Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64274 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »

Also, who among us is actually going to devote their shot at playing to one of these undwarfy races? They'd be missing out on the rich dwarven history/insanity.
Ooooh! Ooooh! ME! ME!
i cant wait to make some goblin crap to look all crappy and scary and whatnot.
I kinda like that they dont eat, as it turns out. this way, i dont have to worry about farms and food and drink and crap and can just focus on building something creepy and crappy.

that's the goblin way.

Now IF we were trying to make a version of DF like Goblin Warren or whatever, yeah, we'd need to mod the goblins ALOT more, but i kinda think they're ok as is for the purposes of this thingee. I don't even mind the cheap trolls and the no caravans. Screw it. I'm just trying to make something fun for the adventurer to go through, y'know?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »

Can I get in?

By the way PointDexterity, if you were to edit the first post to show the rules, turn list, and a revised description, it would be great. I read this whole thread; I doubt many really want to do that.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:07 am »

^ That's an excellent point.

Reinforce that this is not the final community game thread though, and that it hasn't started yet.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2012, 03:29:28 am »

Can I get in?

By the way PointDexterity, if you were to edit the first post to show the rules, turn list, and a revised description, it would be great. I read this whole thread; I doubt many really want to do that.
will do, good idea. and its just poindexterity, not poinTdexterity.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 24, 2012, 03:35:30 am »

list of rules added to original post.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:37 am »

For maximum Fun I suggest you mod it so that the various megabeasts will be full sized quickly. In most worlds people never face full sized dragons and I think this would be a shame.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:32 am »

If we're genning a long history, to make sure we have large pools of history and people, I don't see that as necessary.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 24, 2012, 11:47:20 am »

For maximum Fun I suggest you mod it so that the various megabeasts will be full sized quickly. In most worlds people never face full sized dragons and I think this would be a shame.

I think this was mentioned far back in the thread. Myabe someone should make an additional list of what changes we do to the vanilla game? We all agreeed on no free reactions (exception for the elven tree, but maybe that will have some restriction too), making all races playable and at least something to differentiate the other races and/or compensate for lack of feature like hunger (but keeping the changes to a minimum).
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »

i say, ANY change that does not directly enhance the ADVENTURER experience should be nixed. Elves being given free wood just makes it all that easier for them to build something fun for the adventurer, so that's in. goblins needing food wont change the way their fort looks in the least and will not make any difference for an adventurer exploring their area, so i think we should leave that alone.

thoughts?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »

i say, ANY change that does not directly enhance the ADVENTURER experience should be nixed. Elves being given free wood just makes it all that easier for them to build something fun for the adventurer, so that's in. goblins needing food wont change the way their fort looks in the least and will not make any difference for an adventurer exploring their area, so i think we should leave that alone.

I agree entirely. The non-dwarf races should only undergo the bare minimum of modification required to make them playable and able to produce a site for the adventurer to explore.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:50 pm »

ok, i found a potential issue with goblins as a playable race.
not sure if this even matters, but i figured id put it out there.
1- load up map
2- embark as goblins
3- play fort
4- abandon fort.
5- try to start a new goblin fort somewhere else.
6- only able to embark as dwarves.
7- delete region
8- reload region and map
9- embark as goblins

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

scratch that. even after a reload, i cant embark as anything but dwarves.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »

ok, fixed it.
it has something to do with the tileset.
if i dont use one, it works, if i do. no goblins

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »

Sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind making a fort in this world.  I'd probably go just with regular old dwarves, preferably at a non-evil site that has a good mix of cliffs and flat areas.  A river or stream would be good too, but don't really care about volcanoes.  I'd be more interested in creating an elaborate fort to explore rather than cranking out gear for adventurers.  OTOH, I'd probably not bother too much with traps at all, since the fort is meant to be explored.

What do you guys think about choosing a particular civilization to play for each race?
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:58 pm »

If by that, you mean choosing one particular civilization of each race that we will use, then it's an excellent idea, but we couldn't really expect to mandate it and be able to enforce it.
You'd been added to the list, by the way. Pray for dropouts or you'll never see it happen! :D

And Poindexterity, what tileset/graphics set are you using? I want to see a link to the download to see what could possibly be going on.

Oh, and I'm going to postpone any further modding until I see the full changelog for the next version. Wasted time and energy, otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:05:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54