Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma Smelting Question  (Read 3665 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Smelting Question
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:20 am »

Ok so my issue i have been having is this,

anytime i get a magma smelting operation set up. my metal industry slows to a crawl within a month.
reason? the main fort is over 100 tiles from the smelting chambers.

so i want to ask, whats my best option here?
1. pump stack bringing magma higher.
2. shifting all operations in my fortress a great many Z-levels down.
3. pitting ores food and booze from top floor down a massive drop shaft to the smelters. (with multiple Z-levels of rock below quantum pile. with a burrow/small fort for my metal workers at the bottom.
4. genning a shallow world. (even if this isn't the best option could somebody explain/link to page about how to use either advanced world gen or perfectworldDF?)
5. other (I am open to suggestions)

in my opinion 1. and 3. sound the most dwarfish, 2. sounds easy but most time consuming, and 4. seems preferable but i lack the knowledge how to.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Smelting Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:01 am »

Use those smelters and forges to make magma safe pumps and bring up your magma. That way, you can also use it for traps and random shenaningans.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:17:39 am »

If you're willing to lose a fort or two in the effort, You should build a pumpstack or if you're looking for a challenge a magma piston. these are always good things to learn and it can be a lot of ‼FUN‼ learning them.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:27 am »

I chose the magma piston option. I started losing miners but once you get the hang of it and they all are legendary... It even gave me nice trap ideas (collapsing tunnels). I do not know if the cave in will work the same way in the next release though. Maybe we'll have to go back to the pumpstack method.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:30:32 am »

If you're willing to lose a fort or two in the effort, You should build a pumpstack or if you're looking for a challenge a magma piston. these are always good things to learn and it can be a lot of ‼FUN‼ learning them.

i might just try that, i understand the brutally basic concepts behind both. and thats the fun part about DF. you could spend 3 years reading the wiki and user made tutorials, but NOTHING can prepare you for the !!FUN!! of actual experience, like trying to build an indoor fishing area without knowing that dwarf fortress is decently realistic on its water pressure...

speaking of witch i think i have an explanation for diagonal passage water pressure. diagonal tunnels are presumably just big enough for dwarfs to fit through meaning less slightly less water would get through then is required to pressurize the flow on the other side, therefore it wont flow back to its original level.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:50 am »

Magma stacks aren't actually hard to build, but with 100 iron corkscrews and tubes and your industry as bad as you say it is, you will have a hard time making it. Try and find alternative materials (other magma-safe metals or nethercap).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:42 am »

Magma stacks aren't actually hard to build, but with 100 iron corkscrews and tubes and your industry as bad as you say it is, you will have a hard time making it. Try and find alternative materials (other magma-safe metals or nethercap).

Ive got an excess of lignite.... just need some more dwarves in my current fort and ill get a bunch of furnaces going for coal.

it may be worth mentioning i use genesis.
i also use DFhack, not for the cheaty functions but for the FPS savers.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:25 am »

You could always build a second set of living spaces specifically for your smelters so they're much closer to the furnaces all the time.

But I do think that the magma pump option is the most dwarfish.
*insert witty signature here*

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:32:25 pm »

Ok so my issue i have been having is this,

anytime i get a magma smelting operation set up. my metal industry slows to a crawl within a month.
reason? the main fort is over 100 tiles from the smelting chambers.

so i want to ask, whats my best option here?
1. pump stack bringing magma higher.
2. shifting all operations in my fortress a great many Z-levels down.
3. pitting ores food and booze from top floor down a massive drop shaft to the smelters. (with multiple Z-levels of rock below quantum pile. with a burrow/small fort for my metal workers at the bottom.
4. genning a shallow world. (even if this isn't the best option could somebody explain/link to page about how to use either advanced world gen or perfectworldDF?)
5. other (I am open to suggestions)

in my opinion 1. and 3. sound the most dwarfish, 2. sounds easy but most time consuming, and 4. seems preferable but i lack the knowledge how to.

I'm trying #3 right now since magma is about 100 levels below my fortress industry level.

