Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 62767 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Day 1
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2012, 09:03:14 am »

Anston2000
Two people claim cop, are you more likely to believe the first one or the second one?

You know as well as I do that I would most likely believe the one that seems least scummy and/or actually investigated me and got my role as scum/town right.
ansontan2000: A fakeclaimer could make a logical guess and then say if you were town or to a lesser extent, mafia. Why are you assuming that Andrew would know how you would act by the way?

I have seen Andrew in a couple of Mafia games here through reading them. As he is more experienced than you and I, I thought he may be able to assume what we plan to do.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2012, 11:45:25 am »

@zombie urist: Real game - as in my first game not being a replacement. My first game I've participated in the RVS, etc.
What do you mean by a fake Mafia game?! How was that even a question?
That's the point I'm trying to make. There's no such thing as a fake game. All mafia games are real mafia games.

/quote]
Why are you being so careless with your posts. A preview would have made it really obvious that something was wrong with your quotes.

Stormtemplar, as Jim said, saying you're a novice is no excuse. apart for Jim and Dariush, we're ALL novices. Explain to me now what exactly you were trying to find out with that question.
You haven't really been contributing anything new to the conversation. Also, why are you being so forceful?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »

Why because you continued to ask me a question, a hypothetical one at that, even though you knew that I was going to have a very very hard time answering it.

And how is this a good reason for a vote?

How does this make him scum?

Why did you ask me a hypothetical question?

People ask hypothetical questions for lack of anything better to ask.

Extend.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »

Anston2000
Two people claim cop, are you more likely to believe the first one or the second one?
Just making up shit as you go is not the way to go. You should ask questions that can at least be plausibly answered, not simply imitate activeness to make sure you aren't going to get lynched as a lurker.

I think it's a valid question, why do you think it isn't?

Why are you being so careless with your posts. A preview would have made it really obvious that something was wrong with your quotes.

Why are you nitpicking?

Also, Extend
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »

Tiruin if you had read my answer to Jim then you would know what my problem was. And by the way it is not just anwering questions in general, its answering questions about Mafia and its also answering questions through writing. If we could sit down right now and talk I could answer your question in full.

Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »

Ah, sorry for the double post but I forgot:

Extend.
Lurking since 2009

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:45 pm »

I vote for Extension as well. 

@zombie urist: Real game - as in my first game not being a replacement. My first game I've participated in the RVS, etc.
What do you mean by a fake Mafia game?! How was that even a question?
That's the point I'm trying to make. There's no such thing as a fake game. All mafia games are real mafia games.
What I think he means is that the only time he has played mafia so far was a replacement on the last day of the last BM, thus he didn't really get the full experience of playing the entire game, why are you attacking him so much for such a small harmless statement?

Stormtemplar, as Jim said, saying you're a novice is no excuse. apart for Jim and Dariush, we're ALL novices. Explain to me now what exactly you were trying to find out with that question.
You haven't really been contributing anything new to the conversation. Also, why are you being so forceful?
I agree, almost the only thing you have done so far is attack me or urist.  Both on false charges.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »

Tiruin if you had read my answer to Jim then you would know what my problem was. And by the way it is not just anwering questions in general, its answering questions about Mafia and its also answering questions through writing. If we could sit down right now and talk I could answer your question in full.
Yes, conveying what you really want to say is different when it's face to face than on the net.

But remember that this is Mafia, don't be afraid of slipping up in your words, people do that often. Just...more subtly than others.

A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

You know, you could work on it in the meantime.

I'm torn between thinking that you're too concerned about your image or the fact that you're really being new here.

And yes, I did read your answer to Jim. So let's change it then to make it easier.

Why did you place a vote for me just asking you a question?

@Andrew425: I think Dariush got the grasp on it. Your question depends on the quality of each cop's claim, but you did not specify exactly how. It could be easily answered by the way, without specific information.

@zombie urist: Phantom explains my idea on the real game. Why did you ask that question anyway? It leads nowhere to finding scum.

Unvote ; Ansontan2000:
I have seen Andrew in a couple of Mafia games here through reading them. As he is more experienced than you and I, I thought he may be able to assume what we plan to do.

You do know, that people mostly can't predict another's moves unless they have a good feeling on them, and even then it could be open to fallacy.

