Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64277 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #450 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:04 am »

thanks spish,
ok, it's all loaded up and ready for terra_inc.
if terra_inc hasnt grabbed it by tomorrow morning, ill figure out whose turn it is when i get to work.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:47 am »

Sorry, move me to #3 for the test world. I'm going to be busy today (Friday), so I won't have the time to give it a proper run.

The delay doesn't stop me from thinking of how to best destroy the world in the given amount of time, though. ^^
please dont do that
ETHIC:FUN:MANDATORY

Must blow up the world... Armok demands it...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
this aint that kinda game.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 27, 2012, 01:34:44 am »

Sorry, move me to #3 for the test world. I'm going to be busy today (Friday), so I won't have the time to give it a proper run.

The delay doesn't stop me from thinking of how to best destroy the world in the given amount of time, though. ^^
please dont do that

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
What's wrong with creating a cult-fortress dedicated to worshiping the ancient dorfy god of Sockthulu? Their madness will spread across the world, bringing joy and dorfiness to all who heed the dread callings of the sock.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:00 am »

please dont do that

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
What's wrong with creating a cult-fortress dedicated to worshiping the ancient dorfy god of Sockthulu? Their madness will spread across the world, bringing joy and dorfiness to all who heed the dread callings of the sock.
oh, ok, that's just fine.
i thought you meant a literal destroy the world and fuck up the game for everyone else kinda thing, but you meant metaphorically, gotcha

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:43 am »

i thought you meant a literal destroy the world and fuck up the game for everyone else kinda thing, but you meant metaphorically, gotcha
The only way that could happen is if someone hacked the gamefile into oblivion, we won't be allowing that kinda thing though. There is little you can do to affect the world beyond the boundaries of the chosen site.

That makes me think though. If one dwarf player were to piss off the elves and humans and start a war with them, would that carry over to the next player-from-that-civ's turn?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:51:54 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 27, 2012, 02:26:16 am »

The only way that could happen is if someone hacked the gamefile into oblivion, we won't be allowing that kinda thing though. There is little you can do to affect the world beyond the boundaries of the chosen site.

That makes me think though. If one dwarf player were to piss off the elves and humans and start a war with them, would that carry over to the next player-from-that-civ's turn?
dunno, try it out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 27, 2012, 02:35:28 am »

I think it may, actually.

Also, does "no fuck-the-world devices" mean I can't design a Mechanically Erupting Volcano to make escaping from my fortress after stealing the occult loot all the more fun?

The magma of course stops flowing once the player is far enough away that DF unloads the info for the region tile it's in. (or at least is outside the boundaries of the fortress.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 27, 2012, 02:40:12 am »

does "no fuck-the-world devices" mean I can't... make escaping from my fortress... more fun?
I've removed the extraneous words, and of course it doesn't.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 27, 2012, 03:32:49 am »

thanks spish,
ok, it's all loaded up and ready for terra_inc.
if terra_inc hasnt grabbed it by tomorrow morning, ill figure out whose turn it is when i get to work.

Got it.  :D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 27, 2012, 07:47:41 am »

does "no fuck-the-world devices" mean I can't... make escaping from my fortress... more fun?
I've removed the extraneous words, and of course it doesn't.

In that case a fortress full of Screw-the-adventurer -devices is also fine?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »

so long as it's a fun screwing and gives said adventurer a chance of escape, yes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #461 on: January 27, 2012, 01:38:54 pm »

So I can make devices that possibly flood the world?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 27, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »

Same thing I asked :D

Metaphorically speaking, yes, flood all you want. Literally; no, it's currently impossible to flood the entire world from one fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

I see nothing wrong with dwarven doomsday devices. It'll make pulling levers in adventure mode all the more fun.

Here's something else that could use modding. Clothing. Let's face it, with the system being as broken as it is now, there is no point in decaying cloth. All it does is create unnecessary lag and clutter.

More world-related wall-of-textness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:47:34 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »

I'd warn against modding out every little inconvenience like that or it will soon become overwhelming and difficult to keep track of. Clothing actually affects combat quite a bit, and players may not enjoy having their adventurer completely naked and unprotected. Who knows how many specific bugs like that Toady has already fixed for this next version or will be fixed in the following releases. That bug in particular won't require Toady change any raws, and will likely immediately take effect when the world is loaded in the version which fixes it just like ghosts do when old saves are loaded in versions after their implementation. However, if we remove clothing from the entities or remove the raws for them entirely, it will be impossible to change without a regen.

Sorry, but that honestly sounds like a terrible idea. :P

Also, those older prototypes with civs on the coast were generated with my mods installed rather than vanilla (was only testing landscapes.) The cities you saw belonged to a seafaring civilization of birdmen, not humans. :P
I'll try to repaint the edges of the ocean, but I did that specifically hoping that sea serpents would actually spawn close enough to the shore to be enjoyed by players (because savagery can change within a biome, and still affects creature spawning), which demanded the shoreline itself be savage. It was lazy, I guess, to not zoom in and detail the shore itself as neutral.

Also, it's unbelievably difficult to get it to generate an ocean as a good biome, since the entire ocean will be either good, evil or neutral (it all counts as one region, ignoring temperature and savagery changes that can affect some creature spawns). Evil seems to override good, but fortunately, all you really have to do is generate it over and over again until you find a seed that works, which I will definitely do since skeletal whales aren't a joke (skeletal groundhogs are pretty terrifying as well, in some cases.) Maybe it'll make for an even better river and mountain valleys...
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54