#1 is a large-scale project that would take years to complete (not to mention issues with threading the stack through the caverns and powering it).

#2 would not work out that well since my iron and other ores are mainly located in shallow levels.  Shifting everything down will essentially create a similar issue.

#4 I have down some advanced world gens that had reduced settings for # of layers between caverns and some other tweaks (that I do not recall off the top of my head.)  With those I have a few fortresses generated with the first cavern 7-8 stone levels down and hitting the Magma Sea within 50 levels of the surface.  Those forts followed #1 and moved their smelting ops up near the surface via pump stack.

#5 Not much to offer other than trying to do as much metal work down below as possible.  Smelt and store bars there, and only haul finished products up.  A dining room and beds for metal workers in a deep location might limit their commuting back and forth.  And you might want to burrow a few haulers down there with them to haul items from your drop shaft location to the appropriate storage for use.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 05:53:36 pm »

-snip-

I'm trying #3 right now since magma is about 100 levels below my fortress industry level.

#1 is a large-scale project that would take years to complete (not to mention issues with threading the stack through the caverns and powering it).

#2 would not work out that well since my iron and other ores are mainly located in shallow levels.  Shifting everything down will essentially create a similar issue.

#4 I have down some advanced world gens that had reduced settings for # of layers between caverns and some other tweaks (that I do not recall off the top of my head.)  With those I have a few fortresses generated with the first cavern 7-8 stone levels down and hitting the Magma Sea within 50 levels of the surface.  Those forts followed #1 and moved their smelting ops up near the surface via pump stack.

#5 Not much to offer other than trying to do as much metal work down below as possible.  Smelt and store bars there, and only haul finished products up.  A dining room and beds for metal workers in a deep location might limit their commuting back and forth.  And you might want to burrow a few haulers down there with them to haul items from your drop shaft location to the appropriate storage for use.

alright man, i was just kinda wondering if other people had this distance issue and how they got around it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »

I might have missed it, but it doesn't appear anyone mentioned the obvious.

Have appropriate stockpiles near the magma forge area that pulls materials from the stockpiles higher up (in the fort proper).  This includes food and drink, in addition to metal, fuel and ore.  You will need a decent amount of haulers available to keep the magma forge area properly stocked, of course.

You definitely want to have at least a dormitory by the forges as well, to allow them to nap much closer to their work-site.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »

I build my forts like this

1) The fort proper
2) Basic industry stockpiles: Ores, bars, flux, charcoal, etc all gets its own stockpile
3) The magma forges. I have four forges and five smelters on this level
4) Magma sea, or a magma vent higher up if I could find it.

Ideally, you'll want a labor force of about 60+ dwarves before you begin this endeavor, because there'll be plenty of rocks to haul and plenty of ores/bars to bring down. It's best to have minimum amount of movement for smelters and forgers, but since they'll usually be brought water by idle dwarves and they'll walk up to the dining hall to eat food in most cases anyway, unless you want to go to the trouble of burrowing them down there then there's really little point in bothering with a stockpile there.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »

A tip for drop chutes. A straight shaft of up/down stairs makes a perfectly serviceable drop-chute since falling objects fall straight through downstairs or up/down stairs. Just channel out one of the stairs, and designate it as a dump zone. Dwarfs will dump things into the stairwell and the objects will "fall down the stairs" to the bottom. Once you've finished dumping stuff you can just build a new up/down stair in the channeled out space.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:24:19 am »

All these ideas are very simple and sane, enough of that. You should mine out every z level between the main fortress and the forging area then drop the entire fortress until it sits on top of your magma works. Survival is not guaranteed; actually not surviving is probably pretty much guaranteed. Merchants and goblins might have a hard time reaching you after that, seeing as how you'll have only a 1 square wide ledge around the edge of the map and a 90zlvl drop. I promise you'll never want to dig ever again; forever after building fortresses on the surface, out of wood and soap.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:26:48 am »

you should try all these ideas while figureing out which one or combination of them works best for you.

post your findings, eh?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2