Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64027 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 09:52:03 pm »

I've heard that from many people, actually. Never tried though.

On the subject of mods, wanderer's friend could be useful for adventure mode. I use it quite a bit, without the tanmod stuff, though. Changing dragons' growth habits is a grand idea as well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »

I'm absolutely certain that cavern layers will join together.  I usually gen 1 cavern worlds for FPS reasons, and got all the cavern stuff in that one.  I've been doing 2 layers now though, since I realized that uprights only spawn with 2 or 3 layers.  Everything is present and will join together into one super-cavern.

We do NOT need reactions to produce free materials.  This is not a "lol let's godmode some walls" project.  If we wanted easy mode to produce forts, we wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.  No.  If a player wants gold, they better get digging.  Players are using local stone or they're importing.  We are also NOT hacking in free expensive items for loot.  If gold goblets become common in dungeons then what's the point of carrying them at all?  The only ONLY justifiable free resource would be the heat-sensitive stone used to make things deconstruct in theatrical ways.  The only Only ONLY justifiable use of DFHack to place liquids (or, for that matter, the majority of DFHack's utilities) would be to theatrically deconstruct items.  Things like autodumping and especially cheap shit like runesmith genocide is NOT welcome.

This is NOT a sandbox, this IS constructing many, real, hard fortresses in a single world.  We're not just doing this for the hell of watching walls go up.  That also means no speed:0 or no_eat or anything.

I'd also suggest a few tweaks to domestic animals, like changing turkey to [CHILD:2].  This doesn't change their growth rate, but it does make it so that "the poult has become a gobbler" message will appear when the animal is actually at adult size and ready to butcher.  Default has the turkey becoming an adult at 1 year, but fully grown at 2 years, and butchering becomes tricky.  Instead, have it announce their full size for ease of butchering.  Similar for many birds and other relevant animals.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

I'd get in on this, assuming it actually happens.

Especially with the idea of localized lore and such in the form of text documents.
*insert witty signature here*

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »

I'm absolutely certain that cavern layers will join together.  I usually gen 1 cavern worlds for FPS reasons, and got all the cavern stuff in that one.  I've been doing 2 layers now though, since I realized that uprights only spawn with 2 or 3 layers.  Everything is present and will join together into one super-cavern.

This is NOT a sandbox, this IS constructing many, real, hard fortresses in a single world.  We're not just doing this for the hell of watching walls go up.  That also means no speed:0 or no_eat or anything.

I would definitely join this. Sounds like it could be really cool.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »

i might join.

but, really, my forts aren't half as crazy as most of the stories on here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

We do NOT need reactions to produce free materials.  This is not a "lol let's godmode some walls" project.  If we wanted easy mode to produce forts, we wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.  No.  If a player wants gold, they better get digging.  Players are using local stone or they're importing.  We are also NOT hacking in free expensive items for loot.  If gold goblets become common in dungeons then what's the point of carrying them at all?  The only ONLY justifiable free resource would be the heat-sensitive stone used to make things deconstruct in theatrical ways.  The only Only ONLY justifiable use of DFHack to place liquids (or, for that matter, the majority of DFHack's utilities) would be to theatrically deconstruct items.  Things like autodumping and especially cheap shit like runesmith genocide is NOT welcome.

This part of your post right here is getting too hot-headed over a suggestion, especially since this wasn't initially your idea to begin with, it was Poindexterity's. If any community game is going to be moderately enjoyable for the players (the primary factor in furthering it's existance), that cannot happen. If there are going to be definite rules beyond accepted community game practice, they will be negotiated.

Now, I agree that using reactions to acquire free items of any sort would be cheating. I haven't noticed any community games permitting cheap tricks or outright cheating either; it's just not conducive of proper fun and entertainment. Even aesthetic changes like changing a dwarf's mental stats or personality per request caused a little back-and-forth in the Failcannon thread. However, not many would complain if the world gen had more mineral variation in a given area. Say, changing the mineral scarcity from 2500 to 700-1000.

but, really, my forts aren't half as crazy as most of the stories on here.
Not a problem; I can still use them to give my nephews nightmares when they piss me off!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »

I'd also suggest a few tweaks to domestic animals, like changing turkey to [CHILD:2].  This doesn't change their growth rate, but it does make it so that "the poult has become a gobbler" message will appear when the animal is actually at adult size and ready to butcher.  Default has the turkey becoming an adult at 1 year, but fully grown at 2 years, and butchering becomes tricky.  Instead, have it announce their full size for ease of butchering.  Similar for many birds and other relevant animals.
this thread has gone WAY over my skill and experience level REALLY fast. I'm willing to put in alot of work on this, but the more yall discuss it, the more i realize i'll need ALOT of help from hardcore vets like yall.
mind?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »

Alright, fair point Erik.  I got a little hot there.

Either way, newbie forts aren't a big deal.  They can't all be dwarven hellholes.  Sometimes you just gotta explore a castle, y'know?  Even if it's not a masterpiece, it'll add flavor to the world.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »

Alright, fair point Erik.  I got a little hot there.

