Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 62718 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Day 1
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 08:21:12 pm »

I plan on deducing who is scum and then helping lynch them.

How are you going to do that?

Andrew45 why so interested in my current strategy?, rather than a hypothetical one?  That seems a little scummy to me. 

How is it scummy? If you're going to say someone is scummy then you need to explain your reasons for thinking this way.

You always need reasons. Don't neglect them.

Question, Why is everyone putting people in red? Isn't that voting to lynch someone? Why would you do that now? I know we're supposed to be aggressive, but if I voted for someone who was already voted for, couldn't the two mafia potentially vote for him and lynch a townie?

It's the Random Vote Stage. When using votes there's more pressure to answer the question if a vote is used than not. It's not actually a vote for a lynch.

The day ends in several days, so there's lots of time for people to change their votes to the targets they actually do want to lynch once the RVS ends.

couldn't the two mafia potentially vote for him and lynch a townie?

Not if they didn't want to get instantly caught. Scum are better served making moves that don't reveal themselves than they are just knocking off any random townie. It would be horribly stupid to make a move like that, especially on Day 1.

Ninja'd by WUBA.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »

Andrew, whom from the present (apart from the ICs) would you fear most as scumteam, if you were town, and why?[/qu :'(in, he hoodwinked me pretty bad last game.

Phantom of The Library

I haven't seen you before, what is your plan on winning the game?

Andrew45 why so interested in my current strategy?, rather than a hypothetical one?  That seems a little scummy to me.

Phantom why so unwilling to go into detail? First you give a stupidly general strategy and then accuse someone of being scummy when they call you on it and ask for more info. 
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »

So Phantom of the Library what do you think about the gold?

Stormtemplar what do you think about the gold?
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:53 pm »

What do you mean? I don't really understand the question. Could you provide a bit more detail?

I'll take twenty!

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »

About the gold being stolen in the night after the miners discovered it.
Lurking since 2009

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 09:11:26 pm »

Please note that flavor is flavor, and that it has NO BEARING ON WHETHER YOU ARE SCUM OR NOT.

I was merely bored with having none.

Just pointing out that we don't play RP-style Mafia unless the mod specifically makes the game that way.  The gold and any relevant flavor details, as Webadict mentioned, are just there so you have something fun to read.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

Ah, I thought it said that in the rules... sorry.
Lurking since 2009

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »

Chaos Armor, I asked you a question:

Chaos Armor, let's say you're the Cop. What would you look for in a target? How would you pick somebody to inspect? Now, be thorough. I want some serious thinking on your part about the subject.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:12 pm »

Wow, this went off to a good start. Beautiful morning it is.

Alright:
Quote from: Page 4 questions
Tiruin, whom from the present (apart from the ICs) would you prefer as your scumbuddy, if you were scum, and why?
> To be truthful, I'm not sure exactly. I don't know the play styles of anyone as I'm a newbie to Mafia. Though, to give a concrete answer, I'd pick Andrew425: as he has some experience being both town and scum, as far as I read.
Quote from: Page 5 questions
No questions?

Phantom of the Library: Let's say that you've been accused of being found out as scum by the cop; and people begin to pile their votes on you without any tangible proof. How would you generally defend yourself?
Andrew425: If a fakeclaim was made before LYLO (like the doctor), and you were the same role as the one claimed, would you respond back by claiming yourself or look over the past pages of posts and find the scuminess of it without revealing your role.
ansontan2000: Let's say you are the cop, and were accused primarily of being scum due to lurking, how would you respond?
Dariush: Let's say it's the third day with town deaths all the way and you had a vote on someone really scummy at the time. If someone fakeclaimed as Mafia, would you find that confusing in such a way as to draw attention from your main target?
stormtemplar: What do you do when the votes are counted against you and if you had a powerrole, in general though, would you make a truthful claim and note the facts to support your claim?.
Jim: Let's say you are the doctor; someone claimed the cop in Day 2 but the his/her attitude seemed very scummy compared to everyone else (no lurkers, all active). Would you protect him that day from a NK?

