Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64198 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2012, 08:22:53 am »

yeah, some ideas for a quick but worthy end should be posted here. Then again, if a fort survives long enough (>10 years) it's worthy to stay and you could make it persistent with the DFort exploit.
I plan to end my fort the stupid really stupid dwarven way. Accidentally flood the sleeping quarters with magma Sock related tantrum spiral!
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2012, 08:25:30 am »

i could spend all ten days of my turn setting up some sort of civilian drowning/magma-ing chamber to cause said spiral.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:51 am »

And here I was hoping to get more than one turn out by the end of this (so many ideas).

Still messing around with the world map, I'm quite satisfied with what I see so far.
Some pointless observations:
-The first thing you see when you go to embark is "Brook: Screamslaughter" :D
-Yeah, there are weird pockets of scorching and freezing air all over the place, hot areas bordering cold ones, etc. Don't know what's up with that; a side effect of Perfect World? Other than that, the temperature zones seem pretty fitting.
damn, no warm evil deserts :(
You're in luck, that desert happens to be surprisingly hot for where it is.
-The civilization sites don't seem very spread out in adventure mode. Did you remember to turn off the pop/site cap? Or does the world need more civs+baking time?
-There are plenty of great cliffs around, kudos.
-Turns out there IS sand in the wastelands, you just have to look for it. There's definitely some factor controlling the amount of sand, drainage maybe?
-Honestly, I think I prefer my desert embarks relatively flat. Extreme cliffs in some places would be neat though.
-On an 80 z-level flatland embark, the first cave was 17 z's down, the second nearby at 23 (with a magma tube), magma sea at 50, and a whole 25 layers between there and the HFS. Half of the areas seem to be short on flux and sedimentary layers, because of the high volcanicity, ruining otherwise perfect embark opportunities (although the gratuitous veins of gold on the surface were a pleasant surprise).
-Found a really interesting embark. In a lake valley, with a temperate forest peninsula separated from a 30 story rock wall by 13 spaces of lake. The cliff at the top is in the shape of a near-perfect square (tempting to install an artificial waterfall up there).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As a high elevation embark, there are about 25 Z-levels till the magma sea (in retrospect, less Z-levels is a good thing, since we'll be working under a time limit). It even has sand, flux, magma tube, and an upright adamantine sword (curious underground structure). There was an aquifer apparently, but I never saw it where I was diggin. In the next version, I imagine dumping bodies in the evil lake would allow them to later emerge as zombies.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:14:56 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:56 am »

Concerning the end of a fortress, should the end always be demise? I know this is an incomprehensible a strange question, but in case the 10th day limit is reached and the fortress is still thriving, would simply abandoning it be acceptable?
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

^ Well, yeah. You're free to leave the fortress however you want. Whether it be by goblin siege, abandonment, breaching the HFS, DFhack'ing it into a permanent site, flooding the halls with monsters/water/magma, murdering and zombifying everyone, driving all the surviving inhabitants insane, turning all the inhabitants into were-beasts, etc.

You're allowed to use DFusion to turn off item scattering as well, if you so choose.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »

Added to the list. We now have 31 (potential) fortresses to plunder!
And probably over two centuries of dwarven history to write.

Where's the list?

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »

This seems amazing.
/in please!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2012, 01:39:17 pm »

Added to the list. We now have 31 (potential) fortresses to plunder!
And probably over two centuries of dwarven history to write.

Where's the list?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note my nice number :D

Also, after reading some TV Tropes some days ago, I realised the desing for my fort had some things in common with the Tomb of Horrors

We'll see if I go through with those ideas.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:15 pm »

That list is sufficiently horrible :D

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

With the list getting so long, maybe 2 worlds should run in parallel (the same world even) running to exactly the same deadlines, competing for the most glorious demise.  The differences between them could even be studied as !!science!!    350 days is going to be a long time to wait now.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »

It is  forum gigaproject. You can wait a few years to be allowed to take part in a gigaproject.

Easy for me to say, only ~80 days to wait...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:45 pm »

Ah, I get it now. Sandy deserts are that way because they have low drainage and low rainfall, as opposed to rocky's which have moderate drainage and low rainfall, and badlands which have high drainage and low rainfall. Low drainage areas are sandy, while high drainage areas are rich in soil (and medium clay). Now why isn't this on the wiki?

Something just dawned on me. If our turns drive our save more than 100 years beyond the starting date (which they will), everything in the world is going to die out from old age at some point. We're going to have to either limit the length of each player's turn, or get rid of the MAXAGE tags (after world-gen, for history's sake). I'm leaning towards the latter, since, given the relatively short reigns, I doubt it would have a noticeable impact on a player's turn.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:26:34 pm by Spish »

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2012, 04:15:09 pm »

Something just dawned on me. If our turns drive our save more than 100 years beyond the starting date (which they will), everything in the world is going to die out from old age at some point. We're going to have to either limit the length of each player's turn, or get rid of the MAXAGE tags (after world-gen, for history's sake). I'm leaning towards the latter, since, given the relatively short reigns, it's not like that would affect anyone's gameplay experience too much.

Good point. I vote for the latter option (remove MAXAGE tag from sentient species after worldgen), since that seems to be the simplest workaround.

Some other people have noted the relatively long waiting time for people at the end of the list. It's a long haul, to be sure. Hopefully, we can speed things along by having an active management who seeks out people when their turn is approaching (a week or two in advance, to be safe), to minimize non-productive downtime. Also, if people finish their turn before the 10 days are up, they should be allowed to turn in the save ahead of time.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:20 pm »

hey guys, don't forget me!  :D I'm still here and willing to participate!
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

I think I'd suggest either two worlds to make the list shorter (suggested a couple pages back) or shorter turns. As the list stands now, the game will literally span nine months.

But also, I'm not in charge, so do whatever you think is best.
*insert witty signature here*
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54