Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: IT'S TOO EASY!  (Read 7173 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S TOO EASY!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

The problem is that we need the cheap easy solutions because what the game asks of us is ridiculous.  We have to construct infrastructure to support a population that will grow rapidly,  prepare defenses against opponents that WILL find us and attack us, that emerge out of nowhere because we can't scout, and collect the resources we need to survive... with only seven people.  No real life colony could survive against those challenges with what the game gives us initially.  We need things like magical impenetrable walls and low-cost no-risk infinite food sources because otherwise we'd die in the initial stages, but when our numbers and security build up to a reasonable amount those unbeatable solutions make it too easy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »

Maybe not a colony of humans. A colony of dwarves, on the other hand....

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »

You know, I've always liked the idea of "monsters can destroy constructed walls".  If you want difficulty, that'd be a good one.  Put it into the same tag as "building destroyer".  Change it to mean ANYTHING with the "constructed" tag on it.

That'd make the game incredibly difficult once those kinds of creatures showed up.  No longer could you wall off locked doors to prevent pathing.  They'd path to the built wall, smash it down, then path do your dwarves beyond.

If you want real difficulty, just ask for THAT to be added to the game.  You need nothing else.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 11:18:36 pm »

You know, I've always liked the idea of "monsters can destroy constructed walls".  If you want difficulty, that'd be a good one.  Put it into the same tag as "building destroyer".  Change it to mean ANYTHING with the "constructed" tag on it.

That'd make the game incredibly difficult once those kinds of creatures showed up.  No longer could you wall off locked doors to prevent pathing.  They'd path to the built wall, smash it down, then path do your dwarves beyond.

If you want real difficulty, just ask for THAT to be added to the game.  You need nothing else.

Would immediately wreck above ground forts, and force everyone to make holes in the ground. Not to mention infinite cave ins.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:20 pm »

Would immediately wreck above ground forts, and force everyone to make holes in the ground. Not to mention infinite cave ins.
Not so hard if the monsters arent total dumbasses. Also they can also have the ability to pass through wall instead of just wrecking them Heck even if they can smash raised bridges / resist smashing bridge/cave in or go through fortification / floodgate that'd be enough. If they cause map-wide withering of plants / food that'd be absolutely awesome regardless of their ability to penetrate walls.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 12:17:37 am »

Not so hard if the monsters arent total dumbasses. Also they can also have the ability to pass through wall instead of just wrecking them Heck even if they can smash raised bridges / resist smashing bridge/cave in or go through fortification / floodgate that'd be enough. If they cause map-wide withering of plants / food that'd be absolutely awesome regardless of their ability to penetrate walls.

I still prefer "smash walls".  Why?  Destroys the material that was smashed.  it also effectively destroys 99% of all defenses players use.  Players use pits/walls to funnel enemies into locations.  If you can't wall an area in, or they knock down a whole tower that collapses parts of your fortress...  Then you get kind of screwed.  It also forces players to think more stratetically when building defenses than they currently do.

Maybe add monsters that also "dig" to an extent.  Perhaps to the point of being able to make ramps upward out of pits, or to cause pretty heavy damage to a fortress.

Nothing more dangerous than creatures that can alter the environment and render defenses worthless.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 07:28:34 am »

Well, I'll have to dig my walls from the ground rather than build them up. Not a problem.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:29 am »

Or just dig a 2-3 z-level trench in front of them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 12:58:51 pm »

I still prefer "smash walls".  Why?  Destroys the material that was smashed.  it also effectively destroys 99% of all defenses players use.  Players use pits/walls to funnel enemies into locations.  If you can't wall an area in, or they knock down a whole tower that collapses parts of your fortress...  Then you get kind of screwed.  It also forces players to think more stratetically when building defenses than they currently do.

Maybe add monsters that also "dig" to an extent.  Perhaps to the point of being able to make ramps upward out of pits, or to cause pretty heavy damage to a fortress.

Nothing more dangerous than creatures that can alter the environment and render defenses worthless.

As King DZA said, people would just use moats. So basically this would just completely wreck every shred of enjoyment for an above ground fort player, whilst achieving nothing.

Game being easy does not = Game being easy because you just built a wall sealing yourself from all outside contact completely. That's like me saying I didn't lose DF because I didn't play it.
Only you can stop bad building destroyer suggestions kids ~Smoky the Toad

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »

And thank you to everyone for completely ignoring the "dig ramps" portion of my post.  A trench wouldn't help, and since some building destroyers can also swim (thus if you add the digging or wall smashing ability to them...) it could pose problematic to even try a trench.

Perhaps even a flying creature with these abilities would be worthwhile.  Perhaps a Dragon or some forgotten beasts?  You know, of the variety that flies over moats and walls and smashes in ceilings to get to you?

Could be "dangerous enough".

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

And thank you to everyone for completely ignoring the "dig ramps" portion of my post.  A trench wouldn't help, and since some building destroyers can also swim (thus if you add the digging or wall smashing ability to them...) it could pose problematic to even try a trench.

Perhaps even a flying creature with these abilities would be worthwhile.  Perhaps a Dragon or some forgotten beasts?  You know, of the variety that flies over moats and walls and smashes in ceilings to get to you?

How would it be problematic to try a trench? The goblins will just dig under your walls anyways :P.

To add onto the discussion of traps being overpowered- If there was a special goblin mechanic that could (albeit slowly) disarm traps or free trapped goblins, that could be quite interesting.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »

Could be "dangerous enough".

Losing is !FUN!, but DON'T MESS WITH MAH ASCETICS D:<

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »

free trapped goblins
[MISCHIEVIOUS] does that but it also cause them to run away easier. I'm not sure if that'd affect sieges tho.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

HeWhoCannotBeNamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:41 am »

You could channel Magma behind your walls as a defense against stuff like this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:46 am »

Plus, monsters are total dumbasses anyways. If they left the walls intact, I honestly couldn't care less if they were giant worms made out of steel. Otherwise...   :-\ :'( :( >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5