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:42 pm »

@Tiruin
I would attempt to draw attention away from myself the normal way, try to refute the charges ect. But if placed in a situation where I felt I had no choice, yes I would reveal. The chance of convincing is worth the risk as I'd die otherwise. Also, any particular reason you voted me or did you just want to make sure I answered a question or two?

I'll take twenty!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

Also, any particular reason you voted me or did you just want to make sure I answered a question or two?
RVS stage.  :)

Unvote

Chaos Armor: Let's say you're scum. It is MYLO (Same amount of players in the BM). There was a claimed cop but his reasons are fallible as the votes are split between your scumminess and the cop's claim due to past mistakes but it's leaning on your side due to the belief that 'if he rolls out scum, the cop is telling the truth'.

How will you turn the tide?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:02 pm »

How are you going to do that?

Andrew, whom from the present (apart from the ICs) would you fear most as scumteam, if you were town, and why?[/qu :'(in, he hoodwinked me pretty bad last game.

Phantom of The Library

I haven't seen you before, what is your plan on winning the game?

Phantom why so unwilling to go into detail? First you give a stupidly general strategy and then accuse someone of being scummy when they call you on it and ask for more info. 
First of all I was vague on my strategy simply because at the moment I had no terribly specific strategy yet.  This is my first time playing mafia and I generally take a little bit of time in games of this sort to formulate a strategy, rather than create one too early and have to heavily revise it or make stupid mistakes because of. 

Second, he never called me out for being vague.  I felt that his asking a question relating to the game at hand was a little bit too similar to role-fishing for comfort.  You seem to be a little too eager to attack someone immediately on a false premises, namely the "fact" that Andrew called me out and that my accusing him was response to such.  He has not even posted since I responded, and my FOS was placed in the same post as my response to his question, therefore he cannot have "called me out" if I had accused Jim of being scummy on the other hand it would be a different story.

Thirdly, on my strategy: I am going to be on the watch for any obvious scum-tells, such as the one that stormtemplar is exhibiting right now by accusing me on false premises, and try to pressure who I see as suspicious.  Really beyond that I haven't formed much of a strategy, because I haven't played the game enough to form a good one.

How is it scummy? If you're going to say someone is scummy then you need to explain your reasons for thinking this way.

You always need reasons. Don't neglect them.

The fact that he was requesting information about my actual strategy, rather than giving me a hypothetical situation seemed a bit too much like role-fishing and thus a little suspicious, obviously not enough to warrant an actual vote but enough to warrant a FOS.

PPE:
Phantom of the Library: Let's say that you've been accused of being found out as scum by the cop; and people begin to pile their votes on you without any tangible proof. How would you generally defend yourself?
I would present the information and logical arguments that proved otherwise and attempt to draw attention to the cop, since he would obviously be scum if he is falsely accusing me, with more attention being paid to keeping myself alive, since if I am lynched the cop will be revealed as scum anyway, unless it is a Lynch-or-Die situation in which case I would put more effort into making sure that everyone realizes the cop is scum, since if I die and he lives it would be game over.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:47 pm »

(Mod/ICs: What is meant by 9pm Central? The time the Day ends? We aren't using forum time?)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 11:24:42 pm »

(Mod/ICs: What is meant by 9pm Central? The time the Day ends? We aren't using forum time?)
Central is about 1 hour off from forum time. I just can't remember in which direction.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »

Chaos Armor, I asked you a question:

Chaos Armor, let's say you're the Cop. What would you look for in a target? How would you pick somebody to inspect? Now, be thorough. I want some serious thinking on your part about the subject.
Very very sorry about that. I thought you weren't really asking me and I was doing something else at the moment of reading that.

I would look for anyone who never got any votes against them. I would also look for behavior patterns in people. Of course I really can't give a good answer because for one I have some trouble describing my thought processes and for two it would depend upon the situation, ie:What people are saying.

I would pick them based on what I think is the threat level.

I'm really sorry but I just can't describe what I'm trying to say and that is due in part to that it all depends on the situation to me. Also since I have never played mafia before, I need time to recognize patterns and strategies. I recognize you are trying to teach me about the different strategies but I don't think I can give a general answer since every situation is different. 
Sorry
Lurking since 2009

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23