Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64297 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #375 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:40 am »

EDIT: whoops.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:14:31 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 21, 2012, 01:50:34 am »

Thanks for the heads up. Knew I forgot something.

Turns out there are exactly 11 kobolds left in this world, all in bandit camps. Talk about an endangered species...

I'll try to solve that issue as well as some others I've found.

Anything else blatantly obvious?

Playing as an elf is quite strange. You can activate mining, but not embark with a pick or metal or stone... same with woodcutting- no axes to embark with. :(

Also, I cannot form a military (yet?) ! D:

Well, the first part is pretty normal, considering they're elves and they really hate the idea of chopping up wood, or nature forbid the ground itself. I suppose I could open up the heretical route so you can damn your fellow elves to hell, then dig a pit to it. Currently trying to open up "elven" routes to obtaining the wood they use for freaking everything, so I added a "giving tree" workshop that basically appears to be a feather tree with massvie roots, and a reaction that uses the tree to gather feather wood logs. Thoughts? Should it be useable for creating any number of other wooden items?

However, I had intended for the Ranger Captain position to become the 'militia commander' of the elves. Giving it another go with a separate player-only military structure. What should your personal military and military leaders be called, anyway? Ranger captain and rangers would be a little redundant, but it seems fitting, still.

[spoiler]Rule #1: A single turn lasts 10 days, beginning the day after the previous save has been made available.
   a) A participant must publicly announce that they have downloaded the save within two days of the beginning of their turn, or their turn is delayed. The participant has the opportunity to take their turn one place later in line, but if they fail to check-in for their delayed turn, they are skipped.
   b) A participant must upload the save and submit a completed turn survey (see Rule #5) within two days of the end of their turn, or they are skipped. The participant goes to the end of the line, unless they produce the save before the next participant in line announces they have begun.
   c) If a participant is experiencing extenuating circumstances which render them unable to begin or complete their turn, they may be eligible to have their turn delayed, so long as the situation is addressed in advance, and not during their turn.

Rule #2: A participant must add to the world 1 fortress.
   a) Becoming the Mountainhome is prohibited.
   b) Killing of generals, necromancers, titans, civilization leaders, and other notable historical figures is discouraged.
   c) A participant must publicly announce when the fortress crumbles or is otherwise "complete."
   d) If the participant so chooses, they may add to the world an elven forest retreat, a goblin tower, or a human town instead of a dwarf fortress. All the rules apply normally to these sites.

I'll try to get temperatures reigned in. Better escape artist than a monkey with a taste for human flesh.

Also, for the rules

rule 1, a) might be best to clarify how late they can show up for their turn to be delayed. Within three days of their being skipped seems reasonable (5 days after their own turn was supposed to begin.)

For rule 2, d) You should add kobold camp/cave to the list of possibilities. I'm still trying to get them to show up on the site selection-[civ] screen, but it should be doable.
I think it's just that they don't have a defined language (utterances doesn't count as far as the game is concerned.) I already have a language available from one of my mods that is made for kobolds/cobalds, so that's a no-brainer.

Jreengus occurs!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:52:31 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2012, 05:13:03 am »

24 hours with no replies? Time to forget about this?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:46 am »

Of course not! We're just waiting for the release so we can get started.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 22, 2012, 05:50:21 am »

Precisely this.  I think the rules are pretty well hammered out.  Unless there are any that people are currently disagreeing on?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #380 on: January 22, 2012, 05:56:26 am »

Well, the first part is pretty normal, considering they're elves and they really hate the idea of chopping up wood, or nature forbid the ground itself. I suppose I could open up the heretical route so you can damn your fellow elves to hell, then dig a pit to it. Currently trying to open up "elven" routes to obtaining the wood they use for freaking everything, so I added a "giving tree" workshop that basically appears to be a feather tree with massvie roots, and a reaction that uses the tree to gather feather wood logs. Thoughts? Should it be useable for creating any number of other wooden items?

However, I had intended for the Ranger Captain position to become the 'militia commander' of the elves. Giving it another go with a separate player-only military structure. What should your personal military and military leaders be called, anyway? Ranger captain and rangers would be a little redundant, but it seems fitting, still.

Allow them to use picks (set as digger and weapon) and at least one type of axe. Also, the reactions to produce low grade metals. Unless we're going to have PROPER Elves.

