Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64115 times)

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »

While somewhat unrelated to the topic being discussed right now, I think it would be pretty cool if people running the fortresses would write up some sort of local lore surrounding the fortress, surrounding area, etc. I'll probably end up doing that even if anyone else doesn't.

Just something to consider. :3
*insert witty signature here*

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2012, 09:42:01 pm »

people have mentioned how these ideas often die when someone takes the save, then drops off the face of the earth.
how's bout a rule along the lines of "If ya miss the deadline by more than 2 days, the next guy just grabs a copy of the save you got and you get skipped"

eh?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2012, 09:47:22 pm »

people have mentioned how these ideas often die when someone takes the save, then drops off the face of the earth.
how's bout a rule along the lines of "If ya miss the deadline by more than 2 days, the next guy just grabs a copy of the save you got and you get skipped"

eh?

Sounds good, unless the person in question has a very good excuse.

How about I (or anyone, really) start a running list of all the notions, potential rules, and rules we come up with here?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:05 pm »

eh?

How about I (or anyone, really) start a running list of all the notions, potential rules, and rules we come up with here?

Having a codified set of rules that everyone agrees on before we begin seems like a very good idea.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »

eh?
I agree completely. It will be vital to ensure the entire project doesn't get hung up when someone disappears mid-turn. We'll need rules on that to be set in stone, and not too flexible.

Also need some way to ascertain that it is always clear whose turn it is, and the state of their turn. Anyone have experience with that, as well as time?

eh?
I'd be willing to manage the community thread, as well as maintain a catalog of the various forts, available as a sort of "adventurer's guide." It seems like there are many people who have already showed leadership and initiative in this thread, any of whom would, I'm sure, keep things well organized. Personally, I have no experience with community games, although that would not be a huge issue, I think.

Ultimately, it makes no real difference to me who runs the thread, so long as this remains a truly communal effort. Whoever does run the thread should be willing to stick with it, as this is shaping up to be a monumental project that will take, at the very least, months.

First off, I think DS would be a prime candidate for the tour guide writing. And I agree that it would help if each person who built a fort added a spiel about the history of the fort, If only to make DS's prospective job easier.

While leadership shouldn't be too centralized, I think it would help if people had different roles which somewhat overlapped.

eh?

That would be great. I've got a list in mind myself:

roles:

-The tour guide writer:
                   current possible candidates: DS
            -The players (self explanitory)

-The negotiator:
                (for changes in rules, accepting excuses for tardiness etc. also keeps up with peoples turns)
                   current possible candidates: Girlinhat, Eric Blank
            -The list updater
                (keeps track of peoples turns and edits the lists of rules and turns to keep them all up to date.)
                (overlaps heavily with negotiator.)
                   current possible candidates: clockout1, Cellmonk, Eric Blank (maybe)

Am I missing some roles? And can a forum post be made editable by multiple people? That would allow for the lists to be updated by multiple people, as to avoid backlag.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:12:51 pm by Cellmonk »

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:34 pm »

That would be great. I've got a list in mind myself:

roles:

-The tour guide writer:
                   current possible candidates: DS
            -The players (self explanitory)
            -The negotiator:
                (for changes in rules, accepting excuses for tardiness etc. also keeps up with peoples turns)
                   current possible candidates: Girlinhat
            -The list updater
                (keeps track of peoples turns and edits the lists of rules and turns to keep them all up to date.)
                (overlaps heavily with negotiator.)
                   current possible candidates: clockout1, Cellmonk (maybe)

Am I missing some roles? And can a forum post be made editable by multiple people? That would allow for the lists to be updated by multiple people, as to avoid backlag.

Roles look good to me, but I might not be able to participate as a lead role- I've got midterms next week, so the frantic last-minute studying period has begun. I guess it depends on how soon we start. I'll definitely manage a fort at some point though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:21:30 pm by clockout1 »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:15 pm »

I'd be pretty sweet at managing and enforcing the turn/fortress list, seeing as I already have the OCD habit of checking the forums every two hours and prodding quiet hosts. I also regularly check the saves of community forts I'm involved with. I'm too lazy to handle the threadmaking and write-up myself, though.

