Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958830 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8115 on: June 22, 2014, 05:22:11 pm »

Lone wolf is easy. You only need to clear one UFO with just the one guy. Just play like normal until the late game (preferably before etherals or sectopods) when you have a superpowered soldier or mec and go to town.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8116 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »

I wonder if anyone has managed to do a full lone wolf/Ain't No Cavalry Comin' campaign yet? i.e. your starting heavy as the only soldier in XCOM.

edit:
Lone wolf is easy. You only need to clear one UFO with just the one guy. Just play like normal until the late game (preferably before etherals or sectopods) when you have a superpowered soldier or mec and go to town.
I found it easiest to do on the first crash site with my first heavy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:27:55 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:14 pm »

I wonder if anyone has managed to do a full lone wolf/Ain't No Cavalry Comin' campaign yet? i.e. your starting heavy as the only soldier in XCOM.
I tried it with an assault (don't play tutorial ever, so no starting heavy for me) on easy and my impression is it pretty rapidly gets impossible.  Once mutons appear the sheer difference in health, actions per turn, and damage potential gets overwhelming.  Anything consumable (medikits, rockets, presumably sources of ghost if you get that far) basically doesn't matter because you'll use it on one wave and then you'll have to fight 3+ more.  This was back in EU too, now the modified exp gains should REALLY make it impossible.

Also I don't think the lower difficulties' last man standing cheats trigger if you start with only one soldier.  You have start with more than one and lose people until you're down to one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: June 22, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »

Well, I just enabled the autosave and remembered to verify files for the shadow patch. The second try now has an interesting squad feature. I have an Irish, Scotsman, and a Englishman, but in order to keep internationalism they had to throw in a token South Korean.

The first run through had the first 5 females of the group were all natural redheads. No, seriously I didnt have to do anything except turn the hair style to physics enabled pony tails (because that shit is hilarious that they made it work with physics.)
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:29 am »

So wow...The Long War is CRAZY hardcore.

Just got a Large UFO landing in the US as like my fifth mission. I knew damn well it would probably be impossible, but I figured I would see what I could do with it anyway.

So started out and immediately got hit by a squad of around five chrysallids. Reload. Don't charge in blindly this time, instead have my grenadier throw one right where they started clustered. This time they came out and got right near her, and my rocketeer took out most of them in one shot, while my other dudes mopped up the rest.
This is when a group of Thin Men came at me from my flank, pretty much immediately crit'd my grenadier (I had no medpacks, so she was totally screwed.)
Luckily I had taken out the rest of the rapebugs at this point, so I could quickly reposition and come out on top of that firefight.

Ok, so two squads down, only one casualty. So far, so adequate. Then a squad with a muton and some floaters come out of the front of the ship. Joy.
Took them down with minimal damage.
Started scouting the ship out in earnest and came upon a squad of jokes seekers. Got rid of them, more scouting, more seekers, more victory.

Then I get to what I assume is the bridge, position my squad around the doors, open it up and find....FOUR OUTSIDERS. ONE HAS TWENTY HEALTH. ALL OUTSIDERS REGEN 3 PER TURN. FUCKBERRIES.

Ok, I can do this, I still have 5 squadmates, two have shotguns, one has a SAW and then I have my rocketless rocketeer and my scout with her marksman rifle (its like a sniper, but you can move and use it.)
The battle goes pretty well, though it is punctuated by multiple reloads to fix minor tactical errors that would quickly become major ones. I take out one of the "only has ten health" bastards through flanking by shotgun and much luck with every single other persons gun.
The other two lesser ones flee out to the fields, and I use the opportunity to do much flanking, lots shotgunning of the big boss. He goes down. Two left.

So much repositioning and re-repositioning and "why the hell can't I find a damn sniping point for this scout" later....the bridge gets swarmed by more chrysallids. FUCK. THIS.

Yeah...that wasn't really winnable.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:25 am »

Not doing it on Impossible Ironman? Tut tut, BFEL.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: June 29, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »

Bitch, fuck yo' impossible ironman. OUTSIDER. TWENTY. HEALTH.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: June 29, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »

Bitch, fuck yo' impossible ironman. OUTSIDER. TWENTY. HEALTH.
Step One: Get Gud.
Step Two: Win at Long War I/I every time with no fatalities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: June 29, 2014, 06:06:44 pm »

That doesn't really sound hardcore, that sounds stupid and impossible.  People always seem to think shit like that is "hardcore"
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

Well... It is called impossible difficulty.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: June 29, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »

That doesn't really sound hardcore, that sounds stupid and impossible.  People always seem to think shit like that is "hardcore"

It's a joke about a youtube series i think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ&list=PLXctaw5JGF4LcidFVdkQMV1tc2DfC8x3D&index=1
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »

Yo, vets, how do you take down a Sectopod without anyone getting killed? This is by far my biggest issue, I've never beaten the game because of these motherfuckers.

Addendum: I want to take it a bit further and say one Sectopod isn't too bad, if I can use a Heavy as a 1-turn sponge and unload all my firepower during the following turn. Nah, it's when you have to deal with 2 or 3 in a single mission.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:39:56 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: June 29, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »

Shredder rockets.  Electropulse.  Double-tap.  Rapid Fire.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »

Shredder rockets.  Electropulse.  Double-tap.  Rapid Fire.
Also suppression, SHIVs for drawing fire and suppressing, lots of explosives, heavies with heat ammo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 625