Either way, newbie forts aren't a big deal.  They can't all be dwarven hellholes.  Sometimes you just gotta explore a castle, y'know?  Even if it's not a masterpiece, it'll add flavor to the world.
exactly.
in fact, masterpieces will slow things down.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:07 pm »

Isn't what this is basically just building a fort that's fun to explore as an adventurer? If that's all it is, as long as you know how to play the game, you don't really need to be all that experienced. Right?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:26:41 pm by clockout1 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

I honestly wouldn't expect much real progress in a week anyways.  If you played 2 hours a night at solid 100 FPS (no pauses at all) you'd get around 11 years.  These aren't going to be grandiose masterpieces, but a brief showcase of your madness to the world at large.  Imagine, if you will, a grand dwarven history done as a stone mural.  Every stone is picked up by a unique dwarf, who goes out, throws the stone, stabs an elf with the stone, butchers a dead troll with the stone, trades the stone for a sword, kills the shopkeeper with the sword and takes back the stone, and then goes to put that stone into the wet clay of the mural.

The landscape is our canvas, let stone be our paint and bloodshed our motivation.  Each piece unique in form but united in madness.  The collective voices of the damned whispering a disjointed symphony in 38 parts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

this thread has gone WAY over my skill and experience level REALLY fast. I'm willing to put in alot of work on this, but the more yall discuss it, the more i realize i'll need ALOT of help from hardcore vets like yall.
mind?

If you want to manage a community fort thread, check out some of the threads in the Community Games and Stories board. Namely, the OP and following posts, so you can see kinda how games begin and the methods of management. But in general, the basic things you will need are;

1. A description of what you intend to do. Somewhat of a summary really.
2. Most succession forts start with some origin story or handwaving to create the setting. No idea how to translate that into a succession-world...
3. A list of players, usually color coded by their status; active, finished, skipped, or awaiting turn.
4. Possibly a Dorfing List for us nuts that like to know in what horrible manner our dorf died. Again, not sure how a succession-world should treat that.
5. An impressive and catchy name, including the form of game or story ("Succession Planet?") No ideas here...
6. A list of any explicit rules for players. In this case, there might have to be some new ones...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:35:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:42 pm »

If you want to manage a community fort thread, check out some of the threads in the Community Games and Stories board. Namely, the OP and following posts, so you can see kinda how games begin and the methods of management. But in general, the basic things you will need are;

1. A description of what you intend to do. Somewhat of a summary really.
2. Most succession forts start with some origin story or handwaving to create the setting. No idea how to translate that into a succession-world...
3. A list of players, usually color coded by their status; active, finished, skipped, or awaiting turn.
4. Possibly a Dorfing List for us nuts that like to know in what horrible manner our dorf died. Again, not sure how a succession-world should treat that.
5. An impressive and catchy name, including the form of game or story ("Succession Planet?") No ideas here...
6. A list of any explicit rules for players. In this case, there might have to be some new ones...

When you break it down like this, it actually doesn't sound too difficult. Hoping to see some progress on this...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 12:41:43 am »

Pretty much. Until you realize it's your job to check on and manage it on a regular basis. :P

Also, GIH, I opened up Perfect World an cranked out a sad little world based on what you'd written, and a few other little ideas I came up with to get it working.

Here's what it looks like in Perfect World.
From top to bottom it's 1) biome map, 2) elevation map, 3) volcanism map (you said nothing about volcanism besides wishing for a few extra volcanos, but this is my suggestion for composition.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rainfall map was also necessary to come up with the biome map, but it's a pretty straight forward north-south wind direction with a noise field to mix it up slightly, so not really important.

Here's what DF cranked out. (open it in a new window, it's pretty massive.)

Didn't save that world so it's on to prototype stage 2.
I make Spellcrafts!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 01:19:48 am »

^ That's pretty awesome; unless someone else's got something better, we should totally go with that.

If you'd like to come to agreement on a particular landscape, I would suggest that we pass around a .png image made in mspaint or something very similar by way of the ability to accurately modify a single pixel at a time. The passing of the .png would need to be organized and at no point should it become a .jpg (to maintain perfect pixel clarity!) We could even create our own preferred settings for our prospective fortresses. I like Girlinhat's idea for starters.
Then one of us can use that to create a Perfect World file for generating the landscape.
Could also generate a world, export the picture, and cut+paste the pieces we like out of them into said .png, as if we were building a puzzle.
I test-genned a medium region using some suggested params from earlier. Eric Blank's proto-map and pretty much owns it though.
I think it should at least be this colorful, with good and evil variations of every biome. I really like how the biggest human civilization is concentrated around the neutral sea (The Magical Seas of Tiredness) at the center of the world. Definately needs more mountains.
Well, people could choose to make vault forts, but they'd need to outline them as such in their "local lore" section, so that players who aren't dirty cheaters can avoid them and do things the legit way.  Although it should be mentioned that only dwarven adventurers could utilize it, or elves, because humans are too big to wear dwarven-made armor.  In general though, we do encourage AGAINST easy vault forts.  We may allow exactly one cheap fort with a danger room and armor+weapon, to allow leisure players to enjoy mass slaughter and exploration freely, while serious players can take the good route.  But we shouldn't have free armor forts everywhere, no.
What about a vault type fort that is guarded by an army of HFS? Only a decked out superhero would be able to reach the tootsie-roll center anyway.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:54:31 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54