Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959206 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8415 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:24 am »

Okay! Cleared out my first EXALT cell. No deaths on my part, in large part because EXALT members seem to have pretty bad accuracy. Got plenty of promotions out of the deal at least.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:47 am »

EXALT are pretty feeble to be honest. In LW, as with everything else, they're a little better, and can be found with the aliens.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: October 22, 2014, 07:03:07 am »

Do EXALT and aliens shoot each other, or are they neutral or something?
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:49 am »

Well, in conventional XCOM: EW, they never appear together. The story claims they don't interfere with the aliens themselves, hoping to control the world after the aliens establish a new order. So they're neutral, I guess, as far as the aliens can be neutral to anyone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:59 am »

Well, in conventional XCOM: EW, they never appear together. The story claims they don't interfere with the aliens themselves, hoping to control the world after the aliens establish a new order. So they're neutral, I guess, as far as the aliens can be neutral to anyone.

This is one of the major reasons why I wish the story of Enemy Within was that after the loss at the end of the original game... the aliens used the Merge, or whatever it is, to transport that back in time to use as a weapon against the humans to hopefully change the events of the game in their favor.

Instead it is an INCREDIBLY weird "Yeah, this is ACTUALLY how things went... we don't know what happened in the original game but that was complete nonsense"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8420 on: October 22, 2014, 08:32:16 am »

There was an XCOM inside XCOM that dealt with [EXALT] in order to keep it a secret from XCOM.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: October 22, 2014, 10:18:16 am »

First Classic Ironman victory in Enemy Within, only 28 soldiers sacrificed themselves for the greater good!
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: October 22, 2014, 03:08:19 pm »

So it looks like Long War Beta 14 just went up. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2jr06q/xcom_enemy_within_long_war_mod_beta_14_has_just/

Most of the features look good.  not sure about the landed assault carriers using a shot down battleship map, maybe just should have left that feature out if it couldn't be properly implemented.

Nice that the HP display differentiates between natural and armor based HP -- I hope this means that it also affects wound recovery time.  Taking hits on armor should not be as incapacitating as hits that get through.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: October 22, 2014, 03:51:19 pm »

Do aliens still attack X-COM bases in the nuXCOM?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: October 22, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »

They do once in a scripted mission in the expansion.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: October 22, 2014, 03:53:32 pm »

Still having fun with Apocalypse.  The geoscape here is unmatched.  Great flavor, great variety of options, and I mean options which aren't practically suicide.  It's like someone listened to fans of the first XCOM and made a game for them.  Equipping/unequipping items from a slot for several soldiers at once?  Hell yes.  Destructible environments but having there be a reasonable cost?  Sweet.  NPC factions engaging the aliens ineffectually?  These were all features demanded of original XCOM, and here they are.

I'm still not very far in, though, since it's about as slow as original XCOM.  Finding the last alien is still a chore, except now it's a chore which can run up to one of your search party and OHKO them (turning them into an enemy unit, but at least you know where they ARE).  Freakin brainsuckers (and hyperworms).  But even that part is much less severe than the originals.

Yeah, I'm still using turn-based.  I tried a real-time battle against the Cult of Sirius, since they're super-easy in turn-based.  I came across a cluster and my scout got pelted with, I swear, 5 grenades in a few seconds.  I think I'll stick with turn-based.  Brainsuckers are hyperworms are rough, but leaving TU for reaction fire is working sometimes.  And my few robots are immune to the brainsucker insta-kill-converts anyway.

My situation seems pretty grim at the moment though.  I'm only 3 days in on this attempt, and I've done 5 alien investigation missions (plus 3 raids on Sirius in the first 10 in-game minutes, heh).  I can't stand to let any group get infiltrated, so when I see the UFOs beam down troops, I launch an investigation to that location as soon as the UFOs are driven back.  As a result though I just did a very iffy bughunt with only 4 troopers.  Now I'm down to three.

My plan for an all-cyborg army is proving untenable.  I'm recruiting people as soon as they come available - completely regardless of stats.  I even made a donation to the grav-ball league based on a sketchy forum post suggesting that it'll increase my recruiting pool.  But I'm still taking casualties faster than I get reinforcements.  My score is high for now (and I haven't had to save-scum yet) but I hope the aliens take a few days off while my forces replenish.  Somehow I'm not optimistic.

And the guy I lost on my last mission was my last cyborg ):  I've been allied with SELF but they've been stingy with volunteers.  Here's hoping that changes fast.  I need those recruits yesterday, so hopefully tomorrow.

Edit:  Nope.  1 (one) recruit today.  At least they're a cyborg, but still... Screw the grav-ball league.  Just for this, I'm throwing my lot in with Synthovision.  As soon as rebuild my fighting force...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:23:18 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: October 22, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »

Do aliens still attack X-COM bases in the nuXCOM?

In the Long War mod, they attack more often.  Whenever you piss them off enough and they have enough resources to mount an attack.

As I understand it, if you can totally keep them on the ropes then they might not be able to fund an attack.  If they're swimming in it, they might come every month to beat you down.

In this case, a lost base defense does not cost you the game.  The aliens kill scientists and damage your stockpiles, but as long as you still have some allied countries then the regular military comes to bail you out and the game goes on.  with some losses.

I have not gotten that far yet, though.  Thinking of restarting to play Beta 14.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8427 on: October 22, 2014, 04:37:58 pm »

I have not gotten that far yet, though.  Thinking of restarting to play Beta 14.
AFAIK the saves from the previous version are compatible with the new one.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: October 22, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

Beaglerush kept playing his campaign on Beta 14. Be aware though that one of the change is that soldiers costs 30$ apiece, but you get more of them (40) at start. So switching save might fuck up the balance.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: October 22, 2014, 04:48:27 pm »

Thinking of restarting to play Beta 14.
AFAIK the saves from the previous version are compatible with the new one.

No, they're totally incompatible.  I'm not just restating because I'm a whining weenie that can't handle a few setbacks, HOW DARE YOU, SIR.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 625