Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959229 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8400 on: October 21, 2014, 08:10:03 pm »

Russian/ eastern European accents are wonderful to my ears.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: October 21, 2014, 08:17:05 pm »

The languages are still too limiting, though. That, and the lines that I understand in other languages sound like they were google-translated, though that may just be related to the original lines in English also being terrible and bland.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »

They're all languages the game was translated into AFAIK.  That way they didn't have to pay for a voice actor in each language.  Well I mean they did, but... you know what I mean.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:19 pm »

Well, this sucks. Missions are coming at me so quickly that I now have just three soldiers fit for duty to investigate a downed UFO. Everyone else is wounded from the last few missions, the most recent of which occurred only two days before. I hadn't realized that I was running so low and it'll be days before any new troops arrive :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: October 21, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »

Well I was feeling pretty proud of myself that I had managed to secure a landed harvester in May.

Then a terror ship hit France.  For the second time.  There's just no possible way to save them.  Even if I saved HALF the civilians, and I cant imagine doing that in LW, I'd still lose them.  I guess I have the rest of the continent to think about, though.  Or is it a better plan to abandon Europe?

If I manage to do a base assault and bring them back in, what will their panic be like?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »

What's the best way to deal with Stalkers? The only solution I've found that even half-way works is to gather everyone up and have them all Overwatch until the Stalker decloaks and attempts to strangle someone. Of course, if you don't deal enough damage to instantly kill them (you need AT LEAST two shooters to do this, in other words at least three soldiers gathered together) they do an unavoidable 2 damage to the unlucky victim and then you have to waste more shots to finish the damn thing off. I think at least half of my wounded soldiers are in the medical bay because of these guys.

Aaaaaaand now I just watched my best remaining soldier get one-shot by a Sectoid's plasma pistol. One Heavy and one Sniper to take on an entire UFO? I'm thinking I should just cut and run.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: October 21, 2014, 09:39:20 pm »

When you see two stalkers, just have everyone stand somewhat close to each other and keep overwatching until they show themselves.

They'll show themselves within two or three turns. Usually one at a time.

Do not under any circumstances aggro any more enemies until the stalkers are dead.

Also if you're observant, feel free to watch the terrain for signs that something invisible is moving through. For example, birds flying or a corpse being pushed aside. Then use grenades or rockets to nuke that position.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »

There's also using AoE weapons where you think they might be. Since they still have to crash through windows, etc. you can occasionally know where they are.
Though they do get to move after cloaking, so keep that in mind.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: October 21, 2014, 10:10:40 pm »

How many kills are needed for a Squaddie to promote? My Heavy, the last soldier alive on the UFO recovery, has 5 kills now (4 of them in this last mission) and somehow failed to promote. Oh well, he'll be getting all of my medals for his amazing duel against the Outsider.

In related news, I don't have a single uninjured squad member at this time :/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:54 am »

Well I was feeling pretty proud of myself that I had managed to secure a landed harvester in May.

Then a terror ship hit France.  For the second time.  There's just no possible way to save them.  Even if I saved HALF the civilians, and I cant imagine doing that in LW, I'd still lose them.  I guess I have the rest of the continent to think about, though.  Or is it a better plan to abandon Europe?

If I manage to do a base assault and bring them back in, what will their panic be like?
Don't be afraid to let a continent go in Long War. I've lost China, Japan, and India in mine. IIRC you will also eventually be able to re-conquer lost nations, and you can keep going as long as you have some sort of backing.

When you see two stalkers, just have everyone stand somewhat close to each other and keep overwatching until they show themselves.

They'll show themselves within two or three turns. Usually one at a time.

Do not under any circumstances aggro any more enemies until the stalkers are dead.

Also if you're observant, feel free to watch the terrain for signs that something invisible is moving through. For example, birds flying or a corpse being pushed aside. Then use grenades or rockets to nuke that position.
The easiest way in Long War is to take battle scanners until you can give your Scouts the perk which gives them free scanners.

In general? When you know cloaked Stalkers are around, check your troopers' movement blocks carefully for apparently empty tiles which are impassable.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:04 am »

...but don't Stalkers fly? ???

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:38 am »

...but don't Stalkers fly? ???
They occasionally go to ground level while on the hunt, and since cloaked pods often like to travel together that can let you bag groups with explosives fairly reliably.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:32 am »

I think I just lost my chance to do the fishing village mission. I decided to wait a couple of days for some of my best units to get out of sick bay (since I would have been going in with 4 rookies otherwise), and by the time that happened the mission disappeared  :-[

Any chance it'll come back, or will I have to wait for the next game to do it?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: October 22, 2014, 01:11:20 am »

afaik if you pass up the chance to do Site Recon (aka the fishing village mission) you don't get another shot at it. Well, at least that's what my current classic ironman run suggests.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:52 am »

In regards to invisible enemies, if you're playing with Enemy Within and have sufficient Meld to spare, having one soldier with Bioelectric Skin can be a real advantage. It confers strangle immunity to the soldier with the modification, but more importantly, invisible enemies that enter its field of effect are immediately knocked out of stealth. At least, that's the way it works in vanilla Enemy Within; I can't speak to any changes made by mods.

Still, it's funny to see a group of Seekers trigger within the AoE of the ability, try to enter stealth, and immediately become visible again.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 625