Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: i need advice for playing human style  (Read 2285 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
i need advice for playing human style
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:58:31 pm »

I decided to play human style, nothing but above ground... I got killed of by kobolds... KOBOLDS. I feel like a failure.

MOTHER FUCKING KOBOLDS!!!! really
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i need advice for playing human style
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »

Above ground? As in, no digging at all? Well, first you unselect picks from your embark options. You won't be using them anyway. Get some axes instead. Cut wood and wall yourself in.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:54:56 pm »

Above ground? As in, no digging at all? Well, first you unselect picks from your embark options. You won't be using them anyway. Get some axes instead. Cut wood and wall yourself in.

i have a mine... but only for minning

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »

i have a mine... but only for minning

And doing what? Mining is not an end, it is a means to an end.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:34:13 pm »

???

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03:06 am »

If you're living on the surface you absolutely need a military no questions asked. Embark with military dwarves, at least 2, preferably 4, even 6 if you like - they should be proficient weapon users, secondary skill barely matters. Put them in squads of 2 and have them spar. And bring supplies for their weapons and armor. Either supplies for DIY steel smelting, or DIY bronze smelting, or bronze bars.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:49 am »

bring some rocks, they are cheap (3 bucks each) and can be used to make traps.
Bring copper/tin ores (6 bucks each) for bronze (very humene, btw)
Bring some horses to breed because they are god damn skullcrushers.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:15:16 am »

If you're living on the surface you absolutely need a military no questions asked. Embark with military dwarves, at least 2, preferably 4, even 6 if you like - they should be proficient weapon users, secondary skill barely matters. Put them in squads of 2 and have them spar. And bring supplies for their weapons and armor. Either supplies for DIY steel smelting, or DIY bronze smelting, or bronze bars.

well that helps... I'm still angry I got killed by KOBOLDS

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:03 am »

wooden shields for everyone kind of prevent that.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:42:33 am »

wooden shields for everyone kind of prevent that.

My pride and joy is 100 feet of retractable stone over a 100 foot deep hole with 1 way out which is a corridor full of glass discs... that’s my defense setup and it works amazingly well. Kobolds… I thought a cat could kill 1 of them

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 03:56:55 am »

I don't know about the vanilla DF but in genesis sheep sweetbread is free, you can save a lot of money buying only sheep sweetbread for food and you can use it for buying rocks and copper nuggets.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:51 am »

Build a one tile high curtain wall, build a gate house, and from there I usually go military mad and begin conscripting myself an army to be proud of. Or you could just use traps, but meh. Also, have a quarry that connects to the caverns. My quarry is a spiral rampway that has yet to reach the caverns (but I've already got a cave that connects to the caverns, so meh).

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:19 am »

Raise lots of chickens. Eggs are very good for food and you don't have to do anything.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:30:05 am »

Building above ground? I usually only do that when I have to get through an aquifer. If that's the case, I have one guy dedicated to wood cutting who gets a point of skills in woodcutting. It's technically overkill but when I need wood for walls, the faster the better.

Plus you'll need wood for roofing so you can put up beds.

For defenses, I build pillars of two or three levels, with 2x2, or 3x3 floors inside, and fill them with marksdwarves. This ensures that I have somewhere I can retreat by putting burrows in the upper levels and thus anything that threatens has to get through the military before it can get to the civvies. Depending on how I'm playing, I might have either tunnels connecting them, or airborne stair cases. If the latter, then the bottom floor is under the ground, and is where the civvies are.

Usually everything ends up all cramped together in a 9x9, with no doors, only diagonal entrances. As I get more wood, I expand the fort with more rooms like that. Tends to leave a huge amount of space I don't need, but then I can do things with it. Eventually I have civilians in the middle and military in the outer spaces.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »

Raise lots of chickens. Eggs are very good for food and you don't have to do anything.

I prefer turkeys,  better for meat and they make eggs like MAD.
Pages: [1] 2 3