Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Update features?  (Read 6533 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Update features?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:20 am »

The new update largely focuses on expanding fortress mode and its interactions with the world - something adventure mode is more capable of taking advantage of :P

No, that's for release 5 and later.

Evil biomes e.t.c.

That's not fortress mode's interactions with the world, that's the world's interactions with fortress mode. What you said suggested that Fortress Mode will change the world outside the fortress, not that the world's actions will change fortress mode.

Not if you drop your fortress onto the parts of the world affected ;)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »

Thx for the reply's all.

Interesting point about fortresses affecting the outside world. It made me think when a fortress mode game is in progress dose the rest of history evolve with it or dose it instance your fortress and apply changes to the world when you abandon and offload. I know toady was playing with town storage and markets as wells as legends mode being there that would indicate it defiantly dose change the world in real time however it seems to be limited to certain factors.

So my question this time is what New fortress / world interactions will be in the new version.

Eg. Can a (Insert !!!FUN!! here) turn up in fortress mode, be seen off only to hear he has wiped out a trading partner (Civ)?
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:16 pm »

No. After world generation, history essentially stops and only your forts contribute to it. Everything else is frozen. There are plans to change it, but this will not be any time soon.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

No. After world generation, history essentially stops and only your forts contribute to it. Everything else is frozen. There are plans to change it, but this will not be any time soon.

You can still mess around with it a bit in adventure mode

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »

No, it's about as much as in fort mode

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »

fort mode doesn't have massive civ-wide rampages ;p

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »

fort mode doesn't have massive civ-wide rampages ;p

Massive civ-wide rampages aren't respected in legends or even in later adventurers, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »

Massive civ-wide rampages aren't respected in legends or even in later adventurers, though.

It's still interacting with the world :)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:36 pm »

To be honest I'm looking at it with trepidation. Vampires are played out, and of all the things I imagine DF needs to be more fun (with a small f), they wouldn't even crack my top 1000. It's just one more thing I have to worry about in fort mode. If the dwarven women start getting all angsty about whether they should choose to be with the vampire or the werewolf, that's about the end of it for me.  ;)

On the topic of changing the world, I'm watching a lets play right now in a haunted biome with eyeballs and tendrils all over the ground. It would be neat if over time your dwarven fortress, if successful, is able to "beat it back" so to speak, and the land slowly heals. Or, for the evil ones among us, you can start a fort in a serene biome and completely poison and corrupt it.

In the lets play, the evil area is right next to a volcano, and I was thinking, if they just channeled the magma (lava in this instance I guess since it's above ground) they can burn away all those horrible eyes...if they did that, would they eventually grow back or would it revert to grass and shrubs, etc. I think I may just go try it. Need to find a haunted volcano...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:28:43 pm »

To be honest I'm looking at it with trepidation. Vampires are played out, and of all the things I imagine DF needs to be more fun (with a small f), they wouldn't even crack my top 1000. It's just one more thing I have to worry about in fort mode. If the dwarven women start getting all angsty about whether they should choose to be with the vampire or the werewolf, that's about the end of it for me.  ;)

They pick the booze.

On the topic of changing the world, I'm watching a lets play right now in a haunted biome with eyeballs and tendrils all over the ground. It would be neat if over time your dwarven fortress, if successful, is able to "beat it back" so to speak, and the land slowly heals.
Why would you want to do that? Also, eyeballs.

Or, for the evil ones among us, you can start a fort in a serene biome and completely poison and corrupt it.

:D :D :D :D :D

Unicorns with tentacles o-o

In the lets play, the evil area is right next to a volcano, and I was thinking, if they just channeled the magma (lava in this instance I guess since it's above ground) they can burn away all those horrible eyes...if they did that, would they eventually grow back or would it revert to grass and shrubs, etc. I think I may just go try it. Need to find a haunted volcano...

Nope, no changing what plants spawn where. Also, remove teh eyeballz.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 06:35:37 am »

On the topic of changing the world, I'm watching a lets play right now in a haunted biome with eyeballs and tendrils all over the ground. It would be neat if over time your dwarven fortress, if successful, is able to "beat it back" so to speak, and the land slowly heals. Or, for the evil ones among us, you can start a fort in a serene biome and completely poison and corrupt it.

There is some amazing potential for that kind of thing when Toady gets around to deities and "spheres", which I guess will have to wait while he works on some other awesome stuff.  So many games add things like multiplayer, or new weapons - DF adds procedurally generated cities with sewer systems full of kobolds with caps and waistcoats (I hope they're still in, there is some kind of Victorian charm about the city kobolds wearing mangy, civilized clothing).  To answer the OP's question; I'm looking forward to so much with this release and future ones I have stopped buying console games to fund DF instead.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:21 am »

there is some kind of Victorian charm about the city kobolds wearing mangy, civilized clothing
I imagine they all have tiny little English accents. "Please, sir, can I have some more kitten biscuits?"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »

Uristina cancels *pine over vampire*
Uristaina is galavanting around the forest with shirtless werewolf

Frankly the rewrite of the undead is worth enough on its own.  I don't even mean vampires and such, just making the undead (hopefully) dangerous again, right now you can 'pop' pretty much all of them with no trouble (this arose from a change after the new version when they became damn near invincible, particularly skeletons).  I like evil embarks but since most undead are at best a hassle it makes it far less interesting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »

there is some kind of Victorian charm about the city kobolds wearing mangy, civilized clothing
I imagine they all have tiny little English accents. "Please, sir, can I have some more kitten biscuits?"
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAMAGE D:

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:20 am »

Apparently goods will now move around the world, which means it will finally be possible to get steel equipment for adventurers. Fortresswise, this means mass producing stone trinkets is no longer a solution for all trading, and maybe supplies often traded from other cities will start getting more pricey too.

The historical figures moving to the fort are a massive plus too. Only some of the dwarves catch my affections, but when all of them have some sort of backstories it will be much easier to personify them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3