Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958775 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7725 on: February 08, 2014, 12:56:46 am »

From the XCOM Wiki, however much faith you put in that......

Quote from: XCOM Wiki
Both Psi Lance and Rift can affect Robotic units; Rift produces substantial damage as these units are effectively treated as having 0 Will.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: February 08, 2014, 01:37:29 am »

So they're immune to mind-affecting skills (Mind Control, Psi Panic, and Mindfray) but not the telekinetic ones. That actually makes perfect sense, now that I think about it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: February 08, 2014, 06:25:08 am »

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.

Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)

There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.

I found the program again since Borderlands 2 is free for the weekend and is giving me the same BSOD that X-Com gives. It's called Orochi-CEG. In retrospect since reading that it has something to do with processors and not video card problems, I'm unsure if your problem is the same as mine, but I figured I would post about it regardless.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:27:56 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: February 08, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.

Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)
There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.
I found the program again since Borderlands 2 is free for the weekend and is giving me the same BSOD that X-Com gives. It's called Orochi-CEG. In retrospect since reading that it has something to do with processors and not video card problems, I'm unsure if your problem is the same as mine, but I figured I would post about it regardless.
I hope you're not offended by this, but once more I'd like to ask for someone to confirm what Duuvian is saying here.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: February 08, 2014, 08:29:39 am »

Jeez how do those SHIVs get so much accuracy and crit rating. I've honestly never used a SHIV before, mostly because I thought they were rubbish. But there they are shooting things with sniper accuracy getting critical hits left and right.  :o

Also on the MEC soldiers; I've been using a single one for a good amount of missions now and I must agree it's a little strong. I can only imagine how hard a team of 4 mecs and 2 supports with improved medkits and arcs to keep them going would wipe he floor with anything the aliens can muster. I'm actually quite surprised they don't seem to target the mec to often despite the lack of cover, wich is fine since distortion field is freaking awesome.
Anyway what do you guys think would be required to balance the MEC? They should be a tad stronger then regular soldiers imo, on par with genetically modified ones maybe.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: February 08, 2014, 08:40:47 am »

Jeez how do those SHIVs get so much accuracy and crit rating. I've honestly never used a SHIV before, mostly because I thought they were rubbish. But there they are shooting things with sniper accuracy getting critical hits left and right.  :o

Also on the MEC soldiers; I've been using a single one for a good amount of missions now and I must agree it's a little strong. I can only imagine how hard a team of 4 mecs and 2 supports with improved medkits and arcs to keep them going would wipe he floor with anything the aliens can muster. I'm actually quite surprised they don't seem to target the mec to often despite the lack of cover, wich is fine since distortion field is freaking awesome.
Anyway what do you guys think would be required to balance the MEC? They should be a tad stronger then regular soldiers imo, on par with genetically modified ones maybe.
They need to appear later on. Make the cybernetics a more technologically finicky process (requiring a Foundry at the very least, and a Foundry research project to make each new MEC type ideally. Genemods are fundamentally easier - they are covered by the Meld Recombination research, and just require the facility. The MEC facility would then only appear once you have the first MECs ready for production.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: February 08, 2014, 09:18:59 am »

You would be hard pressed to even get four upgraded MECs in one playthrough, unless you drag it out for very long at the end. A single level 3 MEC suit costs 200 meld, and then there's a one time cost of 10 meld for the soldier, assuming no MEC trooper ever dies.

In my successful EW playthrough I had to wait with the temple ship for a couple of missions just to get enough meld for two fully upgraded MECs, having no MEC troopers die (costing more meld for MEC repair and new trooper) and only ever getting one gene-mod.

I could maybe see you getting three towards the end if you're completely blazing through the game, getting all canisters, but not otherwise. I think they're balanced by how costly they are, TBH.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: February 08, 2014, 10:50:24 am »

So, new round of I/I games!

First game, was at that one big gas station map, with all the trucks on one end with tons of high ground between to two billboards and the roofs, but they deployed me by the gas station rather than by the trucks, which was always done in EU. I learned that over by the backside of the gas station the lines of sight are buggy as all hell. Had one point where an open door continued to block the sight range of my soldiers. At another point a soldier couldn't see around a corner, which sucked since there was a sectoid right around that corner that I was trying to flank. So the sectoid just casually walked around the corner and killed my soldier. I quit after losing two soldiers to the first two sectoids.

Second game, while running up to a meld container I set off a mob in a bad position, and since it was the second turn I just quit right there cause there was no way I was getting out of that with less than one death.

Third game, code black in four turns, I think that's a new record! Entered and made sure the first room in the building was clear, than started moving towards a meld container on the other side of the building, had two soldiers take the roof, two in the building. When getting ready to breach towards the area with the meld, a mob patrols into my back, two of them stay back while the third blitzes towards the opposite side of the only heavy cover. So my two in the building have the choice of staying and getting flanked by two sectoids or moving towards the cover and getting flanked by the lone one. (I couldn't see the sectoid to shoot or pin down its position and nad it, and it had a safe advance to the actual flanking position so over watch didnt help.) So I moved my soldiers to the cover, they got flanked, then when I moved my two on the roof to support a mob came from the other side and killed those two.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:49 am »

Wimp. I've lost no fewer than 30 soldiers on an II mission and I'm still trying to succeed!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »

SHIVs get so much because of two reasons

1) They cannot take cover (which I consider to be the worst aspect of them in a crunch)
and
2) They do not get many abilities.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: February 08, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »

Yeah, except now they get identical versions of two high utility abilities (CCS and Suppression) as well as their own ridiculously powerful one, which is that they passively regen to full health always.

Personally I think MECs are well balanced for what they cost, while gene mods are OP.  Mimetic skin is all the gamebreaking fun of ghost armor without having an in-battle resource cost or being late game.  Secondary Heart turns the game into a different game that doesn't have permadeath.  And immunity to mind control has the same problem HEAT ammo had, where it renders a group of lategame enemies trivially easy to beat.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: February 08, 2014, 04:56:36 pm »

Secondary Heart turns the game into a different game that doesn't have permadeath.
If you can get to the end of a mission or a medkit fast enough.

And immunity to mind control has the same problem HEAT ammo had, where it renders a group of lategame enemies trivially easy to beat.
Are Rift, Psionic Lance, and stuff that trivial?
Sig

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: February 08, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »

And immunity to mind control has the same problem HEAT ammo had, where it renders a group of lategame enemies trivially easy to beat.
Are Rift, Psionic Lance, and stuff that trivial?
The enemies will still waste time trying to mind control though, and I've never seen them use Rift outside of Avenger.

And IMO Sectoid commanders are more dangerous than Ethereals, by the time you're facing Ethereals you should be more than capable of taking down a single psionic in two turns, even with their defense bonus. Sectoid commanders come in groups and with EW can spawn outside of a single predetermined point once a ufo.

Psionic Lance can still result in an unexpected death every now and then though.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:28:05 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: February 08, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

The enemies will still waste time trying to mind control though, and I've never seen them use Rift outside of Avenger.
That's dumb of them and rewatch SHIVCOM, respectively.
Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: February 08, 2014, 06:12:38 pm »

I too "fear" Sectoid Commanders more than Ethereals. One because like Sindain said, by the time I see an Ethereal, I can kill a Sectopod in one turn.

Two, Sectoid Commanders like to come with Mechtoids.
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 625