Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Bestowed the name" artifacts less common.  (Read 4604 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Bestowed the name" artifacts less common.
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »

Dwarves who wield weapons and certain pieces of armor long enough will grow attached to them and eventually give them a name, promoting the item to artifact status. I think this needs to me much less common, only happening in the case of extremely notable kills, perhaps requiring several such kills even.

As it stands now, my militia dwarves will often start making these demi-artifacts quite rapidly and with no justification. It seems a bit silly for a junky -copper shortsword- that has never seen combat and is merely a placeholder for Urist to train with should become a legendary artifact of my fortress simply because Urist practiced with it in the barracks for a couple of seasons.

This has probably been suggested before, but I didn't see anything specifically related to it when I did a search.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Bestowed the name" artifacts less common.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »

I agree, it rather takes some of the awesomeness out of it when nearly your entire military is running around with named weapons...

it'd be cooler if dwarves only named weapons fairly rarely, and only after they had performed some *truly* amazing feats with it... sparring and training activities shouldn't count toward this at all, and "regular" goblins probably should only count if you've personally killed like 100 of them... Elite/Master Goblins should count a fair bit, etc.

--nomad_delta

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »

I agree.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:40 am »

Do you guys use danger rooms by any chance? My dwarves die quite often hah. Only once in awhile I get that awesome dwarf.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:07 am »

I definitely think it needs to be toned down, or the internal logic behind it changed (a weapon shouldn't be awarded a title without even making kills).

Do you guys use danger rooms by any chance? My dwarves die quite often hah. Only once in awhile I get that awesome dwarf.

What does that have to do with this thread?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:43:43 am »

I definitely think it needs to be toned down, or the internal logic behind it changed (a weapon shouldn't be awarded a title without even making kills).

the point being that this happens quite easily once you get that good lil dwarf.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:16:57 am »

I don't utilize danger rooms, I simply use many training squads of two dwarves to maximize sparring. I usually start getting "Urist has grown attached to weapon" within a couple of months of training, and named weapons can appear any time after that. If I start my training squads early enough, I often have at least a few "bestowed name" weapon or shield artifacts by the time the first ambushes and sieges arrive.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 02:37:25 am »

I have never, ever once had anyone bestow a name upon their weapon. The occasional attachment (once, even for a weapon that someone else was using... somehow) but never a name.

HOW OH HOW DO THEY DO IT?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:17:06 am »

Last fort (Zalisiden) I had no names, but a huge amount of attachments.
Fort before that, which had a danger room, had two attachments and one named: Libadnoleth Rulgim (Praisegulfs the Submerged Twist), an =adamantine battle axe=.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:13 am »

I quite like my artefact fodder :/

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 06:39:11 am »

I've never seen this as a problem as most of the time you need about 50-60 kills for the weapon to get named...

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 06:54:59 am »

Thats not a problem in my fort. The ground is strewn with goblin eyeballs.

I agree. The minimum kill count with that weapon for it to become named should be about 200, at least. Then, everyone will know and fear it. Either that or they do something like kill the goblin general, or kill a high-ranking enemy of their civ.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 07:15:51 am »

Libadnoleth Rulgim that I mentioned earlier had 65 notable kills by the time its user abandoned it.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »

Feisty! Yeah I was just referring to the fact that in my personal experience, without using a danger room, my dwarves die far too often to get that named weapon... htabdoolb has a good method though which is consistently getting named weapons, so I guess the settings could get tweaked so that a semi-megabeast or megabeast kill is needed? I also like the other ideas requiring a 100-200 kill count, or a general kill hah.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 02:12:31 pm »

I have never, ever once had anyone bestow a name upon their weapon. The occasional attachment (once, even for a weapon that someone else was using... somehow) but never a name.

HOW OH HOW DO THEY DO IT?

This. I have dwarves that have been slaying invaders since the founding of the fort, and never have I seen someone name a weapon, only grow attached to it.

So no, I think it's fine how it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3