Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959039 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8205 on: July 03, 2014, 07:17:13 pm »

So I installed Long War, tried it out.

All my soldiers start the mission damaged for 1 or 2 health. I suspect this is due to the fatigue system not working completely right. I get no soldiers with "fatigue" because everyone is counted wounded after a mission instead. Whatever the reason, it makes the game slightly more challenging at the start because for some inexplicable reason my soldiers wind up with just 3 or 4 health.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: July 03, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

Actually, I think that's a side effect of the two starter armour types. I don't think it handles armour that adds no health very well (as the tac vest does) so it shows it as one health injured. Wearing the tac armour as opposed to the vest shows full health on start with the vest still 'injured'.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »

That's bug with beta 12. They changed some things involving things that effect stats, but forgot to update some others, so now equipment that adds health doesn't do so properly. There's a fixed file below the download for beta 12. It's called "Long War EW Beta 12 XComGame upk fix".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »

So how do I install the UPK? Just drag and drop into the XEW folder or what?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: July 03, 2014, 08:34:56 pm »

That's what I did, and it seems to have fixed it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: July 04, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »

Long war! Toot toot!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just left the mission just after making this screenshot because there was simply no point in even trying... and that was literally the second turn.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: July 04, 2014, 02:07:50 pm »

Maybe its hardcoded to give you blaster bombs at the end so they don't want it to be winnable?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: July 04, 2014, 02:09:34 pm »

Flashbangs and Suppression are your friends.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: July 04, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »

Yeah, that mission was a nightmare in Long War. I almost, almost made it to the end. And then two more of those thin bastards had to pop down and gun the rescued man down from on top of a car.

How is the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in long war, if anyone knows? Horrifically awful?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: July 04, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

I'm more interested in the lil' fishing village, myself. That gotta be fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: July 04, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »

Yes, I can imagine.

I just finished the one I mentioned, and it actually wasn't too bad. There were 16 aliens overall, but I only lost one guy, and that was due to an exploding car. So really, it was my fault.

It was still an annoying mission, but maybe I'm getting better at this game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »

I beat that mission with three grenadiers, two shotgun assaults, a scout sniper and a rookie..

I just hid in the bottom right corner until everything was dead. I didn't mean to do that. I advanced up and saw how many bleeding thin men there were and could only run back. Total killcount was 18.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »

Flashbangs and Suppression are your friends.

After 1 turn everyone was flanked. there were 4 thin men on overwatch. One of my guys got hit by a seeker plasma bolt Zhang and one of my LMG users (supresors) were covered in acid.
On top of that one of my guys were choked by a seeker so he was pretty much useless for the turn.

Also most thin men were way out of flashbang range... i just started the mission wrng because unmodded i'd go through the middle overwatching every other tunr to get rid of paratroopers... it's not really possible if there are 7 thin men right out of the box to greet me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:11:20 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: July 04, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »

I'd really recommend against suppression unless you outnumber the aliens at least 2:1.  Better to just stick a gun down the enemy's throat, especially if you spent flashbangs that turn.  Or if the alien you're suppressing is disproportionately dangerous such as a Mechtoid.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:31 pm »

Ok so i "completed" that mission. Bunched everyone in the left corner and wethered the onslaught.
By the end most ofm y squad was hanging in there by the skin of their teeth with 2 or even 1 HP left... but i cleared it all I had zhang right next to the exac zone when one last thin man jumped in.
No big problem i have a scout with LR... she only has 2 HP but it would take extraordinary bad luck for her to die right?
Well he hit and killed her... worse still this made zhang panic and run into the exac zone... and that crashed the game... so yeah.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 625