Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 62708 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Sign-Ups: 7/7, 2/2, 1/1
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

He's referring to mafia hours.

And as everybody knows, time stops flowing during the weekends.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »

To clarify, Mafia time only counts weekdays. By that, the official time is the forum time, not your local timezone right?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

Soooo... several hours on Wuba's clock is three days... and counting. Are you sure you were referring to terrestrial hours and not, say, mercurian ones?
I was having a very busy weekend. I'm still having a very busy weekend. I probably won't start this particular game for another six hours, though.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 12:13:39 pm »

Understandable, take your time.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:23 pm »

All set and ready to go. I'll be sending them out out soon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »

One week later...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

One week later...
I was making dinner! D:<

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 11:02:05 pm »

Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:09 am »

One week later...
I was making dinner! D:<

Ahh, that explains a lot.  Mephansteras must be your dinner guest.  =P

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:46 am »

Alright, I'll send them out now. I was merely making sure there weren't errors.

Please note that flavor is flavor, and that it has NO BEARING ON WHETHER YOU ARE SCUM OR NOT.

I was merely bored with having none.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:12 am »

YUS! I can finally go to sleep knowing I have something to do in the morning.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:02 am »

Nice, it even has flavor text to come along with it!  :D

YUS! I can finally go to sleep knowing I have something to do in the morning.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 10:44:20 am »

I walked into the near-deserted town half expecting to see a tumbleweed rolling through the road. A sign hung on two very unsteady poles that read Labella. Hehe, a label for Labella. Doors clattered as the sand-ladden wind pelted the town over and over again. I pulled the hat over my eyes, but it did little good. I opened the door to the building that read Inn, and, to my surprise, I found a real person standing there.

I managed to book the only room in town, which was much more elegant than one could expect from this town. It was really just a collection of miners, deperate for gold. Or at least, what was left of them. The gold had been tapped out a few weeks ago, so I hadn't expected anyone to be here at all.

Making journeys through towns like these were depressing as hell. You only got small glimpses of people's sad existances when you slept in their abandoned shanties, but they were enough for me. I got lucky with this town.

And as such, I pushed my luck further. I found the bar next door was still operating, if only because the hopeful had kept it that way. The owner must've thought they were crazy, but as long as people stayed in one place, he would, too.

I sat down on a wobbly stool and order whatever the owner could find. I looked at a man sitting next to me, his head down, one arm lying dead next to him. He then spoke with a deep and almost hollow voice.

"Do you want to here a story?"

I paused, looking at the rusted badge that was pinned to his vest. "Sure."

"You ain't from around here, then," he spoke and then laughed. "No one wants to hear the same story over and over." I opened my mouth but his words got out first. "Maybe you can solve this crime before I finish." He took a drink. "But, you don't look too smart."

I smirked. "Alright, then," I answered, but before I could say another word, his words won once more.

"Nine neat witches fed nine neat ditches. Two of them tried, two of them lied, and all of them died." I looked at him crazily as he seemed to sing the words. He had a rather stupid-looking smile sat on his face.

"I came up with that on my own. Well?" he asked. "Ready to start?"

That day was one of the hottest on record. The miners weren't out long when they came across a motherlode of gold. It was way, way more than they usually brought back, and it was a time of merriment. The town celebrated. As evening came, so did clouds, and then it rained all night.

When everyone awoke in the morning, they found all of the gold had been taken. Someone shouted that they had seen witches outside, and by the end of the finger-pointing, nine women had been brought forward.

"Witches?" I asked, interrupting. "Surely, you didn't believe that."

"I am telling the story here," he said, and I was silent. "Besides," he continued, "it's really just a catch-all term."

The sheriff began investigating the crime, and began questioning the witnesses. They were unreliable at best, but they were the start. He went through the nine in his mind, and he began debating which one to investigate first.

Vote Count
------------------------
Andrew425 -
Phantom of The Library -
Tiruin -
ansontan2000 -
zombie urist -
Chaos Armor -
stormtemplar -
Jim Groovester -
Dariush -

Not Voting - Andrew425, Phantom of The Library, Tiruin, ansontan2000, zombie urist, Chaos Armor, stormtemplar, Jim Groovester, Dariush,

Day Ends Friday 9 PM Central.

It is now Day.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 11:43:41 am »

Okay, so how are we going to make this work? I think for starters, everyone should post their ideas of strategy. We could either lynch someone inactive under the assumption that the mafia isn't very good, randomly lynch and hope for luck or vote no lynch and wait for some evidence to pop up. Now, someone MIGHT say something incriminating on the first day, but I doubt it, so how do you guys want to play this?
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Day 1
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

Chaos Armor, let's say you're the Cop. What would you look for in a target? How would you pick somebody to inspect? Now, be thorough. I want some serious thinking on your part about the subject.

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

Additionally, before anybody else does anything, I will stress the importance of activity. You should be as active as possible. A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

Okay, so how are we going to make this work? I think for starters, everyone should post their ideas of strategy. We could either lynch someone inactive under the assumption that the mafia isn't very good, randomly lynch and hope for luck or vote no lynch and wait for some evidence to pop up. Now, someone MIGHT say something incriminating on the first day, but I doubt it, so how do you guys want to play this?

You're going to play this by aggressively questioning everything you find odd or scummy. This is to get you in the habit of asking questions a lot, since that's how the game of mafia is played and won. This doesn't mean you'll have any idea what is odd or scummy, so just ask about what you think is odd or scummy and then I'll tell you whether you're right or wrong about it.

This goes for everybody.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23