Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64295 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2012, 03:52:37 am »

My two cents: Whereas with dwarves the emphasis is on keeping them healthy, with goblins the emphasis should be on keeping them sane. Make them extra prone to tantrums, berserkery, and general violence.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 23, 2012, 03:58:52 am »

My two cents: Whereas with dwarves the emphasis is on keeping them healthy, with goblins the emphasis should be on keeping them sane. Make them extra prone to tantrums, berserkery, and general violence.
This makes a great deal of sense. Dwarves are already insane, so there's no point in trying to keep them sane. Dwarven dorfiness also creates a large radius insanity field, albeit the field loses strength the further away from the fortress you get. Goblin fortresses a fair distance away from a dwarf fortress will still have problems with insanity, though.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:04 am »

This makes a great deal of sense. Dwarves are already insane, so there's no point in trying to keep them sane. Dwarven dorfiness also creates a large radius insanity field, albeit the field loses strength the further away from the fortress you get. Goblin fortresses a fair distance away from a dwarf fortress will still have problems with insanity, though.
Hhhhm, is there a way to make it so they still have to eat, but in smaller amounts and be less picky about it and include this idea?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »

Oh god this was a wonderful idea.
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2012, 12:50:09 pm »

Oh god this was a wonderful idea.

I think the the Dwarf and Goblin emphasis should be reversed.

Oh Urist McArmstrong has had his arm lobbed off?
Cool with that.

OH GOD HIS PET LAMA IS BURNING

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

Hhhhm, is there a way to make it so they still have to eat, but in smaller amounts and be less picky about it and include this idea?

Not a damn clue, but I'm leaning towards "No, probably not" just because I've never, ever heard of anyone doing that before. Eating rates besides grazing is pretty much hardcoded, and I'll have to do my homework on making goblins more prone to insanity.

That being said, I think the current most damning issue with goblin society is their unwillingness to cut down trees regardless of orders. Odd...

Nevermind; they just won't use great axes, which is what was brought on embark (or perhaps greataxes are just too large for them to wield.)

Time really flies at 300+ fps... I should probably cap that. :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:51:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:37 pm »

As far as I can tell, in fortress mode, it is impossible to get "dorfs" to equip anything that requires multigrasp. I've tried before; no pikes, mauls, great axes, two-handers, etc. Unless you mod them to be viable with one hand, that is.

Goblins'd probably get big happy thoughts from hurting someone during a tantrum, watching someone die, the smell of rotting corpses, things like that. Basically, anything involving violence and death.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2012, 06:15:01 pm »

Wait, wait.  I thought we weren't modding this?  I like embarking as multiple races, fine,  but we want to jump straight into a brand-new version of DF, and mod embarking to include multiple races, and mod the races?  That seems like a bit much.

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »

Wait, wait.  I thought we weren't modding this?  I like embarking as multiple races, fine,  but we want to jump straight into a brand-new version of DF, and mod embarking to include multiple races, and mod the races?  That seems like a bit much.

We're modding it to allow people to embark as other races- whilst keeping them playable.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »

We're modding it to allow people to embark as other races- whilst keeping them playable.

I think making the other races playable should be more an issue of aesthetics rather than making each race have a unique play style.
In the long run though, I don't think it will affect the adventurers playing the map, which I hope will stay the focus of this project.
*insert witty signature here*

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »

I agree, sorta. While I do like the idea of having player-designed elf/goblin/kobold sites, it would take a great deal of modding to make them viable beyond pure aesthetic gimmickry.

Also, who among us is actually going to devote their shot at playing to one of these undwarfy races? They'd be missing out on the rich dwarven history/insanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2012, 06:28:07 pm »

Also, who among us is actually going to devote their shot at playing to one of these undwarfy races? They'd be missing out on the rich dwarven history/insanity.

*cough cough*

It would make sense though. Would Dwarves make traps designed to kill Dwarves? HELL NO!

Elves - Rows upon rows of bow traps
Goblins - Lashy lasherness
Humans - I dunno, gone crazy perhaps? :p

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »

*cough cough*

It would make sense though. Would Dwarves make traps designed to kill Dwarves? HELL NO!

Elves - Rows upon rows of bow traps
Goblins - Lashy lasherness
Humans - I dunno, gone crazy perhaps? :p

I might also, the idea of playing as an elven civilization and creating a gigantic trap filled "Great Tree" with high-quality weapons from the dwarves, humans, and goblins stored at the top extremely (for lack of a better word) interesting.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »

I concur that modding humans and goblins further isn't necessary or highly productive. Once they are playable, that's good enough. Elves and kobolds need more attention because they're the retardsspecial needs persons.

Speaking of kobolds, it appears that the only way to make them playable in fortress mode will be to have them use forest retreats/mountain homes/other non-existent sites besides caves. Not a big deal, butIt's a horrible idea because it'll have the effect of being unable to find kobold caves in adventure mode, or any non-bandit or non-sewer-dwelling kobolds for that matter.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »

I think making the other races playable should be more an issue of aesthetics rather than making each race have a unique play style.
In the long run though, I don't think it will affect the adventurers playing the map, which I hope will stay the focus of this project.
what he said.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54