Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64032 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #735 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:01 am »

^ You shoulda aborted any worlds that were different then :P
But I agree with #4.

If you want, I could take over from here (now that I gots the PW map and plenty of time to mess around with it). Not right now though, too sleepy. A slight altering of the history seed and a slight boost to the civ numbers allowed humans to appear in the top right without affecting too much.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:04:33 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:00 pm »

Yeah, I tried regenerating #4 in 34.03 this time, still different. It's probably because I don't have the raws.

On a side note, all that post abandonment testing I did in 31.25 was for naught. In DF2012, NPCs don't even acknowledge meeting halls, even in DFmode'd fortresses. They just stand around doing absolutely nothing, mostly scattered outdoors.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #737 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »

This may already have been mentioned, but in the latest version there is the notes feature on the world screen, when embarking. This could be used to document forts.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »

You mean the notes that can be placed while looking for an embark site? Those have always been there to my knowledge. We CAN use them, but it would require players write up notes on the forts of players before them, before they themselves have embarked, because unless you embark and save the game, DF will forget the notes you make. We should probably use the second post in the primary thread for summaries of forts by linking to posts from the creator describing them. We could do the same for information on the world like bestiaries of the night creatures and HFS.

I don't think this voting on seeds concept is working out so well, for whatever reason. If we can't gaurantee their reproduction, then there's not much use to it. We can agree on a couple things though:

- Do we demand the northern ocean be good or evil?
- Anything else that really affects gameplay?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »

I'm sure you can regenerate them yourself without any problems. Have you tried?

Northern ocean must be good. Add a few civs and tweak the history seed so we also get humans in the far northeast. Use the name seed to get the most fitting world/continent name you can, with at least one awesome dwarf civilization. Not much else I can ask that wouldn't require me to take over world generation myself; just try to get a compelling, varied landscape with plenty of neat areas that stand out (at least on the level of examples 4 and 5).

v We've got two oceans. The other one is a small, arctic ocean way at the southern end of the map (in goblinville, so it's only fitting that it be evil).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:48:43 pm by Spish »

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:58 pm »

If we only have the one ocean, I'd prefer good over evil.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:09 pm »

I agree. Good oceans mean more water-related megaprojects.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I stopped the gen right there to count the necromancer towers throughout the world, because I knew of at least 4 others. The sites and pops file reveals a grand total of 19 :o

They're all centered around that cluster, though, with one in the far north-west corner, one on the bigger island, and a few East of the central mountain passes, and the remainder in the valley near those ones.

Unfortunately there are no humies in either the north-east or west corners. Not much going on up north it seems. I'm storing this seed though because that number of towers is pretty impressive. I'll keep trying.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 01, 2012, 02:00:03 am »

In my experience, the location of necromancer towers seems to be totally random. If you regen a world, they will always be set up in different places, regardless of the History Seed.

Did you add about 4 civs? Don't worry about the northwest, they don't settle there.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:22:38 am by Spish »

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:21 am »

i demand nothing.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »

Ok, I've successfully produced a world with the desired traits and modifications, and 216 years of history (and my processor wept...)

Spish was right that the towers didn't clump together again, but they're still concentrated in the valley because they're spawn of the civs there. Not to say there aren't plent more in the mountains around the valley, though. There are actaully 28 of them this time. Histories of disturbed dead, I presume? :o

I'll do the post-generation changes and upload the save. Somebody want to start a thread? The OP will probably need 4-5 posts to contain lists of various sorts...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:01:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #746 on: March 01, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »

Any takers? Pointdex? :P

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 01, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »

Any takers? Pointdex? :P
unless someone else does it first, I'll jump on it when i get back home to a faster PC.

also, only one T, it's just poindexter.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 01, 2012, 04:49:58 pm »

Here's the save!
I'm sorry that the file size is already massive. We'll have to find a new host at some point...

I disabled the maxage tag on every creature to ensure the world isn't devoid of all life within 60 years. :P

The good news for me? If there aren't any issues that were blatantly overlooked (I have no pitty for you if you didn't partake in the bug testing!) then I can finally stop generating worlds every half hour and PLAY df2012! :D
I make Spellcrafts!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:48 pm »

I gotta give you mad props dude. The world turned out great, it even has awesome names like "The Mirthful Lizard-Crab.' :D
From what I've seen of it in adventure mode, it loads fast enough, it runs a lot better than the prototypes, and the countryside is very compelling so far. Here's to hoping it doesn't get bulldozed by a compatibility update any time soon.

I couldn't help but notice that dwarves of "The Furnaces of Society" control a few Dark Fortresses as well. And I talked to someone in the Kingdom of Cooperation to find that their ruler is a goblin and that their capital is the Dark Fortress Lulledseduces :o (and it's right next to the huge concentration of Necromancer Towers)
I also noticed that since history is hidden, we can look at the gods and goddesses a lot more easily without all those boring, dead people in the way; very nice.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:46:31 pm by Spish »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54