Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of questions, not many z levels on my emark, chickens laying eggs  (Read 387 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello.

One of my previous fortresses had like 100 levels I could dig down into I think, my current one... it's like 50 or 60? no ores to make iron too.

The one before this on the same world had about the same.

If I generate a new world might it have more?

I've been embarking with a few hens and a rooster with some laying boxes. They went to the boxes and laid some eggs when I placed them, but they don't seem to be going near them at the moment. Just hanging around my meeting hall, how can I get them to lay?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

50-60 tends to be about the average number of z-levels on flatter fortresses. If you want more then that you probably will need to embark somewhere a little more mountainous, or edit the world gen to have more empty layers in-between the cavern layers.

Exactly how long has it been since the last eggs were laid? IIRC, most egg-layers will only lay about once every 6 months to a year, so if you stole all of their eggs right off the bat it might be a while until they lay eggs again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been embarking with a few hens and a rooster with some laying boxes. They went to the boxes and laid some eggs when I placed them, but they don't seem to be going near them at the moment. Just hanging around my meeting hall, how can I get them to lay?

Put the hens in a pasture on top of the nest boxes. Turkeys lay more eggs and grow larger, meaning, they're much better than chickens.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks.

It's been a month. I thought I read somewhere they lay one every day but I just noticed like 10-18 in each nest before they got hauled off.

So, next boxes in a pasture and use turkeys?

Sweet.