Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958725 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7695 on: February 07, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »

Speaking of Portent, does it repeat?  I skipped it because of all the horror stories I'd heard, figuring it would recur like Slingshot, but I haven't seen it again.  If I don't finish Portent is Progeny locked off?

I don't think so. I failed it on my successful run (i.e. some died others ran back to skyranger) and the mission never showed again. Neither did the follow-up missions. I don't know if it comes back if you refuse the mission, but I would assume not.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: February 07, 2014, 03:45:42 pm »

Because it's childish and false?
When has that ever impeded humor?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: February 07, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »

Because it's childish and false?
When has that ever impeded humor?
Ever since "humour" started listing "funny" as a requirement.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7698 on: February 07, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »

Oh god lighten up. It was funny.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7699 on: February 07, 2014, 04:40:26 pm »

On the subject of Country requests for tech and what not, here is something I wrote almost exactly a year ago:

Had an interesting council nation prompt today, from Germany, requesting a Sectopod wreck. Reason? To rebuild and re-purpose it 'reduce' the local panic, for 'defensive purposes, of course.' . According to the prompt after complying and reading the news bar afterwards, they were successful.

This makes me wonder, if they can restore a Sectopod into functioning condition, why are we stuck with crappy S.H.I.V.s?

This was before EW was announced and before I learned SHIVs were apparently good before EW.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: February 07, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »

I still want a Sectopod. Or, even better, a full alien squad in campaign.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: February 07, 2014, 05:57:33 pm »

I want a sectoid as a wacky team pet.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: February 07, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »

On the subject of Country requests for tech and what not, here is something I wrote almost exactly a year ago:

Had an interesting council nation prompt today, from Germany, requesting a Sectopod wreck. Reason? To rebuild and re-purpose it 'reduce' the local panic, for 'defensive purposes, of course.' . According to the prompt after complying and reading the news bar afterwards, they were successful.

This makes me wonder, if they can restore a Sectopod into functioning condition, why are we stuck with crappy S.H.I.V.s?

This was before EW was announced and before I learned SHIVs were apparently good before EW.
They probably just put their own crappy robotics inside of it.

So it looked like a Sectopod but it couldn't do anything beyond make noise or something like that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: February 07, 2014, 06:46:06 pm »

Sectopods are superior to SHIV's in only one respect...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »

They have a metric shirt ton of health and can fire twice in one turn and have an APE attack?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: February 07, 2014, 07:25:08 pm »

That is a lot of light plasma. You must capture aliens a lot more often than I do, since I almost never have enough plasma until rather late in the game.

The only plasma weapons I have to build are the sniper rifles, everything else is captured and, at present, I'm only lacking in the pistol department, so I have been trying to capture sectoids lately, but the little buggers are so damned squishy.
    I also had a request from the Germans for 6 EXALT Sniper Rifles, I think I only ever got two before they went laser, so I was never able to fulfill that one - apparently they wanted to infiltrate EXALT and needed their covert operatives to get used to the weapons.
    It also helps that for this run, I have limited myself to only 13 troops, any personell acquired as reward/enticement to attempt any given mission are immediately sacked - they are always subpar anyway.  I did a council mission last night where the reward was 160-ish credits, panic reduction and a Heavy at rank Major.  Soldier sucked so sacked.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: February 07, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »

That is a lot of light plasma. You must capture aliens a lot more often than I do, since I almost never have enough plasma until rather late in the game.

The only plasma weapons I have to build are the sniper rifles, everything else is captured and, at present, I'm only lacking in the pistol department, so I have been trying to capture sectoids lately, but the little buggers are so damned squishy.
    I also had a request from the Germans for 6 EXALT Sniper Rifles, I think I only ever got two before they went laser, so I was never able to fulfill that one - apparently they wanted to infiltrate EXALT and needed their covert operatives to get used to the weapons.
    It also helps that for this run, I have limited myself to only 13 troops, any personell acquired as reward/enticement to attempt any given mission are immediately sacked - they are always subpar anyway.  I did a council mission last night where the reward was 160-ish credits, panic reduction and a Heavy at rank Major.  Soldier sucked so sacked.

What difficulty are you playing on?

I play Classic only, which is tough enough for me that I tend to play everything very safe. Downside is that capturing aliens is only done under careful situations or when an easy opportunity pops up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: February 07, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

I'm playing on normal, but only with four personnel on the main team so it is artifically harder - I found that out last night when my team faced a sectopod last night, nerve-racking battle that lasted for twenty minutes as I attempted to kite the thing to death.  With the Assault doing 1 or two points damage each turn, plasma wielding support doing three points max, often less.  Sniper unleashing a disable weapon when possible, headshots or reloading.  MEC Trooper being fucking useless missing with the railgun more often than hitting and even when a shot connects it does only up to five damage.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: February 07, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »

Why could you only do 1 - 2 damage?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: February 07, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

Damage against sectopods is halved from all sources, and it sounds like he's using ballistics.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 625