Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959266 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8610 on: November 11, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »

But the worst part about terror missions on any difficulty is the fact that sometimes civilians just die without rhyme or reason if you can't see them. Easily the most aggravating part of terror missions for me.
It's a crapshoot. Getting that one achievement requiring "Excellent" on all three ratings of a terror mission is basically only pure luck in hoping that the aliens don't take their time shooting civvies when your guys are raining Hell on them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: November 11, 2014, 01:33:45 pm »

Yeah, you just need to wait until you get a terror mission where you activate most aliens immediately.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: November 11, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »

From what i get civilians used to die randomly UNLESS they are spotted by your soldiers.

That was in since the acctual packs of aliens didn't target civilians before activation so civilians had to die of heart attacks and other non alien related reasons.
This also meant that chryssalids didn't multiply as much as you could suspect... but with that rate of movement and mobility the map would be mostly clean of civilians at turn 3 or 4 if they actively attacked them.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: November 11, 2014, 02:04:47 pm »

Terror missions are much more annoying in long war because you need a good result to not get panic and a great result to get panic reduction. Luckily though in Long War it doesn't matter too much if you do lose a funding nation as you can always do missions later to get them back.

My last terror mission was scary though, had one chrysalid left alive with 3hp quite close to my troops but luckily it decided to run backwards and kill a civilian instead, was annoying that all my assaults were fatigued but I actually managed to survive with no injuries to squad, only 1 guy got acid attacked and the aliens only shot and missed one other time, but on the other hand I came back with 3 civilians which would have been 4 if the stupid civilian didn't run out to make himself visible to the last alien on the map :/

EDIT: I also think there is something that game calculates civilian deaths depending on location of alien pods, I'm pretty sure that on some terror maps I went past civilians without saving them to kill aliens and then they went back in fog of war and didn't die at the end of the mission.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:07:13 pm by Sharp »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: November 11, 2014, 03:21:52 pm »

From what i get civilians used to die randomly UNLESS they are spotted by your soldiers.

That was in since the acctual packs of aliens didn't target civilians before activation so civilians had to die of heart attacks and other non alien related reasons.
This also meant that chryssalids didn't multiply as much as you could suspect... but with that rate of movement and mobility the map would be mostly clean of civilians at turn 3 or 4 if they actively attacked them.
Don't know if it's a long war thing or not, but this definitely isn't the case in long war. Roving Chryssalids combined with the fact that every zombie will eventually become a chryssalid, offscreen or not, on any difficulty in long war meant that I've had more then one occasion that ended up turning into just wave after wave of chryssalids as all of the dead civilians began turning.

I do think that civilians are at a reduced targeting priority though, so that might slow things down a little bit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:05 pm »

I do think that civilians are at a reduced targeting priority though, so that might slow things down a little bit.
I wish. Honestly, and that's one of my main gripes with terror missions (vanilla or LW), it's that aliens rather target civies than XCOM soldiers. E.g. in my last game I activated a pod with 3 floaters and a muton in a supermarket. They could all fire on my units (though they were in cover). Only the muton fired on my units, the 3 floaters killed civies (and the floaters could probably have moved to flank my units).

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

I wish. Honestly, and that's one of my main gripes with terror missions (vanilla or LW), it's that aliens rather target civies than XCOM soldiers. E.g. in my last game I activated a pod with 3 floaters and a muton in a supermarket. They could all fire on my units (though they were in cover). Only the muton fired on my units, the 3 floaters killed civies (and the floaters could probably have moved to flank my units).
The AI will almost always choose to shoot at targets that are in the open. I don't know if civies ever count as being in cover.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: November 11, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »

Meh, dead civvies better then dead soldiers.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:13 pm »

Soldiers aren't as squishy, though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: November 11, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »

I prefer missed soldiers or even wounded than dead civvies. For the 3 shots the floaters had, they'd have 1 shot successful I think (nearly all my units in full cover).
Also, in LW, every day civvie is a hard hit to the country's panic. I had 2 terror missions in Egypt, and I fear the country may withdraw, even though I got a satellite over it (I'm wondering if the attacks on Egypt are due to the fact that aliens have a "strategy" in LW).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: November 11, 2014, 05:25:18 pm »

What happen if a country withdraw when you have a satellite over it? Also, something I never could find data on: do you intercept more ships on bigger countries?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:26 pm »

The AI will almost always choose to shoot at targets that are in the open. I don't know if civies ever count as being in cover.

I think it's simpler than that. I think the AI goes for the best shots it can, all things being equal. Since shots against civilians are 100% all the time, they take those attacks rather than taking the shots against the XCOM soldiers that have a chance of failing. Chryssalids seem to go after whoever is closest, but I'm not positive about them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: November 11, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

I think it's simpler than that. I think the AI goes for the best shots it can, all things being equal. Since shots against civilians are 100% all the time, they take those attacks rather than taking the shots against the XCOM soldiers that have a chance of failing. Chryssalids seem to go after whoever is closest, but I'm not positive about them.
Not always 100%.  I've seen precisely one shot made by the AI against a civilian miss, ever.  Suppression turned out to be a rather lucky thing for the poor fellow...at least, until the second Floater took the shot and killed the civilian anyways.  C'est la vie, or not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: November 11, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »

Oh, yeah, I've saved civilians with Suppression before too. But, base 100% anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »

I've seen chryssalids ignore a room full of civilians before, so I don't think it's as simple as going for the nearest.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 625