Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins at the gate! A few battle related questions.  (Read 732 times)

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins at the gate! A few battle related questions.
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:13 am »

so my very first siege is at my doorstep and now I'm struck with uncertainty. Combat is an area that apart from the brutal beatdown of a few panda men and the demise of my first fortress at the hands of goblins I do not really have any experience in so the first question I have is as follows; will my squad of dwarves in complete steel armour brandishing silver warhammers be able to beat the snot out of the goblins without taking too many casualties after undergoing rigorous danger room (sue me) regimes?

and while on the subject of casualties, there was of course civilian casualties (only 3! 2 dead and one horribly wounded and has been so for several ingame months) so my question is; how do I get Urist McMedicine to diagnose her? I have a chief medical dwarf selected and two other medical dwarves that are very skilled in medicine and have the diagnosing labour enabled but they all spend their days navel gazing in the meeting hall rather than saving this poor hero. I can understand them not fixing the bones due to my distinct lack of gypsum but my high master wound dresser and suturer should at least do something about the profuse bleeding but isn't.

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins at the gate! A few battle related questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:33:35 am »

Do you have a hospital set up?

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:52:28 am »

yes, 10 beds, 10 tables, 7 traction benches and a whole bunch of containers filled with everything save for soap.

e: and the place is designated as the hospital.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:54:58 am by agambadi »

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »

Ok are all hospital labors enabled on all the doctors?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:24 pm »

burrow your chief medical dwarf in the hospital.  it makes a big difference.  Make sure he has a bed and food and booze in his burrow too.

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »

yes, they have all the labours they're supposed to preform enabled but they're just not doing them never mind, after I set the things babylon told me to set up he got to it and diagnosed them and they're now being treated. Hooray.

As for my brave, brave leatherworker/terminator, she died and I could not make a grand tomb in time.

And the siege is over, they left before I could engage them but I did get ambushed a minute lather thought and it turns out that apart from the huge jerks with crossbows goblins are not match for my militia.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:49:28 pm »

Do not get attached to your dwarfs, it makes playing the game REALLY BORING.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

Do not get attached to your dwarfs, it makes playing the game REALLY BORING.

Really interesting :P

agambadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »

I really don't care if the dwarves live or die, I just want to play the game and get some good stories  and enjoyment from it. That dwarf is now a story and I had fun.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »

Oh lord that dwarf has been throgh some suffering. it hasnt had any alcohol for several months!