Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959294 times)

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8445 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:40 pm »

Playing on real time at least, the key for poppers is to use weapons that don't detonate them on a kill. I forget the name, but the x-com bio-weapons you can research will do the trick I think. Not sure about which earlier weapons don't blow them up, but probably there are some.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »

Treaty signed: Megapol, Diablo
Megapol no
This is not how you THE LAW
you're still opening fire on Osiron despite them never openly breaking THE LAW
Megapol :|
Rolan7 - YOU BETRAYED THE LAW!
Megapol - LAWWWWWWWW!

LAAWWWWWWW!!!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: October 25, 2014, 05:46:31 am »

Playing on real time at least, the key for poppers is to use weapons that don't detonate them on a kill. I forget the name, but the x-com bio-weapons you can research will do the trick I think. Not sure about which earlier weapons don't blow them up, but probably there are some.

Lasers plasma anddisruptors. basically any beam weapon. And of course stun gas.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:44 pm »

Real time, reaction fire, pray that they get it before it comes close enough.... and/or put the least valuable member in front.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8449 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »

So I have a bit of a problem with XCOM Enemy Within. More specifically the game is freezing randomly on me either on the first mission or right after that while scooting about the base. The game stops responding but doesn't quite and when I check task manager the process is still there but no CPU use. I will note that before this I was having excessive audio stuttering and the only thing that fixed it (most of the time) was what I found here and I followed that exactly. My computer is running Win7, has 4GB ram, a Radeon HD 5400, and I have 2 monitors. I am running the game in border-less windowed mode though I have tried regular windowed and full screen mode. If anyone has a way to stop it form freeze crashing that would be really appreciated.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:31 pm »

Does XCOM Enemy Unknown have the same problem?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:16 pm »

Has anyone discovered a way to determine what classes rookies will become? I just got two more snipers and I have 4 heavies, when I desperately need assaults and supports.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:44 pm »

Have you ruled out video card issues with Enemy Within? I keep running into that atm, didn't have that issue with EU.

@Sirus: If you use Not Created Equally, it's pretty hard to tell. But if you run a normal game, typically rookies with average aim become assaults or supports.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »

It's random.  In Long War, it is random but weighted.  There is an .ini setting that governs the exact chance, but basically they are most likely to become whatever class you have the least of otherwise it is a 1 in 4 chance of whatever.

The variable they use to determine the weighting is reused from something they took out ( LATE_UFO_CHANCE ) so I suspect there is no weighting in stock.  Or if there is, it isn't configurable.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: October 26, 2014, 09:55:57 pm »

I haven't tried it, but there's this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/488/?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: October 27, 2014, 12:26:18 am »

So I have a bit of a problem with XCOM Enemy Within. More specifically the game is freezing randomly on me either on the first mission or right after that while scooting about the base. The game stops responding but doesn't quite and when I check task manager the process is still there but no CPU use. I will note that before this I was having excessive audio stuttering and the only thing that fixed it (most of the time) was what I found here and I followed that exactly. My computer is running Win7, has 4GB ram, a Radeon HD 5400, and I have 2 monitors. I am running the game in border-less windowed mode though I have tried regular windowed and full screen mode. If anyone has a way to stop it form freeze crashing that would be really appreciated.

EDIT: My mistake, my solution was CPU related and not GPU as I had thought.

EDIT2: You aren't using an AMD FX CPU are you?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/STEAMGamesonAMDFXplatforms.aspx

I'm pretty sure that's the issue I had. Instead of updating your BIOS you can use Orochi CEG before running the game to disable the Steam CEG that causes the issue.

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?157481-Horrible-frame-rate-and-stuttering/page2
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:43:11 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:40 am »

Okay, wow. I hate EXALT.

On the very first enemy turn, an EXALT heavy launches a rocket. That rocket one-shots my primary medic (despite being a heavy in carapace armor), wounds the rookie I brought along, causes said rookie to panic, and destroys a wall that my other heavy was taking cover behind. Now he has to run away, which means I can't return fire with my own rockets. What a load of bullshit.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:49 am »

Okay, so I cracked and got the game. But I need some advice on sattelite placement. I'm trying to add a new uplink (and two sattelites) each month, but which country should I target?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:59 am »

Focus on those that give the best rewards in money, continent bonuses, panic reduction, and scientists/engineers.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:24 am »

OKAY, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT?!

The EXALT mission in my previous post was a success, despite the loss of a heavy and a promising rookie. The covert operative? Not even injured despite a nasty ambush by two EXALT troops who somehow dropped and overwatched in perfect flanking positions.

But then.

BUT THEN!!!!

I get everyone back to base and the covert operative was - get this - KIA. The cause of death is only "Major Trauma (Unknown)". BULLSHIT. He wasn't even scratched! He got out! That was one of my best soldiers and my only assault! Why the hell is he dead?!

Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 625