Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959060 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8250 on: August 29, 2014, 12:22:26 pm »

Frozen Synapse?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #8251 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:56 pm »

What would this be like if it was real time with pause?

You might wanna try the series that spawned UFO Afterlight and UFO Aftermath. I think there's 3 in total. They're exactly that. Pausable real-time. I personally disliked that you could no longer really strategise as much. It lost its optimisation potential for me.

Still definitely worth a look!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: August 29, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

Less interesting?

More seriously, it would probably be nearly unrecognizable in terms of mechanics, both NuCOM and OldCOM, as both rely pretty heavily on things which are explicitly dependent on the nature of turn-based games; the former with things like reaction fire, suppression, &c, and the latter with things like grenade relays, also reaction fire, &c.

There's also the aspect that things would functionally /be/ turn-based in all but name, because playing without tapping pause every two or three seconds would inevitably lead to total squad wipes when you turn a corner into a pack of chryssies or something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:50 pm »

I mean it could autopause like FTL does on encounters.

Not really seeing the appeal though.  Part of why new-com was successful is because its so slick; the combat is very fast in terms of how many actions and turns it takes for one side of a fight to win.  Most of the delays in the game are just the player thinking.  Plus the junk missions of course, but a shift to real time wouldn't change that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: August 29, 2014, 10:45:55 pm »

It would be this. It's one of the original concept pieces.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:50 am »

That still seems the same turn based game we got now, only it was conceived as cinematic as hell.

You can see who's turn it is and which enemy is moving, all the shooting and screaming and reacting in between is just dressing.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: August 30, 2014, 12:48:29 am »

If you can get past the art, there is a RTwP X-Com game, XCom Apocalypse. It changes a lot but I still really enjoyed it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: August 30, 2014, 01:09:10 am »

That still seems the same turn based game we got now, only it was conceived as cinematic as hell.

You can see who's turn it is and which enemy is moving, all the shooting and screaming and reacting in between is just dressing.
That's actually kind of cool.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: August 30, 2014, 07:35:20 am »

Yeah, i think it would have been cooler than the combat system of occasionally popping a shot off.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:52 am »

Spoiler: Xcom Apocalypse! (click to show/hide)

Oh. Already been brung up. Meh.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »

That's actually kind of cool.

Oh I agree, but apparently they couldn't pull it off, so they settled for a more standard turn based, where everyone just does some idle animation popping in and out of cover. The closest to this is when someone uses Suppressive Fire, which then loops an infinite bullet animation. I would have liked more screaming and fake panicking :D

Apocalypse stuff

I actually quite like this game. In fact the turn-based mode in it was broken as hell so paused-realtime was probably the only decent way to play it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:48 pm »

Pfft, yeah, like dual-wielding two machineguns wasn't broken in RT for Apocalypse...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: August 30, 2014, 08:14:35 pm »

Pfft, yeah, like dual-wielding two machineguns autocannons wasn't broken in RT for Apocalypse...
FTFY
Later on i had androids going akimbo with devastator cannons on full auto... they most of their kills were colateral.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: August 31, 2014, 03:55:35 am »

Come to think of it...  Dual wielding pretty much anything in realtime was kinda broked.  Even just stuff like the stun grapples could pull off some fun times.

...and what was the name of that full-auto rocket launcher again?  Another "fun times" device when twinned.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:04 am »

Come to think of it...  Dual wielding pretty much anything in realtime was kinda broked.  Even just stuff like the stun grapples could pull off some fun times.

...and what was the name of that full-auto rocket launcher again?  Another "fun times" device when twinned.

Well ther was the Autocannon that was pretty much an unguided micro rocket launcher when used with HE or Inc ammo.
But you are probably thinking about the marsec mini rocket launcher that fires homing missiles... and can be set to auto... and i think it has 5 rockets in a clip but i'm not too sure now.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 625