Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64289 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »

You may have to make the effort to make your turn especially glorious, because there's now 44 people willing to try the first round. I'd cut it back to ~25-30 considering dropout rates, but still.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:52 pm »

I'm in :D

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »

Hah! If everyone played their turns, how long would it take?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2012, 05:00:50 pm »

Well if they took their full turns, then by our rules it would take around 450 days. Well over a year.

Anybody still got the full so-far-agreed-upon rules copied down?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

Well if they took their full turns, then by our rules it would take around 450 days. Well over a year.

Anybody still got the full so-far-agreed-upon rules copied down?

I'm sure someone with more spare time than I have at the moment could go digging through the thread to find them. I think DS posted some polished rules a few pages back.

EDIT: Ah, here they are. They don't really look all that restrictive, but I think that once a project like this gets started it will more or less manage itself.

1. A single turn is 10 days.
  a) If you don't check in and download the save within 2 days of the beginning of your turn, or you fail to upload a save within 2 days of the end of your turn, you are skipped.
  b) In the event that you are skipped, but you still report for duty within 4 days of the deadline (either the beginning or end of turn), you are allowed to take your turn after the next active player in line.
2. Avoid killing historical goblin civ leaders - killing of non-goblin civ leaders is banned completely.
3. RAW tampering and use of 3rd party utilities is forbidden, except when explicitly allowed by the community.
4. Upon finishing your turn, you're encouraged to write a blurb about your fort.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:31:02 pm by clockout1 »
*insert witty signature here*

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »

I've gone through the thread, and made an attempt at codifying the rules that everyone has discussed. I've included some things that have been collectively implied, but never stated explicitly, so these rules are rather long. In general, I've attempted to make these rules as comprehensive as possible, so that everything that has been discussed can be viewed in a single post.

For your review, the prototype rule set for the 2012 Succession World:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whew! That's quite a bit of information.

I encourage everyone to review these and submit criticism, since I'm positive there's stuff that I've overlooked or misworded, as well as new ideas that people might be interested in. I'll maintain these rules and incorporate changes or suggestions as they are brought up.

Example criticism/my own suggestion:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:15:48 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

I second this. Would be quite interesting.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »

So, DS, about adding adventurers; from what I understood, if you finish your fortress with 1 or 2 days of spare time, you create an adventurer and retire him, so he becomes a historical figure, or you play him these 2 days?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »

So, DS, about adding adventurers; from what I understood, if you finish your fortress with 1 or 2 days of spare time, you create an adventurer and retire him, so he becomes a historical figure, or you play him these 2 days?

It's the latter. Under these rules, you would be able to take the adventurer out, go on a few quests, and generally explore. The danger, of course, is that those participating in the succession might "use up" all of the quests, which would be a disaster.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

Would it be possible to have your adventurer go into your own fort? Like I want to make a death maze, And as I'm building it i'll have the foreman writing cryptic note and alluding to traps and paths and the layout, But the adventurer would be a fellow who read the foremans diary and figured with the edge he got from it could rob the maze of it's treasure safely. So then I write another diary from the adventurer's perspective, giving more cryptic hints before having him die horribly.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »

Seems perfectly reasonable.

Also, I did make that 'any adventurer race' file as a mod. Here's the entity file:

The subterranian animal men and normal DF races are based off the vanilla creature files. The rest, signified by "[ID] 2" are species of vanilla creatures I copied from vanilla files and pasted into a new file (which is too large to paste into a code block), adding " 2" to their ID's so that those species will both show up in the wild and as members of this civ, because from my tests with previous mods, adding a normally feral creature to an entity definition prevents it from appearing in the wild, which would kinda suck. Sasquatch and Yeti also had to have CAN_LEARN added to make them sentient.
I'll also ensure they all have CAN_SPEAK.
They'll still spawn in human towns with copper knife and spear and no clothing, and the humans may or may not hate your guts. :P

So, DS, how about them non-dwarven playable races for fort mode? I can definitely do it if the community is in favor. Mostly a little fiddling with the entity raws and making sure they're playable and have the necessary, useful noble positions covered.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:00:06 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »

So, DS, how about them non-dwarven playable races for fort mode? I can definitely do it if the community is in favor. Mostly a little fiddling with the entity raws and making sure they're playable and have the necessary, useful noble positions covered.

Right, there are some slight changes which would need to be made. Goblins, for example, can embark with trolls for dirt cheap, and there are some noble positions missing. I haven't heard any resistance from the community concerning non-dwarf sites, but hopefully people will voice their opinions over the next few days.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »

Would another poll be necessary? (or at least a good idea)
I make Spellcrafts!

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:02 pm »

Sounds like things are coming together quickly. I like the rules you guys have up so far. I am definitely for modding in other controllable races. One of the biggest issues I've had with adventure mode is that all the different creatures are just thrown in there. If we have a world where each creature has a place it calls 'home' that can be visited, I think it would allow for a lot of diplomatic tangents.

However, I would rather not have adventurers saved in the world as a rule.  They can take the save and adventure in it AFTER submitting the final save, but adding them in as part of the world would, I feel, limit the possibilities for later adventurers. Unless in the next version new quests pop up periodically, so that by the time the final compendium is put out the quests have re-gened back to full capacity.
Playing since 2007

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:26 am »

Honestly I feel the same way, but with 900 mega- and semi-megabeasts and a full compliment of night creatures, I figure it won't cause too much damage to the questing environment if the adventurers are very strictly controlled (Oh god I sound like a quest elf!)
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54