Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forging + Smelting = Material loss?  (Read 469 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forging + Smelting = Material loss?
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:20:53 pm »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

I followed the path I learnd from others that I order a smith to make e.g. breast plates, sort them qualitywise, and melt the inferior stuff, until I have sufficient stock in masterworks quality.

This worked fine, and I never noticed a problem with that when dealing with steel.

Now I did the same with adamantite - my smith made battle axes, and I sent the lesser ones back to the smelter. I used only one smelter for recycling the adamantite, and now my stocks on green disks looks way smaller than it should, judging from the number of battle axes he made. I have no precise numbers, but I think there is some loss involved.

Anybody here who could confirm this?
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Forging + Smelting = Material loss?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

Melting an item down produces only about 1/3 of a bar usually.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »

Melting an item down produces only about 1/3 of a bar usually.
Ouch. VERY ouch.
I never noticed this with steel, but with the green stuff, it really hurt.
Thanks for the info, though.

Yours, Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

Er, adamantine is cyan, not green...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

Checking the raws will give you a better idea on how much metal you'll recover from a melt job. The [MATERIAL_SIZE:X] toke is what you'll want to look for. A 1 in place of the X will result in one tenth of a bar, a 5 will result in half of a bar, and a 10 will result in a whole bar. Breastplates are excellent armor to train skill with, as they are set at 9, so 90% of the metal is recovered from them. Battle axes are only 4, which is high for a weapon, but still means that the metal loss will be much more noticeable when compared with breastplates.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »

Treczoks, you might not be aware that breastplates are a special case.  They're supposed to require three bars to create, but due to a bug, currently require only one.  That bug is the only reason that the smelting a breastplate recovers enough metal to forge a new one.