Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959299 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8475 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:20 am »

Long war is so good, having an epic game at the moment.

Last mission was a terror attack on Paris, and second movement of the game I wake 2 pack of 4 chrysalid and a pack of those floating tentacle things. There is also 2 zombies closing in, but they are the least of my worries at this point. I back everyone up while laying some cover fire. One rookie and a trooper got strangled and didn't make it, but the rest of the squad got out to the extraction point. Paris is overrun, but we live to fight another day. I really like how you can fuck up some mission without instantly losing the war, makes ironman so much more fun.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:38 pm »

I brought three mec troopers and a shiv for that zombie festival when I first did it. Had no clue about the hilarity that was going to happen.

It was a glorious zombie festival.

I didn't lose anything, but it should be obvious as mec troopers and shivs are stupidly OP.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: October 27, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »

Heh, that's even better than mine.  My first game, I didn't roll it until the Gollup Chamber was being constructed, which meant that I went in with full plasma weapons and end-game armor, but only two MECs; even with that alone, I basically rocked its little Newfie world.  My second game on, I started receiving it in the early game, but by that point I knew exactly what I would be in for and was able to gear accordingly. 

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: October 27, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »

I always wondered in Enemy Within how making a cybernetic death walker was somehow harder than making a robotic gun platform, considering they already exist.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: October 27, 2014, 12:45:01 pm »

I sent my assault to get every kill that came out of the whale, right up until they stopped spawning. I also managed to get her to kill a whole bunch more, leaving at the last possible moment.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: October 27, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, which continent do you start in?

Yeah, the only difficulty is if you receive it fairly early (e.g. as first or second council mission).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: October 27, 2014, 02:37:05 pm »

I brought three mec troopers and a shiv for that zombie festival when I first did it. Had no clue about the hilarity that was going to happen.

It was a glorious zombie festival.

I didn't lose anything, but it should be obvious as mec troopers and shivs are stupidly OP.

Oh? I made one mec trooper, but he survived something like 5 missions before getting killed (by a mind-controlled high-level assault), and through all those missions he never gained any levels. I was not very impressed with his effectiveness either. The only useful thing he was really able to do was to buff everyone else's defense with his area shield thing. Oh well. According to the wiki, I chose the worst class to turn into a MEC, and should have chosen a lieutenant instead of a squaddie.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »

They do gain less experience, so I use high-ranking soldiers.  I've never even tried the flamethrower yet so I don't know how it is, but the kinetic strike module is a large amount of *reliable* melee damage.  I think just having it makes them move faster, too.  Basically they have a ton of health, a reliable source of massive single-target damage, and a pretty good weapon (though it has to be reloaded like crazy).  Later abilities can make them even more survivable, and they can be healed with arc throwers.  The healing mist is a nice bonus.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: October 27, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »

The biggest problem with them is the later choices in equipment aren't very valuable. The healing mist needs everyone in a cluster, and only heals 6. The grenade launcher does only 4 damage, and doesn't have much for tactical uses.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:16 pm »

Destroying cover without emptying your magazine?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: October 27, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »

I'm an easy mode scrub, so I get by without having your namby-pampy fancy tactics. You know, back in my day we didn't have yer rassin-frassin' grenade launchers!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: October 27, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »

The grenade launcher and the mine layer can stack damage.

So you drop a mine on an enemy then shoot a grenade at it with another guy. Boom. A billion damage.

Reliable damage is how you win in XCOM. A fully specced Mec trooper has three amazing sources of it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: October 27, 2014, 04:37:52 pm »

They do gain less experience, so I use high-ranking soldiers.

Dont they get superior advancement profiles though?  By looking at the configs -- at least for Long War -- it seems like MECs of each class have better stat advancement than the comparable trooper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: October 27, 2014, 06:32:19 pm »

Personally, I've had a lot more luck with genemodded soldiers. In my last game I had an assault who could regenerate health, and in my current game my Squadsight sniper has the ability to leap to any height and the Depth Perception mod for extra Aim and crit when above enemies. Compare that to my MEC heavy, who got wasted by a trio of Mutons on his very first mission and couldn't even hit anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:31 pm »

I always wondered in Enemy Within how making a cybernetic death walker was somehow harder than making a robotic gun platform, considering they already exist.
Uh. Answered your own question there; we already have robotic gun platforms in active service.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 625