Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959249 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8430 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:28 pm »

Because I am an honest man, it seems I was wrong.

FD, you were right. I could have sworn BR said that SCOPEs did not effect rocket accuracy. However, in the latest Live and Impossible, he states them do, and that now it is lasers that no longer help. Thinking on it, I believe he said previously that it was going to be patched that lasers would not help, and I misremembered from that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: October 22, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »

This looks cool:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/2k0aau/lw_realistic_country_funding_modification/

Model the vast income disparity of the real world.  Get huge moneys from the industrial / economic might of the US, PRC, and Germany.  Let the rest of the world languish under the thumb of their alien oppressors.

But here are hard choices, too.  Aliens don't care about moneys, and they can get their income and research bonuses (LW thing) just as well by operating in the poor countries.  So if you focus only on the major economies and leave the southern hemisphere for the bugs, you might get rich.  But they will also grow unopposed and you'll be facing stronger xenos than you would if you defended the globe with a more even hand.

Might have to try this out.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: October 22, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »

GMG gave me a code for 80% off Enemy Within.

Anyone want it?

Edit: Code is gone.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: October 22, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »

Ok so i decided to start anew with build 14 and try emulating Beaglerush as best as i can...

So mission 1 6 rookies 10 aliens. 8 sectoids 2 drones. I get through the entire mission without much of a fuss (altho the sectoids now seem to constantly retreat and make overwatch ambushes).

But the last 2 sectoids both with 1 HP. Damn those 2 [REDACTED].

One was overwatching so i sent one rookie to a corner near him literally 1 tite away from him. 95% hitchance. He shoots and... misses.
Ok then. I take another rookie and sneak up from the other side without triggering the overwatch... 95% chance and MISS again.
Desperate since i had only 3 soldiers nearby i flashbanged the overwatching sectoid. Then i sent one guy to the other sectoid (that was not shot at yet) and killed him.
So now i have one guy and one sectoid to kill that survived 2 95% shots. I decide to run up right into his face... and missclicked. My guy ran one title away from him where SOMEHOW he was not flanked and i had only a 52% chance to hit... and he hit.

End of mission victory good job.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:23 am »

I loved Beagle's vidoes but Live and Impossible seems to be a chore to watch. I don't have the patience to play like him and be very calculating, it's like watching chess, I appreciate the skill and effort but it's just boring for me to watch and even more boring to play like that, I am more of a Speed/Kung Fu chess guy (I miss that game)

I am annoyed by just vanilla EW though because even though im on classic I get the occasional flip the keyboard situation like 3x3 sectoid packs all next to each other at a back of a small building, and a final 3 pack inside the small building, and then another 2 packs on the other side of the map, I think Long War would have been easier by just having more firepower available to deal with the mass horde of sectiods....

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:11 am »

But on the other hand those sectoids would have at least one leader in those packs to mess with your 8 man squad.. :p
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:21 am »

I loved Beagle's vidoes but Live and Impossible seems to be a chore to watch. I don't have the patience to play like him and be very calculating, it's like watching chess, I appreciate the skill and effort but it's just boring for me to watch and even more boring to play like that, I am more of a Speed/Kung Fu chess guy (I miss that game)

I am annoyed by just vanilla EW though because even though im on classic I get the occasional flip the keyboard situation like 3x3 sectoid packs all next to each other at a back of a small building, and a final 3 pack inside the small building, and then another 2 packs on the other side of the map, I think Long War would have been easier by just having more firepower available to deal with the mass horde of sectiods....
Easier, definitely.  But that's why it did stuff like rebalance rockets so you couldn't just drop an AoE 6 HP worth of destruction on an area, guaranteed.  Still, dealing with that sort of cluster is why I always haul at least one grenade with my soldiers; HE is nice for punching through cover, but AP does a bit more damage. 

Eugh, though, I started LW14 and, for the first time, activated Absolutely Critical.  This one tweak turns fliers from their usual threats into outright menaces, because of one simple reason - unless they use actual field cover (which is rare), they cannot be flanked.  I lost two rookies on the first mission with drones because they serenely floated right over the cover, flanked my soldiers, and one-shotted them with that guaranteed crit (a third I lost because in spite of having three soldiers of the six packing medkits, those three were the first ones to get gunned down).  I am not looking forward to Floaters.  Though, it is fun for dealing with Thin Men in Council Missions; they drop in and immediately get one-shotted by opportunity fire because they're not in cover.  It completely trivialized my first bomb disposal mission.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8437 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

I am more of a Speed/Kung Fu chess guy (I miss that game)
http://www.judochess.com/

GMG gave me a code for 80% off Enemy Within.

