Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Bestowed the name" artifacts less common.  (Read 4601 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Bestowed the name" artifacts less common.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »

Eh? Since I started playing Dwarf Fortress 2 years ago, I have never once gotten a named weapon, even in a community fort with a dwarf that had over 40 goblin kills. If anything, named weapons are too rare.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »

I donīt support this suggestion. I think itīs awesome that my dwarves name their old scavenged goblin weapons they wield after theyīve gotten a few dozen kills with them. There are still weapons with 40 kills that donīt get a name, so I donīt feel there are too many named weapons.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

An Olm-man in my fort who slew the Forgotten Beast Cetha Cethutha Cetha has named his nether-cap spear. Forget the name though.

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:13 pm »

I have never found them to be too common, my last fort had maybe 6 of them over the course of 10 or 11 years, none of the weapons having less than 15 notable kills with most having 30+, i don't think they should come any quicker than that by any means but i thought it was reasonable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

Over six forts (Creaturebolt, Creaturebolt II, Boldropes I, Boldropes II, Zalisiden and Limulunnos) I have had two named- one in Boldropes II, the aforementioned Libadnoleth Rulgim and the nether-cap spear in Limulunnos.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

Most common naming is when someone does kill something of note. 1-2 forgotten beasts, or a couple mega/semi-mega beasts pretty much guarantees a name in my experience. But goblins alone seems to take awhile. So, I think it's fine how it is mostly, aside from training making named weapons.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »

Well, since some people like the way named weapons work now, how about an option to disable them similar to the [ARTIFACTS:YES/NO] toggle in the init files? Perhaps even a frequency option, so one could set the odds of a named weapon appearing to be whatever they like.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:16 pm »

my militia captain had grown used to his training axe, so I had to put a stop to that before he ran around, beating goblins with a stick that had a funny name.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »

In the twenty or so forts I've had with the newest version, I've had TWO named weapons.  I had a Silver Shortsword that was taken from a Goblin (and was used by a one-armed female dwarf with three kids to make her nearly invincible in combat...  Indeed it took a siege of 20 Goblins hitting her at the same time to put her down, and she still took most of them with her...  The ones that didn't die, got off with major injuries).  The other got named by a speardwarf when I was ordering him to kill most of the wildlife on my map.

I've yet to have any weapon be named through "sparring", even when I've had dwarves spar for upwards of four years (and no Elite yet made.... still figuring out how to best make them train well).  No clue how you guys get so many named weapons, especially through sparring...  But whatever...
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »

I had a dwarf 'become attached to his cave spider silk left glove'. Will he name it?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 02:42:28 am »

I have never had a named weapon and I have been playing (albeit not intensely) since 40d.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »

I think there needs to be a difference between a dwarf naming a weapon (attachment) and it becoming an artifact.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 04:47:59 pm »

Attachment doesn't get it named, it just means the dwarf has grown particularly fond of it. Getting in named supposedly comes sometime after attachment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 05:22:38 pm »

Maybe if named weapons weren't automatically artifacts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »

Or had a dif. screen. Or if the artefact screen had a sort list ;P
Pages: 1 [2] 3