Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958850 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7770 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:23 am »

Ooo, what if it wasn't covert? You could have missions like levelling a building to knock out an alien transmitter, deploy anti-UFO towers in cities around the world and fund fortifications against larger scale alien assaults. Turning cities into fortresses would be a neat angle on the base defence mechanic.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:37 am »

Hmm....you know, EXALT missions take place in supposedly covert conditions. That means there really should be civilians. I bet EXALT could do some interesting things with Chryssalid parts, Meld, and a total disregard for ethics.

I had one EXALT mission in that bombed-out military base map. "Yeah, sure, 'covert op'. That's why all the tanks have massive plasma holes in their sides, and the entire facility is on fire."
Well obviously. Whatever was happening at the awesome party you missed, compared to it your little scuffle with laser cannons and rocket-punching robots is a covert op.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: February 10, 2014, 03:39:45 am »

So I've been thinking. Chryssalids. Love em, but during late game they stop being scary. They need something...more. There should be an Elite Chryssalid. Thoughts? I've mostly only been able to come up with ideas for the Elite Zombie (grows chitinous plates, can cocoon at low health to raise the odds of a successful hatching, can produce a normal Chryssalid even if killed). Unfortunately, I don't have much for the Elite Chryssalid itself. They're insectoid, so...wings? Explosive death?

The other missing niche is Elite Thinmen, but that one is obvious (Snakemen).

Anything but elite thinmen. No god no please no.

How about a chryssalid broodmother. Massive hp and protective armor making her tough to crack, but doesn't move or attack. All she does is sit there and spawn a bunch regular chrysallids every turn. Real hard to advance and take out the source when you've got  constant waves of chrysalids coming your way.

Although I suppose that wouldn't make sense since they reproduce throughs eggs in host but eh, alien genetic engineering.

Hmm....you know, EXALT missions take place in supposedly covert conditions. That means there really should be civilians. I bet EXALT could do some interesting things with Chryssalid parts, Meld, and a total disregard for ethics.
To be fair once you send in a strike team the mission isn't really covert anymore. I guess the covert part is from dispatching of the agent to them getting caught by exalt armed forces.
Actually does the operative ever succeed without getting caught? Always have to send in strike one...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:44:10 am by Jelle »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:06 am »

Chryssalids are special in that they seem to be species-hardened (the same chryssalid appears from a shark as does from a human). A cybernetically enhanced "Chryssalid Terror Tank" could be a unit combining the speed and infectivity of a Chryssalid, the armor of a Sectopod, and the melee power of a Berserker. It'd be a nigh-unstoppable melee powerhouse that can smash walls, tear MECs apart with a few strikes, and is immune to poison, mind control, and fire, on top of its regular infectivity bonus. And it could get the Sectopod's little auto-overwatch cannon if you're feeling it's too easy. Of course, it's still a regular Chryssalid in the core - infected people still become regular Chryssalids. But it's a damn sight more effective than a single Chryssalid at tearing into the middle of your squad. About its only weakness would be the final level MEC's shock weapon.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:53 am »

Indeed.

I had one EXALT mission in that bombed-out military base map. "Yeah, sure, 'covert op'. That's why all the tanks have massive plasma holes in their sides, and the entire facility is on fire."
"I didn't say it stayed covert once I was ready for takeoff. I kinda blew my cover when I found that bastard who killed Rogers and shot him..."

Chryssalids are special in that they seem to be species-hardened (the same chryssalid appears from a shark as does from a human). A cybernetically enhanced "Chryssalid Terror Tank" could be a unit combining the speed and infectivity of a Chryssalid, the armor of a Sectopod, and the melee power of a Berserker. It'd be a nigh-unstoppable melee powerhouse that can smash walls, tear MECs apart with a few strikes, and is immune to poison, mind control, and fire, on top of its regular infectivity bonus. And it could get the Sectopod's little auto-overwatch cannon if you're feeling it's too easy. Of course, it's still a regular Chryssalid in the core - infected people still become regular Chryssalids. But it's a damn sight more effective than a single Chryssalid at tearing into the middle of your squad. About its only weakness would be the final level MEC's shock weapon.
Good lord. Why do you all hate your squads.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: February 10, 2014, 09:10:05 am »

So I've been thinking. Chryssalids. Love em, but during late game they stop being scary. They need something...more. There should be an Elite Chryssalid. Thoughts? I've mostly only been able to come up with ideas for the Elite Zombie (grows chitinous plates, can cocoon at low health to raise the odds of a successful hatching, can produce a normal Chryssalid even if killed). Unfortunately, I don't have much for the Elite Chryssalid itself. They're insectoid, so...wings? Explosive death?

The other missing niche is Elite Thinmen, but that one is obvious (Snakemen).

A Chrysallid unit that drives in a tank, and infects your shivs with little tank eggs.

Cyber cryssalids?
Chryssalid + Floater = ♥

Though you'd have to make it able to move again after flying. 

That's pretty much what they did in Terror from the Deep. It kinda worked.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:11:37 am by Sergius »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:28 am »

A Chrysallid unit that drives in a tank, and infects your shivs with little tank eggs.
That's just silly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7777 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:08 am »

That's just silly.
Any more silly than sentient slime in diving suits?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: February 10, 2014, 10:59:33 am »

It would have been neat for the Reapers to have been included. I just love those fuzzy cyborg T-Rexs. They probably could have made them more unique by playing around with their enhancements somehow
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:54 am »

If you want chryssalids to be more dangerous, just give their movement range and damage a large buff and give them that perk which allows them to dodge the first overwatch shot automatically.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: February 10, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »

That's just silly.
Any more silly than sentient slime in diving suits?
Don't underestimate slimes. They're tricky fuckers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »

If you want chryssalids to be more dangerous, just give their movement range and damage a large buff and give them that perk which allows them to dodge the first overwatch shot automatically.
Oh god.

Or, just give them stealth, Thin Man jumping, and maybe wall-crawling and/or -smashing. Then have them attack in large packs.
Maybe make them a bit frailer, though.
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:35 pm »

They can already jump like thinmen. A sniper on a ladderless roof is not safe...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:53 pm »

The only problem Chryssalids have in the lategame isn't their damage, but their range. Melee range means they're not a threat at all.

So all you have to do is overcome the range problem.

So you could fuck over players by doing things like:

1. Chryssalids in the late game start out burrowed underground or hidden inside stage props like cars and trash bins. Any XCOM soldier that walks by gets om-nom-nomed.

2. Chryssalids can jump at XCOM operatives from 6 tiles away. This will incapacitate the XCOM soldier that's been jumped onto until the soldier dies or the Chryssalid is shot off.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: February 10, 2014, 07:07:45 pm »

It could be more simply solved by effective placement of chryssalids. Hiding them around tight corners, doorways, etc. This way you don't spot them out in the open, but at the same time don't guarantee death just for finding them.

And like you say, damage isn't a problem with balancing chryssalids, because they kill fleshy targets instantly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 625