I can think of a few rules:
-No killing civilization leaders, ever (goblin leaders being a possible exception), they can never be replaced. May need to ban mountainhome-ing, to prevent the dwarf royalty from inevitably dying as a result.
-Avoid killing goblin generals if you can help it. The moment they die is the moment their cronies stop sending mounted sieges, which means less fun for future players should they settle on the same turf.
-No tampering with RAWs unless specifically authorized by the community council. And if you do, make sure all changes are undone by the end of your turn.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:10:06 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2012, 10:28:23 pm »

eh?

That was discussed earlier but didn't come to a conclusion. Hmm... We could wait 2 before you're skipped, but if you show up within 4 you can have the next turn after the player(s) who took their turn(s) in your stead. It's still fair for everyone that comes after you, I suppose, since in the end they wouldn't have their turns bumped forward or backward. You'd just be switching the order around a bit.

So the max turn length? I would think 10 days is a fair length of time. If your fort isn't dead by then it might as well become a permanent world power through use of DFhack.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:31:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:15 pm »

So the max turn length? I would think 10 days is a fair length of time. If your fort isn't dead by then it might as well become a permanent world power through use of DFhack.

10 days seems like a good length to me. It is certain to include a weekend or two, which helps with mine, and likely quite a few people's schedules.

You can make a place a permanent power with DFhack?! That's awesome! how do I do that?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »

You can make a place a permanent power with DFhack?! That's awesome! how do I do that?

You use DFhack's dfmode (dflair is also important to prevent item scattering. So much clutter...) and Rumrusher's instructions.

Use the second set of instructions after that first group of ten. There's only 3 easy steps and it makes much more sense.

Also, we should probably finish agreeing on a world before moving on to game management, since we're a little farther along in that regards.

- What cavern settings are preferable? As in, cavern water, openness, and passage density. Openness and passage density somewhat conflict with one-another. I would suggest, though, forcing 100% openness and 0-50% passage density, which will provide some nice relatively open, tall cavern spaces. For water, I would highly suggest leaving it at 0-100.     Thoughts?

- Do we want extra layers in-between cavern/magma sea levels? I like 3-4 layers in-between each one, especially above the magma sea, simply for more building space.

- How many megabeasts and titans would we like? Exceptionally high sounds like a fun road to travel on...

Remember to vote on mineral scarcity, or you might just have to suck it up for whatever the rest of us want. Read this post if you missed it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:54:34 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:18 pm »

I'd say having cavern wetness on the low end of 0-50, as for openness, I'm not picky.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2012, 11:22:28 pm »

You use DFhack's dfmode (dflair is also important to prevent item scattering. So much clutter...) and Rumrusher's instructions.

I am trying to do that one a test fort. I put in the command "mode" and if gives me back both my game type and game mode. It doesn't give any instruction on how to actually tell it to change mode. In fact I couldn't find any instruction on that anywhere. Not the manual, not in rumrusher's instructions, not in any of my searches.

On a less frustrated note, I think we should have many megabeasts. Each fort could get 3-4 of them in the timeframe of 7 years, say, meaning that even thirty beasts could run out after many games.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »

I am trying to do that one a test fort. I put in the command "mode" and if gives me back both my game type and game mode. It doesn't give any instruction on how to actually tell it to change mode. In fact I couldn't find any instruction on that anywhere. Not the manual, not in rumrusher's instructions, not in any of my searches.

On a less frustrated note, I think we should have many megabeasts. Each fort could get 3-4 of them in the timeframe of 7 years, say, meaning that even thirty beasts could run out after many games.

The command is "mode set." I had that same problem.

Also, I'm in favor of a very high number of megabeasts. I think a 0-100 setting for water is great, since that will result in a greater variety of cavescapes.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2012, 11:36:26 pm »

I vote set Megabeast number to 10000, Demons to 10000 and Night Creatures to 10000. And megabeast caves to 200.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:34 pm »

^ Let's not get carried away. Don't forget that beasts slaughter notable figures with impunity, and can even wipe out entire civilizations in large numbers. I say 50 titans, 60 megas, 75 night creatures, 100 demons, and 200+ semimegas, and see how many people are left alive after worldgen before we pass judgement.

As for cave settings, I don't see why we should change them. More variety is always a good thing.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54