Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64059 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »

I think we're still discussing, but we're about ready to move on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »

I think we're still discussing, but we're about ready to move on.

Be sure to link the thread when it's made... Whoever ;P

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »

I love this.  I was part of the last attempt to make a populated world (Fill up the World) and really enjoyed it. 

Are we going to wait for the next version to come out, or will we get started right away?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »

I vote to wait, and explore the new version with innocent, virgin eyes and untrained picks.  The number of dead fortresses to new threats shall be hilarious.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

I vote to start right away, since there's no guarantee that the new version will be out soon.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »

I vote to wait, and explore the new version with innocent, virgin eyes and untrained picks.  The number of dead fortresses to new threats shall be hilarious.

That sounds great. :D
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 07:38:58 pm »

Toady said middle-end of the month, so it should be very soon.  If it's not, then we could go ahead.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 07:43:29 pm »

Toady said middle-end of the month, so it should be very soon.  If it's not, then we could go ahead.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

About bins and item scatter - we definitely don't want freebie bins.  But could we mod in bins made from rock?  If dwarfs can make and carry rock pots and rock chests and rock cabinets they ought to be able to make rock bins. I mean, bins = chests. They're the same thing. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 07:46:38 pm »

So we should wait?

It doesn't matter to me either way, and I've got midterms soon so I probably wouldn't participate for a few weeks anyway.
*insert witty signature here*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 07:49:37 pm »

I vote wait.

And, lead bins are stationary.  Lead is cheap.  Buy some galena off the second caravan and you've got stationary bins.

Of course, a lot of us seem to like the idea of using DFHack to not abandon.  If we utilize this, then we could leave the fort exactly as it was without abandoning at all.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »

I have to say if i intend to embark on the same site again i WILL use DFLair to prevent item scatter. It doesn't add anything to the game other than irritating cleanup. If hating tidy-work makes me a cheater then i cheat! At life!...i am a lazy lazy slob.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »

Usually when I reclaim, I treat it as a new fort.  Bring the usual supplies with you, and set up the usual industry.  Then start to reclaim items.  Don't think that you instantly need to stockpile everything.  Find your weapons and armor, maybe, but the rest can wait.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »

I'm in favor of as little modding as possible, in order to ensure easy compatability, but also to preserve the experience of all the new features. Display cases should be included, as well as minor changes to the raws - fixing the DM problem, for example. Altering material properties, or allowing free reactions will greatly alter the validity of the world as a collection of true fortresses.

The use of certain utilities - DFHack and Runesmith, mainly - should be restricted, except in specific, predetermined situations.

Some choices - such as mineral scarcity and world size - should be put up to a vote.

I'm pretty sure that choosing between a graphics pack or ASCII isn't necessary - if we just exchange the save file, participants should be able to use whatever graphics they wish.

Let's get all of these aspects hammered out before the new version is released, and then we can make the thread in the community forum and begin sign-ups.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »

World size is going to be large, we know this already.

A VOTE!  Mineral scarcity: Many resources, or Few resources?

Many: We get to play around with all our stuff and focus more on building.
Few: We get tougher fights and perhaps more flavored forts as they experience more hardship.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

I would say fewer resources, if only because it will increase the chances of a fortress meeting it's end sooner.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54