilities to convey your thoughts? Are you scared of saying something you didn't mean?

I've been thinking with every word I type down here actually.

You had your vote on me the whole time by the way, or does double voting for one person have any effect?
Tiruin I don't think stormtemplar ever had his vote on you. In fact, you chose him in the RVS. And if you are really thinking with every word, then why did you do a triple post instead of taking more time and putting all that into one?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

Jim: Let's say you are the doctor; someone claimed the cop in Day 2 but the his/her attitude seemed very scummy compared to everyone else (no lurkers, all active). Would you protect him that day from a NK?

Yes.

If he ends up getting targeted and I protect him, then I confirm him as town, as that means the scum believed his claim. If he doesn't end up getting targeted, then I can't really draw too many conclusions about that. It means he's either fakeclaiming, or he's telling the truth and the scum believed his claim, but decided to target someone else.

The risk of protecting scum is worth it to confirm the Cop, because there's nothing significant lost if the scum end up targeting somebody else.

The fact that he was requesting information about my actual strategy, rather than giving me a hypothetical situation seemed a bit too much like role-fishing and thus a little suspicious, obviously not enough to warrant an actual vote but enough to warrant a FOS.

So what?

It's not like a member of the town's plan of action is a holy secret he can't reveal, and it's not like the scum knowing what the town is doing is going to protect them from that.

E.G., in most of my games, everybody has a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do. This doesn't mean they're not scared of me, as I get nightkilled all the time.

My apologies phantom, I misread something. I'm such a spaz. Anyway, I think you're being a bit gung-ho with the "it seems scummy" while accusing me of attacking you on false premises (Which, admittedly was mostly true). However, personally I think it's more you being new to this than actual scummy-ness, so for the moment, you're off my radar.

So why did you attack him on false premises?

And why did you admit it?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

Quote from:  zombie urist
Very very sorry about that. I thought you weren't really asking me and I was doing something else at the moment of reading that.

I'm really sorry but I just can't describe what I'm trying to say and that is due in part to that it all depends on the situation to me. Also since I have never played mafia before, I need time to recognize patterns and strategies. I recognize you are trying to teach me about the different strategies but I don't think I can give a general answer since every situation is different. 
Sorry
Why are you being so apologetic? You said sorry three times in one response. Also, why are you so unconfident with your abilities to convey your thoughts? Are you scared of saying something you didn't mean?

Why am I being so apologetic, because it is impolite for one to not anwer anothers question. As for why I'm not so confident in my abilities to convey thoughts, it's not a lack of confidence it's a lack of ability. I just have trouble conveying stuff, especially through writing because I cannot convey the emotions as well.

Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »

So why did you attack him on false premises?

And why did you admit it?

The attack was based off something I misread, when I read over it after I posted I realized I was wrong.

I admitted it because pursuing a pretty obviously wrong attack only makes me look bad.

I'll take twenty!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23