Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959112 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8580 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:16 am »

Sounds like a bug. :/

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: November 10, 2014, 04:44:08 am »

Of course it's a bug, but so is the game deciding to put all 5 starting pod points within 4 tiles of each other. I'm not complaining, I really needed something to start helping me out at this point (only a couple of weeks till all my foundry projects start kicking in to help get me back on my feet, but it's going to be a tense few weeks).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: November 10, 2014, 07:56:36 am »

Mutons seem buggy, a few times I have had them dance around and then end up with no cover. Managed to win my mission but no meld canister :( also everyone is in sickbay except for the SHIV which is dead.

Not looking forward to facing 20hp outsiders who regen health....

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »

Not looking forward to facing 20hp outsiders who regen health....
My general tactic for dealing with the regening outsiders is one of a massive force rush. Just sneak people close them simultaneously run everyone up next to them and hit them with all the 100% hit chances you can muster. A SHIV + a shotgun assault can usually do most of their health, if not kill them outright, and with another soldier or two to finish them off it's almost always a guaranteed kill without problems if it's only a single outsider. (Having a gunner or two helps during the sneak phase since you can suppress them to sink their ability to hit you while you close the gap, assuming you weren't able to sneak all of the way to the door and just insta-kill them on the first turn after the door opens).

When dealing with multiple outsiders I prefer a sniper+smaller rush strategy, so that I don't have to reveal all of my troops to any further ethereal fire until there is only one left, than just mass rush again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: November 10, 2014, 04:34:30 pm »

Ugh I want Exalt to get Laser Weapons already, the covert ops missions are pretty easy so far but once they get lasers they will probably be a bit more difficult but then I can stun em and get laser weapons as well :D Lot easier then stunning Mutons....

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: November 10, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »

Ugh I want Exalt to get Laser Weapons already, the covert ops missions are pretty easy so far but once they get lasers they will probably be a bit more difficult but then I can stun em and get laser weapons as well :D Lot easier then stunning Mutons....
You mean Plasma ? Afaik, Exalt can't get plasma. So stunning Mutons is still better.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »

EXALT don't get plasma, but they do get lasers.
I'm assuming he just wants a pissload of lasers without having to make them himself.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: November 10, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »

For selling them mainly, make some fat staaacks braaah

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »

Is there any way to further narrow down the list of EXALT HQ locations other than by continuing to do covert ops? EXALT's starting to bring out the laser weapons and gene mods in my game, and I want to knock them out ASAP.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: November 10, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »

Is there any way to further narrow down the list of EXALT HQ locations other than by continuing to do covert ops? EXALT's starting to bring out the laser weapons and gene mods in my game, and I want to knock them out ASAP.
Not that I've seen, unless you want to make an educated guess at their location before knowing for sure.
You'll just have to keep at the covert ops, bro.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:19 pm »

Unless long war changes it, the exalt laser weapons are barely worth anything in the grey market.

Edit: You don't want to accuse the wrong country. Bad shit happens if you do. Besides, exalt is good training for your less experienced troops, and free laser weapons if you don't have many yet and haven't moved on to plasma.

Normal on vanilla Xcom (without the expansion, and without save-scumming (much)) felt hard at first, because I took a lot of losses, but it turned out that I could just hire replacement soldiers, keep improving my technology, and keep pushing on until I won, because the aliens had no way to actually defeat me, other than killing all my guys in the final mission and hoping I would quit instead of reload. I lost 50 soldiers, yet won before the global average time.

My second game, with Enemy Within (still normal difficulty) feels considerably easier (I've had few deaths, most of my troops are gene-modded colonels, and I have 6 psionics), although I'm sure some of due to knowing what I'm doing, but the 4 guaranteed psionics, gene mods, and EXALT made things a lot easier. Sectoid commanders aren't a threat, I mind-control mechtoids and berserkers, and the only ethereal I've run into so far, I mind-controlled (he promptly got killed by one of his guards).

I'm wondering if the higher difficulty settings are more of a challenge, or if I should just try Long War (or if it would be a mistake to go straight from Normal to Long War because of how easy/forgiving Normal is)?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:21:37 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: November 10, 2014, 06:30:26 pm »

Bah. I'm still sour about losing one of my best soldiers to a glitch in one of those covert ops, so I don't like going on them. Now I send expendable squaddies >.>
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: November 10, 2014, 06:33:45 pm »

Mrm... Long War's difficulty is not like regular XCOM's.

There's a fair bit more randomization (such as grenades and rocket launchers not doing fixed damage) and you get 6 soldiers straight up which can be upgraded to even more. At the start it's piss easy as you tend to outnumber the aliens and your weapons are better than the standard ones in vanilla.

The difficulty comes gradually. First you notice aliens have waaaay more hp than you're used to. Then there's waaaaay more of them. Then they start doing more abilities.

If I were to rank difficulty based on my experience, it'd be like this:

Ironman impossible with every single second wave option > Ironman impossible > long war classic > ironman classic > long war normal > spreading peanut butter > normal

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: November 10, 2014, 07:30:18 pm »

Oh man, I hate it when too much gobbs together and the bread tears.  Total ragequit time.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »

Sirius: Just kill all the exalt troopers and that glitch can never happen. :D
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 625