You got any extra information there that you aren't spilling?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2012, 03:22:36 am »

And then I asked how you thought that made him scum and then you didn't decide to answer.

So, Chaos Armor even though I'm pretty sure I'm already voting you: how about you answer my goddamn question.

What is so offensive about the question he asked that made you crap your pants and vote for him?

But remember that this is Mafia, don't be afraid of slipping up in your words, people do that often. Just...more subtly than others.

Actually, since this is forum mafia, you effectively have infinite time to look over each post you make to make sure what you're saying is exactly what you want to say, and also to make sure that you communicate everything clearly as well.

Advising people to be looser with their words is unwise given the medium we're dealing with.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Sign-Ups: 7/7, 2/2, 1/1
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2012, 06:15:23 am »

stormtemplar has asked for a replacement. As such, he will be replaced by Strategia.

Vote Count
------------------------
Andrew425 -
Phantom of The Library -
Tiruin - Dariush, Chaos Armor,
ansontan2000 - Andrew425, Tiruin,
zombie urist - Strategia,
Chaos Armor - Jim Groovester,
Strategia - ansontan2000, zombie urist,
Jim Groovester -
Dariush -

Not Voting - Phantom of The Library,

Day Extended. Day Ends Tuesday 9 PM Central.

Mod: If there is a tie on votes between any two players, it will result in a no lynch right? Even if it's just one-one? There can't be more than one lynch per day right?
If there is a tie, I will extend the Day for 24 hours for you all to change your minds. If there is still a tie after that, then there will be a No Lynch. Because I'm nice like that.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2012, 07:39:09 am »

I think it's a valid question, why do you think it isn't?
Because your question goes along the lines of 'you can choose to lynch the first person to sign up or the last, whom will you choose?'. There is equal probability of cop claiming and scum counter-fakeclaiming and vice versa. There are far too many other things to consider to simplify the situation to such a question.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2012, 08:04:24 am »

So I understand that weekends do not count?

Four happy days it is then.

Umm, I'd take it storm templar got replaced by Strategia in the vote count?

Just read the top text.

Strategia: Is this your first game at all in Mafia. Specifically, did you do any reading in the wiki or the FAQ?

Nevertheless: Let's say you are a Mafioso, it is LYLO and there is a claimed cop. Your scumteam has no roleblocker, and the cop has marked your buddy as mafia. His other investigations are all dead men/women. People are piling up their votes on him (Your buddy). He isn't yielding though and is giving his best at his defense, but it isn't enough. What would you do, in the day and night?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2012, 09:48:16 am »

Strategia: Is this your first game at all in Mafia. Specifically, did you do any reading in the wiki or the FAQ?

Yes, this is my first game of Mafia, I have read the new player guide and the FAQ, I did some light browsing on the wiki, and I am currently re-reading this entire thread.

Nevertheless: Let's say you are a Mafioso, it is LYLO and there is a claimed cop. Your scumteam has no roleblocker, and the cop has marked your buddy as mafia. His other investigations are all dead men/women. People are piling up their votes on him (Your buddy). He isn't yielding though and is giving his best at his defense, but it isn't enough. What would you do, in the day and night?

That depends on several factors, such as the atmosphere of the game, the behaviour of the players and any role I (or my buddy) might possess that isn't a roleblocker. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of throwing him under a bus, but only if that gives me the best shot at offing the others (e.g. people are already suspicious of another townie, especially if it's the cop being suspicious and he's paranoid). I could protect him if I'm a mafia doctor, or perhaps use a one-shot to redirect the lynch, if that's at all possible, there are just too many variables, I really couldn't say anything else.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

I'm sorry Jim I wasn't quite sure what to answer. It was more of a lets see what his reaction will be.

I didn't want to triple post when I did have my answer and I ended up falling asleep.
Lurking since 2009

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:45 am »

I'm sorry Jim I wasn't quite sure what to answer. It was more of a lets see what his reaction will be.

I didn't want to triple post when I did have my answer and I ended up falling asleep.

You've been giving the same answer for the past posts, worded differently.

And I get that you voted me...to see my reaction? Ok. No reason or fact behind that.

And, your real answer is...What exactly?

@Strategia: Should've said that question in the bounds of a BM.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23