Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cavern level 3 connects to 1  (Read 1224 times)

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern level 3 connects to 1
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:47:19 pm »

I've been digging down for the magma sea. As I was doing so I opened up a cavern level 1 and got two downward passage marks. I then hit the cavern level 2 and finally cavern level 3. Should I be worried about monsters from cavern level 3 invading my not-so-well-defended level 1 entrance and entering my fort?
So far only a hungry head has come up.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern level 3 connects to 1
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:55:41 pm »

My caverns at Whisperbolt seem pretty interconnected, too, but I haven't seen a whole lot of inter-cavern migration. On the other hand, I also do not seem to get a lot of flying underground critters at Whisperbolt, so my experiences may not be entirely standard.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »

Wandering monsters tend to stay on their own level. But building destroyers and forgotten beasts will path to the upper cavern if they can get a clear path. Usually this involves flying, so most of the non-flyers you won't have to worry about.  But forgotten beasts will be a problem.
Playing since 2007

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

Not all FB's mind you, but a few will. Also, Cave swallows and bats. :d

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:06 pm »

solution: shove grates over all downward passages. cant be destroyed from below, but it does mean if a dwarf opens it he gets a beard full of forgotten beast ju ju.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:35:14 pm »

solution: shove grates over all downward passages. cant be destroyed from below, but it does mean if a dwarf opens it he gets a beard full of forgotten beast ju ju.

Or hatches.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:49:08 pm »

Hatches can for sure be destroyed from below. I don't know if that's true about grates because I've never tried it.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:04 am »

Hatches can for sure be destroyed from below. I don't know if that's true about grates because I've never tried it.

I've not noticed hatches be destroyed from below... Hmmm....

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:44:37 am »

I've not noticed hatches be destroyed from below... Hmmm....

Wait, what?

Hatches cannot be destroyed directly from a building destroyer below it.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:52:01 am »

I know that's wrong because I've had building destroys break through my fortress that way.
My understanding is that hatches can only be destroyed by a creature STANDING on the tile below, not flying. If you just have a hole in the floor with no stairs leading up to it, a hatch will work fine, but if there are stairs underneath, they'll be able to get through.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:25:30 am »

I know that's wrong because I've had building destroys break through my fortress that way.
My understanding is that hatches can only be destroyed by a creature STANDING on the tile below, not flying. If you just have a hole in the floor with no stairs leading up to it, a hatch will work fine, but if there are stairs underneath, they'll be able to get through.

I can confirm this through my own experience.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »

I read that grates were impossible to get through from below on the wiki so that's how I'm getting water out of the cavern in my current fort. But I have a forgotten beast now sitting for a year under the grate not doing anything, as if he's trying to path into the fort.

Thankfully I had a pump taking the water from the grate to elsewhere, so no dwarf needs to go near it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »

I can confirm this through my own experience.

You sure these were rock/metal hatches?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

I've been digging down for the magma sea. As I was doing so I opened up a cavern level 1 and got two downward passage marks. I then hit the cavern level 2 and finally cavern level 3. Should I be worried about monsters from cavern level 3 invading my not-so-well-defended level 1 entrance and entering my fort?
So far only a hungry head has come up.

Yes, you should.  Being attacked from below is a classic way for forts to fall.  I'd wall the caverns off until you feel up to running a military.  Since you've opened all the levels, trees and moss should start sprouting on any mud/soil in your fort, so that's most of the benefits of caverns right there. You can wall off the caverns without losing that.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

I have had a fort where 3 minor rivers met in one location, and fell via waterfall directly to the third cavern level.
But it lagged so hard I couldn't play it.  :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2