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 22, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »

Yes, exactly, just waiting.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »

Good call, Eric. I've added in the clarification about arriving in time to reclaim a delayed turn, as well as kobolds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am in favor of incorporating a "giving tree" workshop for elves, instead of allowing them to cut wood or mine. It explains how they have access to so much damn wood while still preserving the "respect for nature" angle. If someone wants to dig to hell and smelt steel, they should be making a dwarf fortress, not an elven forest retreat.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »

Hm... I think giving them woodcutting, mining, and basic no-reaction metalworking could be acceptable. Playing as a cult of heretics trying to escape the civ's norms is a likely choice for players doing anything besides a dwarf fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »

I am in favor of incorporating a "giving tree" workshop for elves, instead of allowing them to cut wood or mine. It explains how they have access to so much damn wood while still preserving the "respect for nature" angle. If someone wants to dig to hell and smelt steel, they should be making a dwarf fortress, not an elven forest retreat.
I put in a vote for this. 
How will it work though?  Will it periodically produce wood on its own or will there have to be an elf working at it constantly?  Will they need some type of material to activate the reaction?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #385 on: January 22, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »

I'd say a 1x1 workshop that has the tree tile that "grows" crafts, weapons e.t.c. would work nicely.

...Pain to put in the reactions though.

What about a tree that just gives you free logs to generally mess around with?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 22, 2012, 05:25:04 pm »

This, precisely. The elves would then have essentially unlimited access to wood, balanced by their ignorance of metal processing.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

Some notes on playing as a goblin and elven civ;

1. Trolls are too cheap. Good to use for trapping and taking down enemies. When embarking as elves, I had the option to bring some cool animals, but the only average ones I saw were Ducks. I brought a breeding pair of badgers, but they couldn't become pets. Also, a wild badger stole a lizard from an animal trap, yet nobody did anything about it.

2. Goblin Messengers are annoying- they come every season, talk about trading, and then never bring traders! Probably because goblins have no access to pack animals. Turning trolls into beasts of burden may fix this.

3. Having citizens that don't have to eat or drink takes away some of the challenge of the game. They need more sustenance or specialization... if you could add such a thing while staying within "canon" Dwarf Fortress, such as how elves attain wood, then that would be nice.

4. Is there a way to change their preferences for engraving, likes/dislikes, etc.? I find it strange how they like things that may seem very Dwarfy, but perhaps that's just me.

...and I can already imagine playing a Kobold Camp once the army arc is done. :)
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »

I'd like in - I don't care about waiting a year(more time to explore new features).
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

You've been added to the turn list, ab00. :D

This, precisely. The elves would then have essentially unlimited access to wood, balanced by their ignorance of metal processing.

And that's exactly what it does at the moment. You can construct them with any species of logs, but they appear to be feather trees and produce only feather tree wood. They're a 3x3 workshop with the tree in the center, being an impassable tile, and the other 8 tiles appear to be roots. The elf (who is necessary) stands to the left of that and eventually produces a log. A 25% chance, so it's not that fast, but a legendary herbalist will make it seem unbelievably fast.

Also;

Some notes on playing as a goblin and elven civ;

1. Trolls are too cheap. Good to use for trapping and taking down enemies. When embarking as elves, I had the option to bring some cool animals, but the only average ones I saw were Ducks. I brought a breeding pair of badgers, but they couldn't become pets. Also, a wild badger stole a lizard from an animal trap, yet nobody did anything about it.

2. Goblin Messengers are annoying- they come every season, talk about trading, and then never bring traders! Probably because goblins have no access to pack animals. Turning trolls into beasts of burden may fix this.

3. Having citizens that don't have to eat or drink takes away some of the challenge of the game. They need more sustenance or specialization... if you could add such a thing while staying within "canon" Dwarf Fortress, such as how elves attain wood, then that would be nice.

4. Is there a way to change their preferences for engraving, likes/dislikes, etc.? I find it strange how they like things that may seem very Dwarfy, but perhaps that's just me.

...and I can already imagine playing a Kobold Camp once the army arc is done. :)

1+2; trolls have been made to cost 300☼ untrained, and 600☼ trained. They are also now pack animals. Hope that helps the goblins not bringing caravans. I'm also gonna check other animals to make sure nothing else is free like that, as well.

3; goblins and kobolds need NO_EAT to survive worldgen, but there's no reason we can't just remove those tags afterwards. Good point, and I'll try to remember it.

4; I think there may be a way to change their preferences, but I personally think elves could still have their own favorite stone type or metal, even though it's 'unethical' for them to produce it themselves.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54