Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64234 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »

I don't remember how it was said exactly, but weren't there also 9 for men? We could have 19, you know...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

I don't remember how it was said exactly, but weren't there also 9 for men? We could have 19, you know...

I've got it memorized.

Three rings for the elven kings, under the sky
Seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone
Nine for mortal men doomed to die
One for the dark lord on his dark throne
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
One ring to rule them all
One ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

I've got it memorized.

Seven TWENTY FOR THE DWARF LORDS IN THEIR HALLS OF STONE
One ring to find them

Ftfy :p

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »

I've got it memorized.

One ring to find them

But the elves were the ones who made the rings!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

I've got it memorized.

One ring to find them

But the elves were the ones who made the rings!

They probably made them out of something like wood, in fact I bet if you threw an elf ring into a volcano it would be destroyed - hah, rubbish!

2 magma crabs were fishing one day, one of them found an obsidian ring at the bottom of the magma flow...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2012, 04:09:07 pm »

They probably made them out of something like wood, in fact I bet if you threw an elf ring into a volcano it would be destroyed - hah, rubbish!

2 magma crabs were fishing one day, one of them found an obsidian ring at the bottom of the magma flow...

Ah, but these were made by a collab. effort between the finest craftsmen of all races who had a combined strange mood. Plus, they're artefacts so magma wouldn't destroy them, they'd have to be thrown into a volcano where the semi molten rock would destroy them for good.

...20 superdwarf rings for Dwarfdom is a very nice idea though :D
Because giving Dwarves god-like power based of self control and will power seemed like a good idea at the time.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2012, 04:55:55 pm »

I for one wouldn't want the entire population of the world trying to bumrush my site in quick succession, even if they all intended to jump in a volcano. Think of the FPS hit of a 13k+ horde of sentients, and all their clothing, starting to flood into your map from all directions (not quite all at once, but very rapidly nonetheless.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »

So how is this going? I dont want to read 20 pages...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:16 pm »

Would you mind waiting a year for a reply?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »

Would you mind waiting a year for a reply?
Yes. By the way, if there is a hidden reply in your post then I don't see it.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:15 pm »

There are a lot of good ideas being thrown out, but I think the time has come to begin codifying the various points which we have been discussing.

Concerning the issue of flux, we should wait to make any modding decisions until the new version is released, so that we can have a final prototype of the map that everyone can agree upon before beginning. Also, there doesn't have to be flux available at every embark site - not every fortress should have access to steel (although that is ultimately up to the participant).

I think the ten day turn limit will turn out better than the seven day, since it ensures that each player will have at least one whole weekend. It is true that most people will have to wait months until their turn comes around (which would still be the case if the turn length was shortened), but we should not shy away from the scope of this project. It requires, by its very nature, a relatively long-term and large-scale effort. It would be better, I think, if people were allowed enough time to finish a turn without feeling rushed.

Good point. I vote for the latter option (remove MAXAGE tag from sentient species after worldgen), since that seems to be the simplest workaround.
What about named animals and pets? May as well be thorough.

You're right - we don't want every dwarf's pet dying of old age at the edge of the map, which instantly throws the entire migrant wave into a tantrum spiral.

I could totally go on a night creature spotting rampage. I assume I would have to leave them alive for other gung ho adventurers to !!SCIENCE!! the crap out of them?
Well, I don't think you're going to be passing along your post-adventure file, so you should be fine if you "accidentally" lop off a few Night Creature Child heads.
Nah dude, I totally want an epic travelling nature show host companion.
Maybe we could allow every player to introduce 1 adventurer per turn (should they have time to devote to it after finishing their fortress), but limit the number of allowed notable kills to 5; so they can train their skills, gear up, and kill just enough to earn themselves a title. Odds are most of what they kill will be low-life bandits, goblin raiders, and kobold thieves; which are extremely common, especially in a large world like this.

Letting each participant have one adventurer per turn would be great, so long as it doesn't spoil the game for the next adventurer. Five notable kills is probably a good limit, since it allows the players plenty of opportunities for death/glory, but doesn't cut very deep into the world's quests. Also, with these limits in place, there's no reason why we would have to restrict the peasant/hero/demigod option.

Have we discussed making elves/goblins/humans/(god forbid, kobolds) playable as an alternative to dwarves? It would require a minimal amount of modding, and the world might be made richer by those who wish to contribute a non-dwarf site.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2012, 07:42:33 pm »

There are a lot of good ideas being thrown out, but I think the time has come to begin codifying the various points which we have been discussing.

Concerning the issue of flux, we should wait to make any modding decisions until the new version is released, so that we can have a final prototype of the map that everyone can agree upon before beginning. Also, there doesn't have to be flux available at every embark site - not every fortress should have access to steel (although that is ultimately up to the participant).

I think the ten day turn limit will turn out better than the seven day, since it ensures that each player will have at least one whole weekend. It is true that most people will have to wait months until their turn comes around (which would still be the case if the turn length was shortened), but we should not shy away from the scope of this project. It requires, by its very nature, a relatively long-term and large-scale effort. It would be better, I think, if people were allowed enough time to finish a turn without feeling rushed.

Good point. I vote for the latter option (remove MAXAGE tag from sentient species after worldgen), since that seems to be the simplest workaround.
What about named animals and pets? May as well be thorough.

You're right - we don't want every dwarf's pet dying of old age at the edge of the map, which instantly throws the entire migrant wave into a tantrum spiral.

I could totally go on a night creature spotting rampage. I assume I would have to leave them alive for other gung ho adventurers to !!SCIENCE!! the crap out of them?
Well, I don't think you're going to be passing along your post-adventure file, so you should be fine if you "accidentally" lop off a few Night Creature Child heads.
Nah dude, I totally want an epic travelling nature show host companion.
Maybe we could allow every player to introduce 1 adventurer per turn (should they have time to devote to it after finishing their fortress), but limit the number of allowed notable kills to 5; so they can train their skills, gear up, and kill just enough to earn themselves a title. Odds are most of what they kill will be low-life bandits, goblin raiders, and kobold thieves; which are extremely common, especially in a large world like this.

Letting each participant have one adventurer per turn would be great, so long as it doesn't spoil the game for the next adventurer. Five notable kills is probably a good limit, since it allows the players plenty of opportunities for death/glory, but doesn't cut very deep into the world's quests. Also, with these limits in place, there's no reason why we would have to restrict the peasant/hero/demigod option.

Have we discussed making elves/goblins/humans/(god forbid, kobolds) playable as an alternative to dwarves? It would require a minimal amount of modding, and the world might be made richer by those who wish to contribute a non-dwarf site.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »

Are the adventurers going to be part of the world itself (i.e. will they be uploaded at the end of someone's turn)? I thought that people would just download the map and adventure the hell out of it without affecting the world people are building on.
*insert witty signature here*

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »

Well, I know what my fort will be like...
But I have three questions...
1: Levers can be activated in Adventure Mode, Right?
2: If I contain many dwarves behind a floodgate, will they get out if the site is reloaded?
3: How do you use DFhack and the Mode option to make your fort a settlement?
I did some testing to answer these questions, and got the following results.
1. Yes, they are activated with the u key.
2. Yes, they will get out and be scattered, etc.
3. Change to modes 1 and 1. Hit escape and give in to starvation. The ares will be treated like a settlement (you can retire) but dwarves will wander and items will scatter as if they were abandoned.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »

^ What if you were to convert the fortress to a lair/turn off item scattering beforehand? Would that stop people from teleporting around as well?
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54