Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: IT'S TOO EASY!  (Read 7148 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S TOO EASY!
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 01:02:59 am »

I just think its important to keep the ratio of difficulty/enjoyment in check. Sure, the difficulty of the game could always be increased, but there's a point where something becomes so ridiculously hard that it stops being a fun game, and just starts to become an irritating chore that makes you go through a bunch of procedures just so that you can survive long enough to actually do what you want.

There's nothing wrong with a good challenge, but making things challenging shouldn't be the only focus.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:57 am »

I think that all enemies are too weak in fortress mode. This can't be solved by increasing their numbers as that would give us too much metals. Enemies must be better trained.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 06:54:51 am »

I think that all enemies are too weak in fortress mode. This can't be solved by increasing their numbers as that would give us too much metals. Enemies must be better trained.
pound by pound a goblin is the same as a dwarf. The difference is, surprise, equipments. If goblins have the same equipment access ad dwarves (steel!!) and dwarves dont abuse danger rooms, goblins will stand toe to toe against them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 07:59:50 am »

goblins have zero skills too. It's like they've never held a sword before.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:35 am »

goblins have zero skills too. It's like they've never held a sword before.

Regular goblin soldiers. Master Thieves, Master Goblin Lashers, etc. all have high skills.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Rod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:27 am »

Just had a thought.. Siege engines would be a pretty cool idea.  Perhaps when your fortress has accumulated enough wealth enemies can start bringing siege towers to overcome walls, bridging machines to overcome moats, and even battering rams to knock down drawbridges and doors.  Lasher goblins mounted on undead eagles anyone??

Also it may be a good idea to have enemies progressively scale to the wealth of your fortress.. And to give them Steel armour and good skills as said above..

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »

ladders would also be really useful for goblins, that would allow them to circumvent walls without actually destroying them.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »

I think increased difficulty should come from increased fractiousness among the dwarves, not just beating back wave after wave of enemies. It's more interesting, more in line with the procedural nature of the game, and makes better stories. Once the dwarves conquer their surroundings, they begin to turn on each other!

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »

I just figured out the solution to this guys problems...

Go into the raws...

Add "TrapImmune" to Goblins.  Now increase their size so atomsmashing them is ineffective!

Problem solved.

Guess we didn't need all these other solutions to begin with.  Huh, now my previous posts feel worthless.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »

Making the militia captains generate mandates and demands would be an interesting challenge, you can't just let them get miserable like you can ordinary nobility since they are trained to kill.

it would also balance out the usefulness of smaller squads, since small squads would mean more captains to issue mandates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »

A lot of things are unbalanced or unfinished and therefore broken. But it is very, very easy to make the game harder by modding.

Darkflagrances Fortress Defense Mod alone should be enough of a challenge. Or, same as rephikul did here: Shameless selfpromotion: my own mod ;)

Enemies in that mod are rather unique and have natural skills. Actually they are so strong that the mod adds optional counter-measures.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:52:48 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »

[urlhttp://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98196.0]Shameless selfpromotion: my own mod[/url] ;)
Your weak attempt at self promotion actually cast doubt upon potential users ;p Ads should always be polished.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »

Sometimes I act like the fool I am. ;) But what should I do, I need more victims.. ehm.. testers. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:50 am »

Just had a thought.. Siege engines would be a pretty cool idea.  Perhaps when your fortress has accumulated enough wealth enemies can start bringing siege towers to overcome walls, bridging machines to overcome moats, and even battering rams to knock down drawbridges and doors.  Lasher goblins mounted on undead eagles anyone??

Also it may be a good idea to have enemies progressively scale to the wealth of your fortress.. And to give them Steel armour and good skills as said above..

Planned for a future coming towards you with the speed of a freight train. Fortunately, this train is still some time away :P

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 05:08:05 pm »

Making the militia captains generate mandates and demands would be an interesting challenge, you can't just let them get miserable like you can ordinary nobility since they are trained to kill.

it would also balance out the usefulness of smaller squads, since small squads would mean more captains to issue mandates.

I like this idea, but with some way to limit what they mandate to things related to the military. Maybe they request higher quality armor for the squad, a wider variety of weapons, installation of traps, more armor and weapon racks, etc. I don't want my commander and his captains telling me we can't export rings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5