Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959205 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8625 on: November 11, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »

If they go for a civvie, it's basically just a free turn to gun down the cryssie, and then follow up by gunning down the even-less-threatening zombie, so that would definitely not be an ideal strategy for them to adopt (well, unless they had tons of hp and damage mitigation or came in swarms of 10 or something).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:38 pm »

What happen if a country withdraw when you have a satellite over it? Also, something I never could find data on: do you intercept more ships on bigger countries?
I had the satellite thing happen once so far in vanilla EW: you lose the satellite when the country withdraws.

IIRC in vanilla you can't intercept more ships over bigger countries, but I don't know for sure.

E: holy shit LW air battles are so much harder now
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:33:21 pm by crazysheep »
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:34 am »

, so that would definitely not be an ideal strategy for them to adopt (well, unless they had tons of hp and damage mitigation or came in swarms of 10 or something).

No, it is totally the optimal strategy in long war.  Each dead civ raises local and conental panic.  The best slien objective is to kill civs at any cost.

And that is what they do.  I've seen them turn away from closer soldiers to kill civs, and it has been a bad trade for me.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: November 12, 2014, 05:36:00 am »

, so that would definitely not be an ideal strategy for them to adopt (well, unless they had tons of hp and damage mitigation or came in swarms of 10 or something).

No, it is totally the optimal strategy in long war.  Each dead civ raises local and conental panic.  The best slien objective is to kill civs at any cost.

And that is what they do.  I've seen them turn away from closer soldiers to kill civs, and it has been a bad trade for me.

Would you really prefer losing one or more soldiers (which would probably result in more dead civvies later anyway)?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: November 12, 2014, 06:50:37 am »

Id certainly prefer they come AT my soldiers. 

The goal of a terror mission is to sow terror.  They seem to do this correctly.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: November 12, 2014, 02:47:02 pm »

Gah, had a terror mission which had lots of zombie pods, a nice addition in Long War to have zombie pods but I had 12 zombies shambling towards me. Not very scary for me but annoying to have civilians keep running towards the zombies. Had to kill a few civvies as well to save more with shredder rockets and grenades.

Almost lost a gunner to a chyrsalid but luckily she had lots of armour so survived with 1hp.

The air game is annoying though, I let UFOs run rampant unless they are going for my satellites otherwise I don't have enough interceptors to deal with satellite hunters, that being said I did find out that if you damage a hunter UFO 50% then it will fail it's mission so maybe as long as I keep 1 interceptor to deal with a hunter I can survive the air game. Laser cannons soon though :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »

From what I understand of it, you are better of sending an interceptor then running away, rather then totally ignoring it, since ignoring it gives +panic.  Am I wrong with that?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: November 12, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »

Yeah if you ignore some UFOs they go on bombing runs causing panic, however some land which can be good for missions, or generate abduction missions.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:14 pm »

From what I understand of it, you are better of sending an interceptor then running away, rather then totally ignoring it, since ignoring it gives +panic.  Am I wrong with that?
Note that the panic causing is their "mission" though, meaning that you need to get them to around 50% hp or so to prevent the panic. It's more about how you don't necessarily have to kill UFO's, just hurt them somewhat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: November 12, 2014, 03:13:28 pm »

Yeah, when you see big orange explosions on the alien craft, it means they'll not do their mission or do it much less effective. So, it's not necessary to shoot down each UFO (plus, gives the chance to have a landing, which means more salvage).
But yeah, in LW, they get less and less effective with each shot at their mission. A UFO at 50% will never be able to shoot down your satellite.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: November 12, 2014, 03:18:00 pm »

Also, from what Beaglerush said, the Council get more pissed off if you ignore an UFO that if you send an interceptor and instantly abort.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8636 on: November 12, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »

That's how it worked in Oldcom. A UFO that is ignored by XCOM causes more displeasure than one that is contacted.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: November 12, 2014, 05:32:46 pm »

Also, from what Beaglerush said, the Council get more pissed off if you ignore an UFO that if you send an interceptor and instantly abort.
This. Failed interceptions hurt you less than unintercepted UFOs on the Council Report.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: November 13, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

This. Failed interceptions hurt you less than unintercepted UFOs on the Council Report.

Interesting, I never knew about that (either in NewCom or OldCom!)  Is this true in vanilla NewCom as well, not just LW?

I'm still trying to work my way round to actually completing vanilla.  I just tend to either lose motivation (usually shortly after the alien base mission) or get completely outclassed (usually due to a sheer lack of UFOs and hence material).  I've just hit the beginning of May, just got the alien containment built, researching heavy lasers now, so I'm expecting/hoping to have the alien base mission lined up ready to go by the end of the month for the inevitably-needed global panic reduction.  Given it's May, I now need to start being more careful to avoid clustering my soldiers near each other - because mutons.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:01 pm »

Interesting, I never knew about that (either in NewCom or OldCom!)  Is this true in vanilla NewCom as well, not just LW?
There was a similar "exploit" with terror missions in OldCom. Landing and immediately dusting off would make score you with ~-240 points, versus the flat -1000 for simply ignoring the mission. Good way to reduce the damage from terrorism you had no hope of stopping.

... I wonder if that works in NewCom.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 625