Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Serrated blade materials  (Read 2340 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serrated blade materials
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »

Confusing newbies is a price worth paying to protect them from the spoilers of DF :P
The logic, which is actually pretty reasonable, goes that if terms like "candy" are thrown about, newbies are more likely to actually go and look up this mysterious substance on the wiki, which quite naturally leads them directly to spoilers because the substance which it refers to are, surprise surprise, spoilers. As such, the use of the term "candy" leads to more people having surprises spoiled for them, which is exactly what the use of the euphemism is supposed to avoid.

I prefer the term "spoiler metal" for discussions with newbies, though with more experienced players "candy" is a useful shorthand for "adamantine." It's about half as many characters, after all. So, ironically, I sometimes think that the term "candy" should only be used in marked spoilers, and only for the second or later mentions of the substance in a given discussion.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »

Bah, if they look it up on the wiki, guess what, there's a spoiler :P

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »

Serious Q is Serious.

But anyway, I've got a corridor lined with steel and iron, 10 blades to a trap, and the steel seems to cut things up far, far more reliably. Also, There is indeed a pit on either side, and it is filled with spikes. 5 to a tile.

There is also a burrow over top called "Election Year".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »

Confusing newbies is a price worth paying to protect them from the spoilers of DF :P

"Dwarfs… they dig and they dig, they never stop, they hunt for the treasures of the earth as if they were their own, as if they were created solely for them, so they dig, deeper and deeper. They dig and dig, level through level, they break through into a land of dark and sorrow, they dig and dig until they reach the land of dark and mud, they dig and dig until they reach the land of monsters and pain, a land of creatures so vile and twisted even Armok cannot describe them, they dig and dig, for copper iron silver platinum gold and steel, they dig deeper and deeper, hoping, preying, until they find the land of red water. They dig deeper and deeper, refusing the dark mud above’s warning, so they dig deeper and deeper until the stone its self is as strong as syrup, they dig and dig until they find a metal of blue, so unholy in its might, the bane of life, a metal so harsh and unkind wars have been fought for just a nugget of the metal , a metal so vile so evil so unpleasantly perfect that all those whom even check a glimpse of it in its raw form are damned to pain, so they dig and dig until the blue is gone, they dig and dig… then they stop, they hit a small cave, with no mud, they see lights. Then they hear screams." ---- Jaxler

use this as a guide to the candy AKA blue AKA adamantine AKA the bane of all metal... I hope you don't hear the screams on your search for the blue, young newb

I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:01 am »

Spoiler: SPOILERS MAN (click to show/hide)

SPOIIILERRRSSSS

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:45 pm »

Spoiler: SPOILERS MAN (click to show/hide)

SPOIIILERRRSSSS

it no spoil... I only tellz himm how two getz thar

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Nomadicstorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 04:31:44 pm »

Perhaps I should have been more clear - I know perfectly well that "candy" refers to Adamantine, and I also think it's an idiotic euphemism that does nothing but confuse newbies.
Being a newbie, I disagree. I liked the fact that people used euphemisms when they referred to late-game occurances when I first started reading around here. It meant I could (for the most part) read pretty much whatever I wanted without actually becoming any wiser about late-game stuff, since it was all incoherent and random. Thus I could keep my game-knowledge level with how far I had actually gotten while playing.

The logic, which is actually pretty reasonable, goes that if terms like "candy" are thrown about, newbies are more likely to actually go and look up this mysterious substance on the wiki, which quite naturally leads them directly to spoilers because the substance which it refers to are, surprise surprise, spoilers. As such, the use of the term "candy" leads to more people having surprises spoiled for them, which is exactly what the use of the euphemism is supposed to avoid.

I prefer the term "spoiler metal" for discussions with newbies, though with more experienced players "candy" is a useful shorthand for "adamantine." It's about half as many characters, after all. So, ironically, I sometimes think that the term "candy" should only be used in marked spoilers, and only for the second or later mentions of the substance in a given discussion.
It's very obvious that stuff like "candy" and "clowns" aren't actually candy and clowns, but rather euphemisms for something else. Thus the only reason to look it up is if you want it to get spoiled. A spoiler is not a spoiler if the person getting it spoiled wants it to be spoiled. People like me, who didn't, benefit from the euphemisms.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »

*butting in*

That would require the newbies to have some understanding of what spoilers are and how to deal with them, which not all newbies do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

*butting in*

That would require the newbies to have some understanding of what spoilers are and how to deal with them, which not all newbies do.

The majority do :P
And the majority of them want to find out... By digging deeper, and earning their striped beards.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »

*butting in*

The majority do :P
And the majority of them want to find out... By digging deeper, and earning their striped beards.

then they dig, and they dig.  :P

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 04:38:22 am »

@ spoilers: Pussyfooting around adamantine makes little sense because newbies are likely to see it in administration screens long befor they encounter it in the wild. It's *more* likely to spoil them because it hints the material is linked to something more. And with cotton candy, there goes the rest.

@ topic: For some locations, I prefer glass independent of scarcity concerns. Just as good at disarming (and delegging), more likely to be stopped by head and body armour and therefore less likely to kill outright. Less jammed traps, more sociopathic giggles.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »

Ok, look. Here's how noobs work on the internet. There are good noobs, and bad noobs.

Good noobs are not stupid, just new. They know they don't know anything, and either
      A: Play the game to learn as they go along, and avoid spoilers like the plague or
      B: Actively seek out information before playing / as they go along, spoilers bedamned.

Bad noobs are Stupid. They are Monumentally stupid. Bad noobs bow-legged, thoughtless, monitor-licking fools, and there is nothing you can do to help these people. These are the ones who post "Lol I dont wnt to look on the wiki, just popst my solution here", or "Lol I had turkey for brekfast today". These people are the ones who hate having things spoiled, but still CONCIOUSLY DECIDE to click "CANDY. HEY THIS THIS IS SPOILERS. DONT CLICK ME". Then they complain. You cannot guard against this. Make it idiot-proof, and the world will just build a better idiot. So don't worry about spoilers. If they were like me, and didn't want any spoilers, they really just won't look.

PS: I am not calling you stupid for acccidentally finding a spoiler. That is all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]