Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: i need advice for playing human style  (Read 2281 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: i need advice for playing human style
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »

Clay, or dig massive holes in the ground. Personally, I like digging massive holes in the ground, partly because I never find trees.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 06:48:57 pm »

and as for avoiding theft from animals and ... KOBOLDS
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »

A healthy dose of military solves that problem.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »

that does not heal the humility of getting killed by Kobolds

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »

But it does kill them.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

But it does kill them.

I know but it still hurts.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:24 pm »

sand + magma = tons of glass building materials, which make up for the fact that maps with sand tend to not have many trees. Also I've got to agree with most of what other people have said here, though it is possible to get by without a military through ample use of traps (especially if you utilize goblin grinders).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 01:33:19 am »

sand + magma = tons of glass building materials, which make up for the fact that maps with sand tend to not have many trees. Also I've got to agree with most of what other people have said here, though it is possible to get by without a military through ample use of traps (especially if you utilize goblin grinders).

Because magma = Human style of play -_-

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 02:43:56 am »

Note, Kobolds attack by sneaking. Set up your encampment in a tight spot. Mostly flanked by hills or mountainous areas.

Try to get in a heavily forested area, clear your perimeter then wall it off. Chokepoints are vital for above ground construction with NO MINING. Bridges could be wooden, mechanisms would have to come from imported asked-for stone.

Fun is to be had again.

Deny all seeds, Dwarves only have access to below ground seeds. Rely on the Elven and Human caravans, protect them at all costs and then give them nice profits by using COOKED GOODS.

I dig those play styles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 06:30:47 am »

Remember, Dwarves mine, Human's quarry. IE, digging a big hole to get to stone, instead of a little shaft.

Use siege weaponry. Catapults aren't that good if you don't have a lot of excess stone, but Ballista work well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:31 am »

Why do people have problems with Kobolds? They get torn to pieces by unarmed and unarmoured wrestlers >_>

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 03:18:54 pm »

Because magma = Human style of play -_-
If you embark on a volcano it is. In my opinion "human style play" = using stuff on the surface + maybe a small amount of mining for resources, not to live in. Therefore if you embark on a place where magma reaches the surface then it is completely legal to use, similar to if there is a river then it is legal to use it for water/fish. As a result the cut-down of potential sites is enormous, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. On the other side you could always embark some place with clay if you preferred, as that also works as a source of infinite wall-building materials.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 03:35:24 pm »

Why do people have problems with Kobolds? They get torn to pieces by unarmed and unarmoured wrestlers >_>

it was an ambush they had armor and weapons and the group had 12 kobolds in it

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »

You need a moat, preferably one that goes around a huge area to give you enough trees to work with, and one or two entrances to allow caravans to get in. Here's mine for example with the corrosion mod: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10730-throwerflickered

As for seeds, aside from relying on elven and human caravans, remember that you can pick seeds from the shrubs around you.

After your defences are set up, you're mainly set.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »

You need a moat, preferably one that goes around a huge area to give you enough trees to work with, and one or two entrances to allow caravans to get in. Here's mine for example with the corrosion mod: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10730-throwerflickered

As for seeds, aside from relying on elven and human caravans, remember that you can pick seeds from the shrubs around you.

After your defences are set up, you're mainly set.

thanks so here is the list of things i need

a wall
a moat
an militia
above ground plants
a quarry (cuz that's how humans do it apparently)
and ballistas

so is that about it

Pages: 1 [2] 3