Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid military question  (Read 585 times)

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid military question
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

Hello, i will make it short

I have a immigrant and he is a novice wrestler. I want him to be a maceman. I equipped him with a mace and he carries it around, but so far in training he is still called a wrestler, has no mace skill, and sometimes is leading wrestling demonstrations (that last one might be okay i guess... but oh well!)

How do I get him to train his mace skill? I mean, does he automatically still wrestle even though he has a mace because he has wrestling skill? Or is he training his mace skill, just it is taking him awhile?

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid military question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

I have a immigrant and he is a novice wrestler. I want him to be a maceman. I equipped him with a mace and he carries it around, but so far in training he is still called a wrestler, has no mace skill, and sometimes is leading wrestling demonstrations (that last one might be okay i guess... but oh well!)

How do I get him to train his mace skill? I mean, does he automatically still wrestle even though he has a mace because he has wrestling skill? Or is he training his mace skill, just it is taking him awhile?

If any of your other military dwarves has the mace skill, it will get trained eventually.
Alternatively, you could try having him fight something.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:26:15 pm »

If any of your other military dwarves has the mace skill, it will get trained eventually.
Alternatively, you could try having him fight something.

i better have him kill something... XD thank you!!

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:39:29 pm »

You could also specificly assign him a mace with the equpment screen he will be called a wresler i think until his mace skills exeed his wresling one. also i think wresling helps if he looses his weapon somehow but i think that can ongly happen to edged/pointy weapons being left in the wound althogh im not entirely sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »

Just give it some time, even training/sparring alone should be enough for him to become a maceman.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:04 am »

I had this problem with axedwarves. I armored em up in steel, and sent em shrieking at a goblin ambush. Half died, the rest are now adequate or more, and they're teaching the new recruits. Patience is not a dwarven virtue.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:26 am »

There are no stupid military questions, only stupid military dwarves  :P
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Kenort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:56:53 am »

I got a similar issue with my first squad. I equipped 10 dwarves with axes and iron armor/shields and set them to train. Three of them (including the squad leader/military commander) are at least adequate in axedwarf skill, but instead teaching with axes the soldiers obviously prefer to train/learn general combat skills like dodging/striking/fighting (including ocassional wrestling sessions from one non-axedwarf) and practising individual training sessions... not even the armor or shield skill has improved in months. :(

The recruit's Axedwarf ability levels up only moderately , keeping the students within dabbling level. Instead they learn how to strike and dodge... somehow strange. Perhaps splitting up the train orders or the squad in whole to minor groups will help to enforce axedwarf/sparring sessions. Micromanagement here I come. :P