Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958904 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7785 on: February 10, 2014, 07:52:41 pm »

It could be more simply solved by effective placement of chryssalids. Hiding them around tight corners, doorways, etc. This way you don't spot them out in the open, but at the same time don't guarantee death just for finding them.

And like you say, damage isn't a problem with balancing chryssalids, because they kill fleshy targets instantly.
I remember once I was playing the terror mission where you have all the destroyed tanks lined up, on CI.    I had finally managed to get a competent team raised up, and was advancing slowly.  My only contacts were two chrysallids, who had promptly retreated.   I reached the entrance to the warehouse, and was about to enter when I revealed some floaters.     I got my men in a fortified position and opened fire, but more floaters arrived.   I was confident enough that I would be able to fight them off, and kill two of the six.   My men were all in heavy cover, so I ended my turn confident that only one person would die at most.   It was then the chrysallids appeared.   They jumped down from the roof of the warehouse, and immediately infected my sniper and heavy.   I'm sure you can guess the rest of what happened.   
So yeah, if a chryallid can get close then they can do some major damage.   So all you'd need for the elite version really is improved AI and some improved stealth.   Make them no longer make noise, and make them invisible if they don't move.   So they sit in ambush, and let your squad go by.   Then, once they are busy shooting at the main force of mutons, they burst out, taking down your most vital soldiers.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »

It could be more simply solved by effective placement of chryssalids. Hiding them around tight corners, doorways, etc. This way you don't spot them out in the open, but at the same time don't guarantee death just for finding them.

And like you say, damage isn't a problem with balancing chryssalids, because they kill fleshy targets instantly.
But they don't. Once you have even Carapace armor there's a chance your soldiers can survive a Chryssalid strike. Just about anybody in Titan armor won't get instant-killed. Hmm....if you don't want to increase their base damage, maybe they can shoot out armor piercing spikes as an area attack that does little damage but makes your soldiers more vulnerable to harm?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: February 10, 2014, 08:47:11 pm »

Shredder Spikes? Scary.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »

It would have been neat for the Reapers to have been included. I just love those fuzzy cyborg T-Rexs. They probably could have made them more unique by playing around with their enhancements somehow

I for one an in favor of suicide reapers with bombs strapped to their backs.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:14 pm »

If I wasn't so burned out on XCOM at the moment, I could get into this start.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: February 10, 2014, 11:56:17 pm »

What, you mean starting the game, and burning down the Officer Training Academy? That would suck.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: February 11, 2014, 12:25:37 am »

Or you could do a regular Classic/Impossible start, you don't get the OTS in the start :P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: February 11, 2014, 12:34:45 am »

What, you mean starting the game, and burning down the Officer Training Academy? That would suck.
The training school eats off some power, so depending on circumstances it could allow you to save money in the first month by allowing you not to build a generator. You hardly ever need the things the school offers in the first month or two anyway.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:27 am »

And everyone starts a game with three steam vents.

Geez.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7794 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:41 am »

After reading the last page, I now want to make an Aliens mod where your troops are the marines and the aliens are Xenomorphs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:41 am »

Or you could do a regular Classic/Impossible start, you don't get the OTS in the start :P
I was wondering about that.  You start with a free OTS on lower difficulty levels, then? 

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:26 am »

I did an Easy start in which there's a free OTS :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: February 11, 2014, 11:23:24 am »

You know, I would play Classic and Impossible way more often if there was a way to tune them into not including the panic spread increases. More difficult combat I like. But making the already grating (after the original X-Com) Geoscape strategic mode, even more frustrating...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: February 11, 2014, 11:38:13 am »

Why is it more grating with X-Com?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:51 am »

You know, I would play Classic and Impossible way more often if there was a way to tune them into not including the panic spread increases. More difficult combat I like. But making the already grating (after the original X-Com) Geoscape strategic mode, even more frustrating...

You can with just a little bit of modding. Change it so that satellite placement and abduction mission successes give you less panic reduction on the specific country but include some continent-wide panic reduction. It helps a lot to remove the RNG influence on whether or not you lose a country while keeping consequences to failed missions. It's what I normally run with, although my current run of EW is vanilla so I can get the full experience.

Finally got through the base defense mission. Turns out my carefully crafted teams kind of bit me on this mission, since I had a mix of my top people from each team. While they're all very good, they're also not specifically designed to work with one another and that made things a bit more difficult than I'd have liked. Especially since I didn't get my top Assault as he was off on an Exalt infiltration mission at the time. Nor did I have any MEC troopers.

But it was fun and challenging. Did have to restart a few points but overall it went smoothly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 625