Anyone want it?
If someone else hasn't already claimed it, yes please! I have Unknown but I haven't touched Enemy Within.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:49:18 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »

Started a new game on b14.  Made some .ini changes that I thought would help relieve some of the tedium.

ended up having soldiers with negative defense values.  I dont remember making changes to any of the soldier stats, so I guess it is time to roll back and start over.

Or maybe I shouldn't have tried to install over the old version of the mod, and it is time to restore from steam's stock game data.  Oh well.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: October 24, 2014, 02:33:38 am »

Argh!  That is actually designed behavior, I didn't break it after all.  They got rid of defense in b14 in favor of giving aliens lower accuracy.  My ini edits were fine, and I restarted for no reason.

doh!

I think 14c is going to be out quickly though...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: October 24, 2014, 07:31:52 am »

This looks cool:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/2k0aau/lw_realistic_country_funding_modification/

Model the vast income disparity of the real world.  Get huge moneys from the industrial / economic might of the US, PRC, and Germany.  Let the rest of the world languish under the thumb of their alien oppressors.

But here are hard choices, too.  Aliens don't care about moneys, and they can get their income and research bonuses (LW thing) just as well by operating in the poor countries.  So if you focus only on the major economies and leave the southern hemisphere for the bugs, you might get rich.  But they will also grow unopposed and you'll be facing stronger xenos than you would if you defended the globe with a more even hand.

Might have to try this out.
This looks like an interesting and useful change.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:53 am »

Huh, glad I was watching here. I guess I won't be 'up'grading to the new version of LW.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: October 24, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »

Finally got around to playing this after picking it up a month or so back and it is tons of fun. :D

That said I just had a horrible experience where all but one of my crack team of valkyries got annihilated. :'( I was creeping through a building and had forgotten to check what the ceiling looked like. Turns out that it was a very large glass ceiling, and there was a surprising number of aliens lurking up there on all sides of the roof for some reason or other. The resulting hail of crossfire once I set them off  by spotting them with the very last valkyrie to move slew all but my sniper (who really should have spotted that ambush ::)) instantly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:52 pm »

Still playing Apocalypse off and on.  Still liking it.  I gave up on rooting out *all* alien infiltration, and as a result I had a full force of 12 troops.  VERY briefly.  The things I called poppers were actually multiworms.  Poppers are even worse.  One insta-killed 2 guys in full armor from down a hallway.  Another heavily wounded three squaddies without ever being spotted (must have popped out of a certain door).  I'm down to 5 active and 5 wounded troopers, and a spattering of alien infiltration everywhere.  On the plus side, my early strong score made the aliens start using disruptor guns in the first week.  Which are generally *way* safer than brainsucker launchers, plus my troops are now fully outfitted with fairly powerful energy rifles which regenerate ammo rapidly.  They seem to be the lasers of XCOM 3 (not those puny laser sniper flashlights Megapol sells).

I like to think Megapol is like the Judges.  Megacity One, distinctive body armor, Lawpistols, they are surely the law -
Treaty signed: Megapol, Diablo
Megapol no
This is not how you THE LAW
you're still opening fire on Osiron despite them never openly breaking THE LAW
Megapol :|
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: October 24, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »

Treaty signed: Megapol, Diablo
Megapol no
This is not how you THE LAW
you're still opening fire on Osiron despite them never openly breaking THE LAW
Megapol :|
Rolan7 - YOU BETRAYED THE LAW!
Megapol - LAWWWWWWWW!

Seriously tho diablo is one of my fav gangs... because they sell those wonderful WONDERFUL INC nades.
Sure they damage things and the fire might wreck large portions of the building if it goes out of control but it also causes aliens to indirectly panic because even if they don't panic statwise they still try to get out of the fire.

They are not that great for killing because they are kinda slow at it but... well i just find them fun.

Also yeah poppers are the devil but from my experience cyborgs usually can survive a popper blast to the face (but not more than one). Additionally they tend to faint when running through stun gas so you might want to try that as well.

Thre are no downsides to disruptor guns (other than being absolutely ugly) and as usual when talking about X-Com i suggest that you play one game in realtime with your entire squal dual wielding them and set on full auto. I remember having rounds where most of the enemies were killed by envromental damage rather than direct hits when i was using dual devastators on most of my troops... but then chemical warfare became a thing and i dropped the cool shooty guns in favour of dinky pistols.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 625