Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64048 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #720 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:49 am »

Well, they will, yes. Didn't consider player-built fortresses :P
The animals still all die on abandonment though, right?

Speaking of player-made, I wouldn't be surprised if your multi-legendary hardcore lasher-gobs will show up ambushing adventurers/sieging fortresses. And that could be terrifying! And Fun! :o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »

Honestly, it's much easier to make a compelling goblin fortress by simply succumbing to a siege; you don't have to worry about training soldiers or anything :P
And in that case, all the sieging "pets" are historical; therefore staying when the fortress dies. Got murdered by gobtrolls at the last dead fortress I visited.

I hope the NPCs still gather at meeting halls in this version (early tests seem to indicate this is not the case). In the fortress where I first discovered this, the random AI made it seem like the goblins were attacking me in waves. It was just a constant battle to get to the meeting hall (and when I finally did reach it, there were 8 gobbo soldiers and their lords waiting for me). Really fun stuff. Theoretically, you could control how enemies disperse through the fortress by creating meeting hall zones all over the place (making multiple overlapping zones to increase NPC density).

Oi Blank, I suggested raising the population of Sea Serpents/Monsters (which is normally 1 per ocean) pre-worldgen so they don't go extinct after one fortress. How about it?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:49:02 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 28, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »

Oi Blank, I suggested raising the population of Sea Serpents/Monsters (which is normally 1 per ocean) pre-worldgen so they don't go extinct after one fortress. How about it?

Sounds like a good plan!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

I finally discovered this thread yesterday and just finished reading the whole thing.  Please add me to the list. It looks like my turn would come up in mid-May of 2013, just in time for my birthday. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

so hey, now that 34.03 is out, yall wanna get started?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

YESSSSSSSSSssssssss

I'll gen a world, and see how it turns out. Hopefully we won't be missing anything to complete adventure mode.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

I seem to recall recent notes that items can be taken out of cabinets (again?)
Are we still going to be using the display case mod?
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »

Nah, it got scrapped due to being awkwardly useless. :-\
I make Spellcrafts!

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:12 pm »

No complaints from me.
I usually have no idea where my artifacts end up, anyhow. >.>
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »

I hear there are other ways to make artifacts retrievable, like building them into weapon traps and collapsing the floor beneath them.

Did you lower the number of layers between caverns? We want to be able to get as much done as possible in our limited runs, especially if it involves magma.

Anyway, I say generate 5 short-history worlds (with good sea on top), and we pick the seeds that look the best from those. Then we abuse name seeds to get the world with the best name (and best dwarf civilization, if we're going with the idea where we pick one civ per race)

By the way, is it possible to mod in/out interactions post-generation?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:14:41 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 28, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »

I lowered distances between caverns to 1 again. Sorry about that.

I might test adding and subtracting interactions. I don't think big things like secrets would be removable because creatures and items (books/slabs) may be dependent on them, and likewise couldn't necessarily be added because they wouldn't show up anywhere. Actually, I doubt any interactions besides giving a creature a new power can be added post-generation. We could add a couple dozen numbered but blank interaction IDs, though?

It might take an hour or so before I can generate ANY world, because I still need to update the information for the mods. I've successfully overcome the problem with the duplicate creatures; the creature_Sentientification.txt needed to be changed to creature_Xtra_Sentientification.txt so that it is the last creature file the game loads. Problem solved! It'll take a while to update the rest of the raws, though.

Alright, there are no more errors in the error log, and we're in need of exactly nothing according to my understanding. Some new interactions might be cool, I guess... If we want to test seeds, then that can wait maybe until tomorrow for a decision.

Ok guys, try these worlds

You can generate them yourselves* or judge them based on the pictures and site+pop files. The oldest one is only 27, though, so don't feel bad if they're unimpressive.

*because uploading 5 full world files wastes time... and DF crashed if I tried to save the world after exporting information and I'm too lazy to generate them all over again
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:13:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »

List has been updated.
If everyone could please check the list to make sure they are on it and in the correct place, that would be awesome
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:55 am »

As far as which world do i like...
I'll go with whatever the group decides, I'm just dying to go.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:34 am »

#5, definately. The most varied by far, and has some really neat features. I also see you made some improvements to the PW map, and humans now appear on the island continent. Good stuff. Although the humans that used to appear in the top right are gone, leaving a big emptiness there.

Runner-up #4. Because its the best out of the first 4, looks a bit prettier than the fifth, and the thought of our humble tropical island fortresses being besieged by zombie whales and zombie sea monsters (ala #5) is a bit much. (but as we know, not all evil regions do that)

Shall we hide history in the final version for us/the adventurers to discover themselves? Could be fun having only the player-impacted events be visible, but at the same time, players have the option of hiding history in d_init as well. Culling unimportant historical figures doesn't really affect anyone (especially with history hidden), so that's a definate yes. What about caves?

Edit: I regenned your world and the regions turned out quite a bit different. Different raws, different version perhaps?
I really like some of the names in this one. The Past Dimension, The Vanishing Continent, The Faded Plains, The Fresh Island, The Hill of Hell, the Pond of Pondering, The Innocent Waters, The Gory Sludge, The Angry Ice.
Edit2: And the ocean has evil rain that causes total blistering and suffocation, evil husk mist, AND reanimates the dead. :o No way adventurers are swimming across that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:34:35 am by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:22 am »

I would vote #4, or at least a world where that northern ocean isn't evil. Skeletal sea serpents can't be tamed, you know. :-\
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54