Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!sciencists!! required  (Read 941 times)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
!!sciencists!! required
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:53:55 am »

This is the setup; inspired by Jabba's Palace, the dwarves have dug a fantastic two z level audience chamber with the Cavern of Doom beneath, also two z levels. They have a Forgotten Beast spotted but as yet uncaptured. They have two artifact portals; a hatch and a floodgate.

They're hoping to get the beast to the Pit by means of a bunny trail. Once they get it there they want to contain it within the Pit for festivities but be able to hold it in a secondary area for the purposes of cleaning and item retrieval. Party guests will be wearing full sets of adamantine armour.

They could really use some !!science!! advice on how best to utilise the two artifacts and any other suggestions, particularly about Forgotten Beasts as pets, would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: !!sciencists!! required
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:36:18 am »

What is the full scenario/situation here?

From what I've gathered, you're trying to create a "RELEASE THE NAMELESS ABOMINATION" room for your FB, that works by using an artefact hatch.

Hmm.... Could easily done by having the FB being lured into a room, with a staircase blocked by the lever operated artefact hatch (which will be open at the time of course). Once inside, hatch closes, you now have harnessed FB. Artefact floodgate/raisable bridge can function as the airlock to get your volunteers to feed the FB. To get the FB back into it's kennel, you can use a bunny/dog/goblin chute to rinse and repeat :)

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:58 am »

Thanks for the advice, its being worked on. I thought it would be a side project - it got bigger than expected, obviously. I actually thought I had a non-building destroyer beast - i was wrong.
I sent in the Tin Delights - the finest I could muster. It wasn't so bad when my best and favourite spearwoman lost her left arm, you only need one to poke a greenskin, right? However, when the survivors of the farce of a battle returned, they were spilling their guts everywhere and subsequently died of kidney failure.
I would suggest other noobs take great care if they try to harness a FB.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:45:23 am »

I usually cage it with a webbed cage trap and unleash it as a last resort on the sorry green schmucks when they invade me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

I usually cage it with a webbed cage trap and unleash it as a last resort on the sorry green schmucks when they invade me.

RELEASE IT ANNUALLY. In the centre of your fort.

For the 'lulz.

I'm thinking if it'd be possible to create an FB magma pool... Or even an FB ditch :D

Flightless FB's dumped into a dry moat, and raisable bridges all on one side. Siegers show up, bridges protect FB's, goblins fall, and FB's nom. Come to think of it, this would work even if you just connected it to the caverns...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

Flightless FB's dumped into a dry moat, and raisable bridges all on one side. Siegers show up, bridges protect FB's, goblins fall, and FB's nom. Come to think of it, this would work even if you just connected it to the caverns...
Awesome idea, though you would need to be careful about just connecting it to the caverns since invaders can escape off of any map edge. As such once they are in "retreat" mode they will just make a bee-line for the side of the map in the caverns and a good portion will probably make it past any FB's unless you have a particularly dangerous one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:25 pm »

unless you have a particularly dangerous one.

:D

Could build funnels too :))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »

Just to point out, hatches are indestructible from below. As far as I know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »

Just to point out, hatches are indestructible from below. As far as I know.

From building destroyers anyways. Apparently some people were able to get building destroyers to destroy hatches that had stairs connecting them, but I'm still skeptic :/