Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Greedy Miner! Your Settlement has been abandoned!  (Read 3333 times)

Cheifn oHuurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Greedy Miner! Your Settlement has been abandoned!
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:26 am »

Hi, I'm playing DF for some months now and am completely and utterly addicted. I spread the virus to my brother who ist equally hooked on the stuff. Maybe he overdid at some point, because this is what happened all of a sudden to him when digging maybe a bit too much:

Greedy Miner! Your Settlement has been abandoned!

And then it just went to the homescreen, never saving or anything. Has anyone ever encountered something like this?
The Swordmaster punches The Animal Caretaker in the head with her right hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the scull through the brain and tearing the brain.
The Animal Caretaker has been knocked unconscious!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Greedy Miner! Your Settlement has been abandoned!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:55:55 am »

What version are you playing?  The only version where your fortress would suddenly be abandoned without warning was the very old 2D version of the game, 0.23 or so.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cheifn oHuurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

What version are you playing?  The only version where your fortress would suddenly be abandoned without warning was the very old 2D version of the game, 0.23 or so.

nope, we're playing v0.31.25
The Swordmaster punches The Animal Caretaker in the head with her right hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the scull through the brain and tearing the brain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:06:40 pm »

The phrase 'Greedy Miner!' does not appear anywhere in the string dump from the current version of the game.  Without a screenshot, I'm going to have to doubt this actually happened.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

Impossible. Your settlement will not be abandoned without warning in 31.25, especially not from digging. The only way for the fort's lifespan to forcibly end in 31.25, and in fact every version since the ones since the introduction of z-levels, is to have all of your dwarves killed or died. Even in some of the versions before the move to 3D, you didn't instantly die from Digging Too Deep, as instead certain extremely nasty creatures would spawn in the depths (and usually wipe out your fortress)

To tell what version you're using, on the main menu, look in the lower right corner. It will say which version is being used. Your brother might be using a different version from you, too, for whatever reason. Regardless, I'd suggest you use the most recent version; many bugs have been fixed and many, many features implemented that make the game significantly deeper and more entertaining, as well as more Fun.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »

"Your settlement has been abandoned" is the message that pops up when you abandon the fort. Was he trying to quit without saving, by any chance, and accidentally selected "Abandon Fortress"?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »

"Your settlement has been abandoned" is the message that pops up when you abandon the fort. Was he trying to quit without saving, by any chance, and accidentally selected "Abandon Fortress"?

I would have to agree with this.  If all your dwarves die, the message is "Your fortress has crumbled to its end," or something similar.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:36:11 pm »

Sounds like somebody fat-fingered the wrong option at the menu.......  :-X
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cheifn oHuurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

This message actually popped up in the anouncement screen. Upon hitting ESC the game jumped right away to the Homemenu. I have a pic f the screen on my cell, as soon as I can draw it out on the PC, I'll post it here.

No fatfingering here, I am almost sure. Almost, since it were not my fingers, but my brothers...

Cheifn oHuurn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:41:02 am »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:55 am »

In the data folder for DF, in the announcement subfolder, there are files which I logically presume relate to announcements. SOme of them are obvious, like "invasion_goblin" - A vile force of darkness has arrived... but there are a number of files relating to the end of a fortress (end2, 3 and 4 and semiend). I further assume that "Your settlement has been abandoned" and so on are in these files. Alas, I cant work out how to open them. One of them might have the greedy miner text string in it, but I for one know no way of making it occur and have never seen it.
This is a blank sig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

The "settlement abandoned" message is located in data/announcement/end4, and the exact text is "Your settlement has been abandoned." (lowercase "s", ending with period) with the title "Abandoned" at the top of the screen. It does not appear in the Announcements list, but as its own screen (as with siege announcements and diplomat meetings).

Unless you're using some sort of mod, the message you encountered is 100% impossible and I call "photoshopped".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:35 am »

That message in undwarvenly and must be purged with magma.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »

I retract my earlier accusation of fatfinger, and replace it with one of deliberate shenanigans. Or modding.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »

DF uses a sans-serif font. Definitely either shenanigans, 'shop, or modding.
Pages: [1] 2